Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Time to go home?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Time to go home? Reply with quote

Time to go home if you're American?

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/laus.nr0.htm

State unemployment rates dropping.

Table B. States with statistically significant unemployment rate changes
from May 2013 to May 2014, seasonally adjusted
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Rate |
|-----------|-----------| Over-the-year
State | May | May | change(p)
| 2013 | 2014(p) |
Arizona ........................| 8.0 | 6.8 | -1.2
Arkansas .......................| 7.5 | 6.4 | -1.1
California .....................| 9.0 | 7.6 | -1.4
Colorado .......................| 6.9 | 5.8 | -1.1
Delaware .......................| 6.8 | 5.9 | -.9
Florida ........................| 7.5 | 6.3 | -1.2
Georgia ........................| 8.4 | 7.2 | -1.2
Idaho ..........................| 6.4 | 4.9 | -1.5
Illinois .......................| 9.2 | 7.5 | -1.7
Indiana ........................| 7.7 | 5.7 | -2.0
| | |
Kansas .........................| 5.6 | 4.8 | -.8
Louisiana ......................| 6.4 | 4.9 | -1.5
Maine ..........................| 6.7 | 5.7 | -1.0
Maryland .......................| 6.7 | 5.6 | -1.1
Massachusetts ..................| 7.0 | 5.6 | -1.4
Michigan .......................| 8.9 | 7.5 | -1.4
Montana ........................| 5.7 | 4.6 | -1.1
Nevada .........................| 10.1 | 7.9 | -2.2
New Hampshire ..................| 5.2 | 4.4 | -.8
New Jersey .....................| 8.4 | 6.8 | -1.6
| | |
New York .......................| 7.8 | 6.7 | -1.1
North Carolina .................| 8.3 | 6.4 | -1.9
Ohio ...........................| 7.4 | 5.5 | -1.9
Pennsylvania ...................| 7.5 | 5.6 | -1.9
Rhode Island ...................| 9.5 | 8.2 | -1.3
South Carolina .................| 7.9 | 5.3 | -2.6
Tennessee ......................| 8.4 | 6.4 | -2.0
Texas ..........................| 6.4 | 5.1 | -1.3
Utah ...........................| 4.5 | 3.6 | -.9
Vermont ........................| 4.3 | 3.3 | -1.0
Washington .....................| 7.0 | 6.1 | -.9
Wisconsin ......................| 6.8 | 5.7 | -1.1
p = preliminary.
yodanole

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are here as an economic refugee, then those numbers should comfort you as you seek a travel agency Smile
Yaya

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm hearing is that most of the jobs being created are in retail, meaning low paying and pretty much dead end.
cabeza

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
What I'm hearing is that most of the jobs being created are in retail, meaning low paying and pretty much dead end.

Sounds familiar...
Chaparrastique

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to go home? Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:

I suppose the Canadian unemployment rate would be more significant in the korean context..
PRagic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employment has been added disproportionately in service (retail and food).

We also have one of the lowest overall labor participation rates in the past 30 years; many have given up on getting hired or can't get full time work if they want it so they're stuck in part time.

If you're in IT, biotech, or other STEM fields, and you're willing to go where a job is, then you have a shot. I don't know anyone 'back home' who was unemployed over the course of this fiasco.

If you're in education and thinking of going the route of admin, then there are also jobs, largely owing to the charter school movement. For regular teachers K-12, getting hired has a lot to do with being able and willing to go where the jobs are.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I didn't say it was booming and the coasts are still hurting. Most states are seeing their rates go down. But, an economy doesn't technically reach full employment until the rate gets close to 5 % or less. Many states as of May 2014 seem to be closing in on this as many of these states have enacted economic reforms in recent years. The coastal states that haven't changed are still lagging behind.

If you have your debts paid off and you have some money saved up, you know where to move to.

If the national rate gets down to 5.5% or less and many states keep falling, then it will be better. I'm barely old enough to remember past recoveries. In the beginning of the recoveries, the rates go down and the jobs are said to be Mcjobs, but quickly expand into other industries. The demand for workers in this environment even pushes up wages. Prolonged unemployment rates of 4%ish with many states posting 2 to 3 % rates often means even stupid people get hired.

I remember visiting America during past booms and none of us could get over the rudeness or incomptetence of workers in many types of jobs. (These are the type of things in higher unemployment places that workers would be fired for very quickly.) But what's an employer to do if he can't get anyone else? (Similiar phenomenon here in Korea before the recession.) At any rate, if you're actually smart, ambitious, and hard working, you can advance in this type of environment. This is unlike the east coast of Canada (Maritimes) which is a total backwater and it doesn't matter how smart you are. In that environment, it's more about who you know, which family you're from, and if you speak French or not (which most folks don't adequately in English Canada).
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to go home? Reply with quote

Chaparrastique wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:

I suppose the Canadian unemployment rate would be more significant in the korean context..

Yeah, I think the majority of English teachers in Korea use to be Canadians. Out of the Canadians, the majority of those use to be Maritimes due to the miserable Mexico like economy.

But, post recession, the majority of teachers seem to be American. There are also a lot of South African teachers around. Though I think the SAers were closer to Seoul and Gyeong-gi do pre recession and got pushed to the more rural areas post recession due to those who spoke neutral American English getting the jobs in central Seoul.

Anyways, the Canadian ecnomy was pretty bad nation wide for a couple of decades. (Thank you very much Pierre Trudeau.) National government and some provinces introduced economic and budget reforms in the mid to late 1990's and the economy turned around and started growing again by the early to mid 2000's.

The Maritimes not changing much and Quebec only growing a bit. Ontario recovered but has been sluggish again as of late due to incomptetant local governments. Still they are the factory production center of the country and as the USA recovers so too will this area somewhat. The west hasn't even been touched by the recession. So, I guess there won't be as many Canadians coming over like years ago and we no longer constitute the majority here.

If the economy does truly recover, there will be less American college grads seeking to come over here. There may be less Canadians than before, except for east coasters. I think the only group that will prob still loom large will be the South Africans. But, there are less of them than there are Americans.

As a positive side note, the exchange rate has risen back to early 2008 levels. Some economists expect them to rise over the next year. I hope to 2006-2007 levels. My debt would have been gone if it hadn't for that 6 year sharp drop. Anyways, let's hope there's finally some kind of recovery and wages start going up again.
radcon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny. Back when the Canadian teachers far outnumbered the Americans the Canadians said it was because Canadians had a sense of adventure and loved to explore new cultures and not because of the poor Canadian economy.
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
That's funny. Back when the Canadian teachers far outnumbered the Americans the Canadians said it was because Canadians had a sense of adventure and loved to explore new cultures and not because of the poor Canadian economy.

When I first came here, I would say that the majority made the trip out of choice.

The thought of mundane doesn't appeal to everyone...
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
radcon wrote:

When I first came here, I would say that the majority made the trip out of choice.

There were a minority of teachers over here that were the so called "backpackers". If 2/3 of teachers were Canadians and over half of those were maritimers, the rest either came here due to a backpacking experience (Not needing the money due to rich parents) or because they were socially or mentally defective and couldn't function in regular society. There just weren't that many Americans coming over because their economy was booming and the exchange really sucked for them.

I do know I started hearing a lot about Korea in my local area in the early to mid 2000's by word of mouth. "Go over and make a lot of money." "Pay off your student laons more quickly." "It's cheap over there." Anyhew, as a lot of you already realize, I finally, after a couple of years, thinking long and hard about it, packed everything up, sold everything off I could, and finally made it over shortly before the end of the wave. One to two years later, the market here got flooded and flipped upside down and the exchange rate went to crap.

Also, that's not to say there aren't the lifers over here. But, many of the new grads do stay for 2 to 3 years and then go home. I'd say the majority of teachers here still fit that demographic.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
radcon wrote:

Yes, as in choosing to move to a place where jobs were easy to get and paying off debt was far easier than back home.

Canada, to me, is STILL an economic basket case.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to go home? Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
As a positive side note, the exchange rate has risen back to early 2008 levels. Some economists expect them to rise over the next year. I hope to 2006-2007 levels. My debt would have been gone if it hadn't for that 6 year sharp drop. Anyways, let's hope there's finally some kind of recovery and wages start going up again.

Although I no longer live in Korea, I have been waiting for the exchange rate to return to the 2006-2007 levels. Once it does, I will send my savings in Korea elsewhere.
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yaya wrote:
le-paul wrote:
radcon wrote:

Yes, as in choosing to move to a place where jobs were easy to get and paying off debt was far easier than back home.

How long do you think you'll stay here?

I'm not sure Canada (or anywhere) will go back to the 1980s level of economic activity. I had a pretty good job in Canada but I could hardly save anything. That said, I'm heading back soon, because I'm tired of living here (and I don't want to raise my son here - but that's a different topic).

Basically, I'd rather be poor in Canada than rich in Korea. Both of which are probable.
Yaya

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
Yaya wrote:
le-paul wrote:
radcon wrote:

How long do you think you'll stay here?

I'm not sure Canada (or anywhere) will go back to the 1980s level of economic activity. I had a pretty good job in Canada but I could still hardly save anything. That said, I'm heading back soon, because I'm tired of living here (and I don't want to raise my son here - but that's a different topic).

Basically, I'd rather be poor in Canada than rich in Korea. Both of which are probable.

Well, I'm not from Canada so I won't go there. I have a couple of options but Korea isn't totally out of the picture for me despite the major negatives of living here. I've had peaks and valleys in Korea but I'm thinking that over the long term, other places offer better opportunity.

Rich in Korea is a relative term. So many people here are miserable despite their nice apartments, cars and material items. In contrast, the residents of Smokey Mountain, a landfill near Manila, seem far happier despite their dire situation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: