Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good news: Ikea coming
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairyairy

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first store will be open in a few months.The building will be the size of a large Costco and it will be across the street from the Gwangmyeong Costco outside exit 1 of the subway and KTX station.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0nwn7nfcc

Facebook page with a pic of construction site
https://www.facebook.com/koreaikea
atwood

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I can almost smell the swedish meatballs cooking.
radcon

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
Thanks for the info!

Mmmm horse meat.
atwood

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
atwood wrote:
Thanks for the info!

Mmmm horse meat.

If it's good enough for the French, it's good enough for me. Smile
radcon

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
radcon wrote:
atwood wrote:
Thanks for the info!

Mmmm horse meat.

The burning question is: will these meatballs be accompanied by complementary chopped onions, ketchup, and mustard?
atwood

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

radcon wrote:
atwood wrote:
radcon wrote:
atwood wrote:
Thanks for the info!

Mmmm horse meat.

The burning question is: will these meatballs be accompanied by complementary chopped onions, ketchup, and mustard?

I can't see them selling many meatballs without them, can you? Costco has set the bar high.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other large stores are going to be built in that same area with Ikea and Costco. They must be hoping for "spillover" crowds.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2988772&cloc=joongangdaily|home|newslist2

Quote:
Local department stores are expected to engage in fierce competition as they open outlets in an up-and-coming commercial area in southwestern Seoul.

Hyundai Department Store last week opened an outlet in Gasan-dong in southwestern Seoul near the edge of Gyeonggi, and Lotte Department Store plans to open an outlet eight kilometers (five miles) from the Hyundai store later this year. The Lotte Outlet will be located near the Gwangmyeong KTX Station, where Ikea’s first branch is also scheduled to open in December.

Adding to the list of retailers, Shinsegae Simon, a joint venture by Shinsegae Group and Simon Property Group, said last month it will open a premium outlet in nearby Siheung, Gyeonggi. Shinsegae Group operates Shinsegae Department Store.

Hyundai’s new outlet occupies a 39,000-square-meter (9.6-acre) area and has nine floors selling 230 brands. In an effort to differentiate itself from its competition, Hyundai said its strategy is to provide customers with a shopping environment that is similar to a department store. The building has an underground parking area for about 1,000 cars and the store will allow customers to use Hyundai Department Store gift certificates.

dairyairy

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IKEA and Their Famous Meatballs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Wmy0hgolM
tob55

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, we have been buying IKEA products here in Korea for the past 7+ years. There are some websites that deal in IKEA. Not a store, but it has been available all along.
dairyairy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even in Miami a new Ikea is a big deal. Wait until it happens in Korea.
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Line-Forms-Outside-Miami-IKEA-Ahead-of-Grand-Opening-272688711.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_MIBrand
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dairyairy wrote:
Even in Miami a new Ikea is a big deal. Wait until it happens in Korea.
http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Line-Forms-Outside-Miami-IKEA-Ahead-of-Grand-Opening-272688711.html?_osource=SocialFlowFB_MIBrand

"more than a dozen people"--sounds more like a slow news day than a "big deal." Plus, the first 39 people would get a free sofa, which is a nice incentive to get in line early.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ikea is turning into the Taco Bell of furniture. Everyone moans about how much they miss it, is anticipating it, raves about how good it is, but really it's just mediocre processed stuff.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Ikea is turning into the Taco Bell of furniture. Everyone moans about how much they miss it, is anticipating it, raves about how good it is, but really it's just mediocre processed stuff.

Now you're an interior decorator. I think you've found your niche.
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY is great Reply with quote

baedaebok wrote:
But IKEA will have DIY. I've been bringing in unassembled Ikea furniture for years from overseas in my checked baggage into Korea.

Now I can buy the stuff in Korea. No more dealing with those overpriced mom & pop "interior" shops.
BDB

You sir remind me of the excitement many Canadians had when Target moved to Canada. So many Canadians got burned when they were hoping for US quality, inventory, and pricing. Ha ha ha ha. What they got was Canadian shipping costs, taxes, regulations piled on to make them pay the same price as other expensive stores in Canada. Oh Burn!!

You'll be sorely disappointed if you think Ikea here will be cheap or even have the same amount of variety as back home. It may be better than nothing, but disappointment will be disappointment. Mwa ha ha ha.
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY is great Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
baedaebok wrote:
But IKEA will have DIY. I've been bringing in unassembled Ikea furniture for years from overseas in my checked baggage into Korea.

Now I can buy the stuff in Korea. No more dealing with those overpriced mom & pop "interior" shops.
BDB

You sir remind me of the excitement many Canadians had when Target moved to Canada. So many Canadians got burned when they were hoping for US quality, inventory, and pricing. Ha ha ha ha. What they got was Canadian shipping costs, taxes, regulations piled on to make them pay the same price as other expensive stores in Canada. Oh Burn!!

You'll be sorely disappointed if you think Ikea here will be cheap or even have the same amount of variety as back home. It may be better than nothing, but disappointment will be disappointment. Mwa ha ha ha.

Well said.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: