Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible to get into EPIK on a D-10 visa?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Threequalseven



Joined: 08 May 2012

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Possible to get into EPIK on a D-10 visa? Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I currently work at a hagwon together on an E-2 visa. Our contract is finished at the end of August, but we're thinking about extending it until the end of November. That way, we can take a month vacation, go home for a month or two, and hopefully come back in February for public school jobs.

Does anyone in the EPIK or public school system know if it's possible to get a D-10 on our way out in November and come back in February without doing all the paperwork again? I have no problem with doing the E-2 stuff all over again, I just want to know the best course of action for us. Thanks!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to get into EPIK on a D-10 visa? Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
My girlfriend and I currently work at a hagwon together on an E-2 visa. Our contract is finished at the end of August, but we're thinking about extending it until the end of November. That way, we can take a month vacation, go home for a month or two, and hopefully come back in February for public school jobs.

Does anyone in the EPIK or public school system know if it's possible to get a D-10 on our way out in November and come back in February without doing all the paperwork again? I have no problem with doing the E-2 stuff all over again, I just want to know the best course of action for us. Thanks!


Going to a PS job means all new paperwork (for the employer) regardless of your status in Korea (E2, D10, F4, F6) with immigration.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Weigookin74



Joined: 26 Oct 2009

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to get into EPIK on a D-10 visa? Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Threequalseven wrote:
My girlfriend and I currently work at a hagwon together on an E-2 visa. Our contract is finished at the end of August, but we're thinking about extending it until the end of November. That way, we can take a month vacation, go home for a month or two, and hopefully come back in February for public school jobs.

Does anyone in the EPIK or public school system know if it's possible to get a D-10 on our way out in November and come back in February without doing all the paperwork again? I have no problem with doing the E-2 stuff all over again, I just want to know the best course of action for us. Thanks!


Going to a PS job means all new paperwork (for the employer) regardless of your status in Korea (E2, D10, F4, F6) with immigration.

.


Really? WHy do you have to send for it over again? Don't you give it to your POE from before? I'm public. When I had to send for my documents before again, maybe 2 years ago, I gave it to the POE. I also give the medical check to them. Immigration doesn't even seem to care.

Is your visa now classified differently if you're hakwon versus public school? I thought something had happened classifying it differently before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to get into EPIK on a D-10 visa? Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
Threequalseven wrote:
My girlfriend and I currently work at a hagwon together on an E-2 visa. Our contract is finished at the end of August, but we're thinking about extending it until the end of November. That way, we can take a month vacation, go home for a month or two, and hopefully come back in February for public school jobs.

Does anyone in the EPIK or public school system know if it's possible to get a D-10 on our way out in November and come back in February without doing all the paperwork again? I have no problem with doing the E-2 stuff all over again, I just want to know the best course of action for us. Thanks!


Going to a PS job means all new paperwork (for the employer) regardless of your status in Korea (E2, D10, F4, F6) with immigration.

.


Really? WHy do you have to send for it over again? Don't you give it to your POE from before? I'm public. When I had to send for my documents before again, maybe 2 years ago, I gave it to the POE. I also give the medical check to them. Immigration doesn't even seem to care.

Is your visa now classified differently if you're hakwon versus public school? I thought something had happened classifying it differently before.


EPIK/GEPIK (NIIED/GPOE) want a new set when you apply for a new job through them.

It is not an immigration issue. It is not a visa issue.
It is not a MOE issue. It is not a registration issue.

It is an EMPLOYER issue.

If the employer says they want a new set or you don't get hired... what will you do... put up a fuss and get passed over for the next applicant or just give them what they want and get the job?

The choice seems obvious to me.

Does NOT apply for a private placement to a PS. In that case you can do a simple transfer or change of status but THEY may still come back looking for a new set as well if you didn't transfer from a PS to them.

.


Last edited by ttompatz on Wed May 01, 2013 11:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Lucas



Joined: 11 Sep 2012

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is your visa now classified differently if you're hakwon versus public school? I thought something had happened classifying it differently before.


Yes.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/korea/viewtopic.php?t=219055&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Threequalseven



Joined: 08 May 2012

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ttompatz! Even though it's more paperwork, it's good to know there's a definitive answer for this. Now I don't even need to bother worrying about all this D-10 business.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Threequalseven wrote:
Thanks ttompatz! Even though it's more paperwork, it's good to know there's a definitive answer for this. Now I don't even need to bother worrying about all this D-10 business.


A D10 will save you the hassle of a visa run and/or a trip to the consulate to get an E2.

If you live next to (or within a short drive of) a Korean consulate then it is a non-issue.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Weigookin74



Joined: 26 Oct 2009

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to let you know additionally, when I renew every year, I do get asked to submit a Korean criminal check too. So, stay out of trouble in Korea, too. Lol.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wanderkind



Joined: 01 Jan 2012
Location: Ireland

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Possible to get into EPIK on a D-10 visa? Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
Weigookin74 wrote:
ttompatz wrote:
Threequalseven wrote:
...
Does anyone in the EPIK or public school system know if it's possible to get a D-10 on our way out in November and come back in February without doing all the paperwork again?

..........
Going to a PS job means all new paperwork (for the employer) regardless of your status in Korea (E2, D10, F4, F6) with immigration.
.
.............

EPIK/GEPIK (NIIED/GPOE) want a new set when you apply for a new job through them.
......
Does NOT apply for a private placement to a PS. In that case you can do a simple transfer or change of status but THEY may still come back looking for a new set as well if you didn't transfer from a PS to them.
.


ttompatz...I'm a little bit unclear the last part.

So if you go from a private placement to a public school placement you don't need a new set of documents? Or is there a distinction between getting a PS job through EPIK or directly.

I'm in something of a similar situation to the OP. I'd like to pick up a new contract, ideally public school (moving from my current private employer), and I was considering EPIK.

But no joke, getting my first set of documents out of my university's bureaucratic labyrinth took AGES, and required repeated, in-person visits. It was literally like pulling teeth, from an aggressively uncooperative patient.

If I'm faced with having to do that again, I may just forgo the public school route completely.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ttompatz



Joined: 05 Sep 2005
Location: Kwangju, South Korea

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Possible to get into EPIK on a D-10 visa? Reply with quote

wanderkind wrote:
ttompatz...I'm a little bit unclear the last part.

So if you go from a private placement to a public school placement you don't need a new set of documents? Or is there a distinction between getting a PS job through EPIK or directly.

I'm in something of a similar situation to the OP. I'd like to pick up a new contract, ideally public school (moving from my current private employer), and I was considering EPIK.

But no joke, getting my first set of documents out of my university's bureaucratic labyrinth took AGES, and required repeated, in-person visits. It was literally like pulling teeth, from an aggressively uncooperative patient.

If I'm faced with having to do that again, I may just forgo the public school route completely.


Private placement to a public school while on an E2 may or may not require new copies of your documents.

Going through EPIK will require a new set (certified copy of your degree with an apostille and a new CBC with apostille). In the past they, an an employer, have refused to budge on this issue. It is their requirement and you either meet it or look elsewhere.

If you have your parchment (why wouldn't you) then just get a certified true copy made at a notary and get an apostille on it. There is nothing you need to go back to your uni for.

Depending on where you are from the CBC may be a bit of either a time consuming process or an expensive one.

.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International