Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has anyone else noticed this, three.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Has anyone else noticed this, three. Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
When it comes to the adverts I've noticed that females are depicted in ways that some may consider old fashioned, or antiquated. I've yet to see an advert that shows an empowered woman.

Meh, different cultures value different things. Who cares.

We can't apply American values to Korea, because Korea is Korea. Like "empowered women" and all that stuff...that's Amercian speak. We could ask why does every single Amercian commercial depict women that way? And ponder how odd it is to do that.

American commercials sell being in control, giving orders, being hard/cold, oportunistic, strong, savvy. Korean commercials sell fun, fresh, light-hearted, naive, feminine.

Different values.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Wait are we seriously wondering why commercials during sporting events are directed at the juvenile male mind?

Sorry, this isn't a Korean only phenomenon. Did we not watch sports at home? blah blah blah , blah blah blah [

blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah , blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .

blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .

blah blah .

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah , blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ? blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .

blah !

Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We can't apply American values to Korea, because Korea is Korea. Like "empowered women" and all that stuff...that's Amercian speak. We could ask why does every single Amercian commercial depict women that way? And ponder how odd it is to do that.

Why do you constantly think everything is American? American values, American speak, American commercial.
You need to remove your head from the stars (and stripes) and start thinking globally. There are many countries who encourage women to be empowered. Why is "empowered women" considered, by you, American speak. What is it about women having an equal standing to men that so many people are scared of?

Quote:
I mean it's not even a sexist issue to me. There are differences between men and women physically which allow more men to excel at sports than women.

Ok. Then why didn't the girls turn into black guys? Aren't they better than whites and Asians at basketball?
And why use basketball? It's a derivative of netball, which is one of the most feminine sports I know.
It may just be an advert, but what does it say about the culture that it exists in. Adverts like this reinforce the belief that most women are only good for looking pretty. This in turn gives guys the belief that they have the right to molest these girls.
Let's look at the bigger picture. Do you think the way that the majority of Korean men treat women is acceptable?
3DR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:

Why do you constantly think everything is American? American values, American speak, American commercial.
You need to remove your head from the stars (and stripes) and start thinking globally. There are many countries who encourage women to be empowered. Why is "empowered women" considered, by you, American speak. What is it about women having an equal standing to men that so many people are scared of?

Quote:
I mean it's not even a sexist issue to me. There are differences between men and women physically which allow more men to excel at sports than women.

Ok. Then why didn't the girls turn into black guys? Aren't they better than whites and Asians at basketball?
And why use basketball? It's a derivative of netball, which is one of the most feminine sports I know.
It may just be an advert, but what does it say about the culture that it exists in. Adverts like this reinforce the belief that most women are only good for looking pretty. This in turn gives guys the belief that they have the right to molest these girls.
Let's look at the bigger picture. Do you think the way that the majority of Korean men treat women is acceptable?

Lol @ turning a snickers commercial into a "this is why men molest women" issue.
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Lol @ turning a snickers commercial into a "this is why men molest women" issue.

LOL@your lol
If you look at the OP you'll see I raised more points than just a snickers commercial. I'm merely backing us out of this snickers shaped dead end you're driving the thread into.

I'm also going to LOL@you potentially LOLing@ my LOLing@your lol
3DR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoulman69 wrote:
Quote:

LOL@your lol
If you look at the OP you'll see I raised more points than just a snickers commercial. I'm merely backing us out of this snickers shaped dead end you're driving the thread into.

I'm also going to LOL@you potentially LOLing@ my LOLing@your lol

Ok knight in shining armor
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everything-is-everything wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Wait are we seriously wondering why commercials during sporting events are directed at the juvenile male mind?

Sorry, this isn't a Korean only phenomenon. Did we not watch sports at home? blah blah blah , blah blah blah [

blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah , blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .

blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah, blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .

blah blah .

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah , blah blah blah blah blah blah blah ? blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah . blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah .

blah !

I feel kind of honored that someone considers me at being such a level of craptastica that they would write that out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: