Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Americans: Getting a Korean driver's license after 1/2013?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yfb

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Americans: Getting a Korean driver's license after 1/2013? Reply with quote

I'm American, and I'm looking to exchange my American driver's license for a Korean driver's license.

Previously for the notarial requirement you could go in and get it done at the US Embassy. However, the US Embassy recently posted this on their website:

Quote:
Please be advised that starting January 1, 2013, the U.S. Embassy will no longer provide notary certifications for U.S. issued drivers licenses. Republic of Korea is a member of the Hague Conference on Private International Law and recognizes apostilles issued by foreign authorities. To have your driver�s license apostilled, please contact the issuing state�s office of authentication for an apostille.

This makes getting one for Americans a lot more complicated.
Does anyone have any experience with this process getting an apostille for your driver's license from your state? Did you do it at home or from Korea?
hossenfeffer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through that hassle just after the new year. What a pain in the a$$. I wanted my license as soon as possible so I paid a lawyer ₩100,000 and they somehow got my drivers license apostilled. It took about a week.
sluggo832004

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got mine in fall of 2012 and I was complaining about going all the way up to seoul.

I can only imagine what its like now. lol.
Patrick Bateman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Korean driver's license last month, but I'm not sure if I did things the way that you're supposed to, or they enjoy to do.

Last time when I was home I visited the Secretary of State's office in Chicago (I'm from Illinois). I had called ahead of time and they said they apostille licenses, and to make a photo copy of both sides of the license and have it notarized. I did that, took it to them, paid $2, waited 20 minutes, and got the certificate. The Korean DMV was a bit suspicious, but it's a federal apostille, so they just accepted it.

Another option should be to pay 50,000 won and get a Korean license from scratch.
joesp

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last I heard, the US embassy was trying to get the Korean authorities to make it easier. Apparently, they didn't do that but solved their problem by refusing to assist their own citizens.

So, we're being squeezed by the Korean side that requires the stupid apostille and the embassy that refuses to give it to us.

Fantastic!
diver

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be easier (and cheaper and faster) to just go through the Korean licensing process. I did it a couple of years ago and it wasn't too painful. They offer it in English.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time one hears something from the American embassy, it seems like it's always either a fee increase or ceasing to provide a given service. Fee increases are not intrinsically unreasonable, but service cuts? Ridiculous.

As an aside, I wasn't required to have my license apostilled when I traded it in for a Korean one. They seemed to just believe me when I told them it was an American license. They didn't even really look at it. I probably could have just given them my old university student ID or something.
atwood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diver wrote:
It might be easier (and cheaper and faster) to just go through the Korean licensing process. I did it a couple of years ago and it wasn't too painful. They offer it in English.

What exactly does the process entail, if you don't mind? I don't want to give up my U.S. drivers license.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: