Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vacations As An English Teacher In Korea - What To Expect?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NinjaTeacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Vacations As An English Teacher In Korea - What To Expect? Reply with quote

This is a post for all those interested in what vacations as an English teacher in Korea are like and what you can expect from public schools and private academies.

I filmed this video while in the Philippines and talk about the topic, as well as throw in some cool scenes I filmed with my GoPro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xROrnvGUzA0

Leave a comment if you want to ask any questions Smile

Last edited by NinjaTeacher on Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:26 pm; edited 3 times in total
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You made a film about vacations in Korea while you were in the Philippines. That should be truly enlightening.
NinjaTeacher

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
You made a film about vacations in Korea while you were in the Philippines. That should be truly enlightening.

A video about the kind of vacations you get as an English teacher in Korea Smile

Edited title to make that more clear.
SteveSteve

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you have a pretty cool website, Ninja Teacher. Keep it up!
northway

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NinjaTeacher wrote:
atwood wrote:

A video about the kind of vacations you get as an English teacher in Korea Smile

What bothers me about this is that it kind of buys into the view that this is some kind of paid study abroad. You know what kind of vacations you get as an English teacher in Korea? Whichever kind you like during your time off, however much time that is and whenever it might be. Boracay? Make sure you check out Bali and Koh Phan Ngan too. With prices being what they are, maybe you can purchase some imagination during your travels.
atwood

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
NinjaTeacher wrote:
atwood wrote:

What bothers me about this is that it kind of buys into the view that this is some kind of paid study abroad. You know what kind of vacations you get as an English teacher in Korea? Whichever kind you like during your time off, however much time that is and whenever it might be. Boracay? Make sure you check out Bali and Koh Phan Ngan too. With prices being what they are, maybe you can purchase some imagination during your travels.

I think I saw some on sale for half-price at my local Wal-Mart. Aisle 15 IIRC.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do not get to take vacations whenever you want in a hagwon. They have set times in the summer and winter, and will often try to not give you all of your vacation time. Also, it is very common for hagwons to not take Aug. 15 off because of already having summer vacation.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicwr2002 wrote:
You do not get to take vacations whenever you want in a hagwon. They have set times in the summer and winter, and will often try to not give you all of your vacation time. Also, it is very common for hagwons to not take Aug. 15 off because of already having summer vacation.

I get to take vacation whenever I want at my hagwon. No set times.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Vacations As An English Teacher In Korea - What To Expec Reply with quote

NinjaTeacher wrote:
This is a post for all those interested in what vacations as an English teacher in Korea are like and what you can expect from public schools and private academies.

I filmed this video while in the Philippines and talk about the topic, as well as throw in some cool scenes I filmed with my GoPro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xROrnvGUzA0

Leave a comment if you want to ask any questions Smile

Nice enough vid. Thx! For those who are groaning about this and that, you should commend the guy for trying to find the diamonds in the rough. We all know that most of the public primary and secondary budgets have been slashed to h3ll, except for maybe after-school programs. You see ME complaining?!? I got three months less three days for vacation this semester, and, no, I've never been to Boracay, but I WOULD like to go. Even hagwon teachers can make a pretty good vacation out of 4-5 days per six months if they play their cards right. A lot better than most, just out of college grads back home, can say.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hokie21 wrote:
nicwr2002 wrote:

I get to take vacation whenever I want at my hagwon. No set times.

^^
Me, too. I just took three weeks off. Going to take 7 days in December.
I'm the only foreigner at my school, too. Plus, we're all getting two extra days in September besides the RED days. My boss is pretty cool, I guess.
No complaints here.
allovertheplace

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the worst things about teaching in Korea were the vacation days. The vacations themselves were great but getting 10 days off per year and 3 sicks days was one of the single worst things.

Boracay was great 8 years ago - looks pretty iffy now.
northway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allovertheplace wrote:
Boracay was great 8 years ago - looks pretty iffy now.

I was there in New Year's of '09 and it still had some island vibe to it, but judging by that video it's just straight up Disneyland at this point. What's with the gondola?
atwood

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't it about time for some university instructor to post a boast about how much vacation time he/she gets?
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:

Pretty much this. I've watched a few of the videos hes posted here and they strike me in the same way. Not to mention the vast majority of NETs in their first year/two are here for one reason: sending money back to their homes to pay for uni loans.
schwa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its evident & frustrating to most Korean PS teachers (& yes, I know a lot of them) that the majority of epik teachers arent here primarily to teach.

Its about:
1) money
2) travel
3) partying
4) a few other things
5) & somewhere down the list, teaching

Some blame goes to the hiring practices of epik (green is good!) & some goes to recruiters (have an adventure & get paid!).

Some native speaker teachers are great, but others show up to work every monday worn out, download a generic lesson from waygook, go through the motions, & spend their desk time facebooking next weekend's social plans.

I'm not accusing the OP of this, but I've seen it many times & it saddens me. The kids deserve better.

On topic: I really enjoyed Boracay several years ago, it was a nice getaway. Teachers need occasional getaways. But as others suggested, there are many other more compelling & less trodden destinations equally accessible from the airport.

Last edited by schwa on Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: