Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recommended Central America itinerary

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Recommended Central America itinerary Reply with quote

Considering heading there for about 5 week this summer and was hoping to pick the brains of people who have traveled the area before.

I'm basically looking for recommended routes, countries I should definitely hit or definitely avoid, how much I should expect to spend for accommodation per night, etc.

Cheers!
rollo

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mexico!! It would take years to see everything, but it is an amazing country. Check out the pyramids and the Mayan ruins. the Anthropology museumin Mexico city is amazing. Great beaches, great food. Be careful going into rural taverns. I enjoyed the West coast north of Acapuldo the most. the smaller beach towns.
Guatemala, the mountains and volcanoes are terrific. it can be dangerous.
Always try to dress like a local. No name brand clothing no expensive watch. Cheap shoes, cheap tee shirt, beware hustlers who try to sell you drugs, they often work for the police. Use common sense. Always be polite. never flash money, learn some Spanish. Enjoy. My experience people who get into trouble often looked for it in some way. Behaving boorishly flashing money, or ignoring the obvious, like it is not good to be the only non local in a tavern after ten oclock and everyone is totally wasted.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure you meant to post this in the travel forum.

Anyway, I've only been to Mexico and Guatemala. Spent 3 weeks traveling through Chiapas and Guatemala a few years ago, was great. Tikal is pretty amazing, and Semuc Champey is beautiful. Antigua is pretty touristy, but nice. Climbing a volcano is also a must.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: