Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Forced resignation
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
laurelletrb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Forced resignation Reply with quote

A couple of months ago my university sent all professors w/o Masters degrees letters of resignation. I did not sign mine as I'm not planning to extend my contract with the university. It also stated on the form that our last salary would be reduced if resignation was by own dismissal. My contract ends on the 28/02/13 and I have one paycheck to go. Today I received an email stating that if I did not sign the letter of resignation that I would not receive my final paycheck.

I haven't replied to the email and I will not resign. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.
EZE

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like another example of the Korean educational system frauding and exploiting foreign labor.

I'll send you a PM with a link to my website recruiting for the upcoming protest outside of the Korean embassy in Washington DC just as soon as I create the recruitment website and nail down a starting date for this.

Which university is it?
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sign anything. Go to the labor board after not getting your paycheck. Bring all of your documentation, including your contract, of course.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't sign anything....

They cannot legally withhold your pay (for any reason).

If they are more than 14 days late in paying you then you can file a complaint with the labor office. The labor office won't do anything until they are 14 days late.

Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, don't sign anything. I've seen universities try to force teachers to resign for all sorts of crazy reasons. None of which were contract violations. They want you to sign a paper so they can avoid taking responsibility. Don't do it.

Their actions tell you something about them.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn letters of resignation! Something similar happened to me last year. In my case, a few months after I had not signed the form, I was told that if I did not sign it, I would not receive my university pension. I asked the labor board but was told pension matters are outside their authority. Then, I talked to the Korean Teachers' Private Pension office and was told no letter of resignation is required for getting the pension, but they could not help me as they said it was a private matter between me and the university. Finally, at some point, the university administration told me if I did not sign it, the alternative was they would send a document to the Ministry of Education saying I had poor evaluations (bogus assertion). So, basically, I was blackmailed into signing the letter of resignation as I did some interest in returning to Korea.
newb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Job cuts are trickling up from primary/secondary schools to universities.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Forced resignation Reply with quote

laurelletrb wrote:
A couple of months ago my university sent all professors w/o Masters degrees letters of resignation. I did not sign mine as I'm not planning to extend my contract with the university. It also stated on the form that our last salary would be reduced if resignation was by own dismissal. My contract ends on the 28/02/13 and I have one paycheck to go. Today I received an email stating that if I did not sign the letter of resignation that I would not receive my final paycheck.

I haven't replied to the email and I will not resign. Any advice would be greatly welcomed.

Welcome to Korea.Confused Sorry to hear about your situation, but this kind of tactic is rather common in Korea. From the lowliest mom and pop hogwan to Samsung unethical labor practices are the norm here, not the exception. And they seem to think that foreigners are the easiest targets. "Sign this or we won't pay you." Who the %*#@ do these people think they are? As other posters have said, sign nothing. Make them fire you. And keep hold of any email communication you have with them on this matter. Give them enough rope to hang themselves....You wonder why Korea gets such a bad rap. It deserves each and every negative comment tossed its way.

Good luck to you.

Last edited by Scorpion on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Fox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
They want you to sign a paper so they can avoid taking responsibility.

Avoid taking responsibility for what? Is it some sort of horrible black mark on them if they simply do not renew your contract? Koglishman said his pension was at stake if he did not sign, which implies him not signing would actually save them money.
big_fella1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:

Avoid taking responsibility for what? Is it some sort of horrible black mark on them if they simply do not renew your contract? Koglishman said his pension was at stake if he did not sign, which implies him not signing would actually save them money.

After you start your 4th year they cannot legally get rid of you at private universities. If you are an E visa holder they can decide not to renew your visa but if you're an F visa holder they can't get rid of you without cause.

Private universities also need to give 4 months notice of non renewal.
newb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_fella1 wrote:

After you start your 4th year they cannot legally get rid of you at private universities. If you are an E visa holder they can decide not to renew your visa but if you're an F visa holder they can't get rid of you without cause.

Laughing

Who says?
Konglishman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
big_fella1 wrote:

Laughing

Who says?

I believe that only applies to Korean citizens and foreigners with F series visas.
Konglishman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_fella1 wrote:
Fox wrote:
Stan Rogers wrote:

That is correct, and I believe that is the reason I was given a 6 month contract as opposed to nothing at all. Of course, I could have hired a lawyer and fought for a full 2 year contract renewal, but I just didn't feel like taking the fight to that level.
diver

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

big_fella1 wrote:

1. After you start your 4th year they cannot legally get rid of you at private universities. If you are an E visa holder they can decide not to renew your visa but if you're an F visa holder they can't get rid of you without cause.

2. Private universities also need to give 4 months notice of non renewal.

I have seen the source for number 2 (http://english.mest.go.kr/web/42211/en/board/enview.do?bbsId=280&pageSize=10&currentPage=9&boardSeq=21807&mode=view) but I have never seen a source for number 1. I've seen it discussed on this board (and others) but I have never seen an official link. Anyone have one?
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please name and shame the unis doing this so I can avoid them in the future.
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: