Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another E1 question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Another E1 question Reply with quote

Someone mentioned to me that E-1 qualifications have changed recently. Can someone tell me if an M.A. in English Literature still qualifies for an E-1 visa?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Another E1 question Reply with quote

Trevor wrote:
Someone mentioned to me that E-1 qualifications have changed recently. Can someone tell me if an M.A. in English Literature still qualifies for an E-1 visa?

It does if you are contracted to teach English Lit.

If you are contracted to teach EFL then you get an E2 (teacher of foreign languages).

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: Another E1 question Reply with quote

Hmm...my last uni needed E-1's for some financial reason. I beleive it had something to do with their pension plan. I taught EFL but also taught Literature as an elective. The electives, however, were coded on their transcripts as advanced EFL, I believe, since they were offered through the foreign language program. (Otherwise, I would have to have been hired to teach in the literature department).

Can you tell me how this new rule has been playing out in Peoria? Also, is there any sort of qualification I can get or any other loophole I can take advantage of in order to qualify?

Much appreciated.

ttompatz wrote:
Trevor wrote:

It does if you are contracted to teach English Lit.

If you are contracted to teach EFL then you get an E2 (teacher of foreign languages).

globusmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't want to dispute with Ttompatz, since I have gotten a lot of great information from reading his posts, but I have recently gotten an E1 visa as a member of my university's English Language department (with a Master's in Teaching). I think that gaining the E1 depends on how your university chooses to sponsor you. I would suggest checking with your department or directly with immigration to see what they say.
Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that an education degree is eligible for E-1 for EFL.

globusmonkey wrote:
I don't want to dispute with Ttompatz, since I have gotten a lot of great information from reading his posts, but I have recently gotten an E1 visa as a member of my university's English Language department (with a Master's in Teaching). I think that gaining the E1 depends on how your university chooses to sponsor you. I would suggest checking with your department or directly with immigration to see what they say.
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have all the details on my colleagues' educational backgrounds, but I'm pretty sure that those without F series visas were all processed as E1. I know that several do not have education or master's-level degrees. What is your specific situation? Are you prospecting, or have you started work and are applying for the visa? It sounds like you were E1 previously - did you switch jobs/leave the country?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The visa class is about the formal job description and NOT so much about the qualification (other than actually needing qualifications to perform the job).

E1 = visiting Professor (교수) (a qualified academic rank that usually requires graduate or post graduate level studies and/or significant experience in the field so as to obtain that level of expertise).

E2 = Foreign language instructor (회화지도). Teach a foreign language. An undergraduate degree and "native speaker of that language" is the usual requirement for issuance of a visa.

It doesn't matter what you really do. It almost doesn't matter what your qualifications are. It matters what your formal job description (the one on file) at immigration and the MOE is.

Trevor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little confused. In 2008 I was hired to teach EFL, but my uni would only hire me if I had an M.A.. The reason I was given is that I needed the M.A. to be eligible for an e-1 visa, which was important to them for administrative reasons. I taught electives in other subjects but these were largely volunteer and did not effect my job description or how I was characterized with the relevant government agencies.

The reason I am asking is because, at that time (2008-2011), the univeristy considered it very important that I be eligible for an E-1, even though my primary duites were EFL. I am trying to figure out if this is going to be a new hurdle for my return and what I can do to counteract any loss of status (if any).

Globusmonkey: I left the country in early 2011 to get a Phd. I was E-1 at the time. I want to return, preferably taking up E-1 status again.
globusmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be up to the school that hires you to determine your status that will be submitted to immigration. E1 is becoming more prominent, from what I gather, due to pressure to up the quality of uni teachers and other bureaucratic concerns. With a PhD you should be fine, but it is something you can probably ask about in interviews if you are concerned. I know some schools do E2, some do E1 (or both), so you can check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: