Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for buying a (small) tv

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shostahoosier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Advice for buying a (small) tv Reply with quote

I want to buy a tv for my apartment but I have 2 issues:
1. I live in a very small one-room so space is a premium.
2. I probably won't be in Korea for more than a year, so I don't want to buy something nice that I will have to dump later.

What recommendations would you make for getting a tv?

I have cable. Should I just get a monitor?

Could I find something used and cheap at Yongsan? I hate going there because I always feel like I got screwed no matter how well I do.

It should probably be a flats teen since my apartment is beyond small.
oppa637

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a small 17" i think that I'm not using. It's a lcd tv if I recall. I've only turned it on about 3 times.
aaromero

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a nice LG IPS TV/Monitor in the Seonin plaza for 240, I think it's a 21 inch monitor or whatever the centimeter equivalent is.

If you go on Sunday there's an ajeossi in the alley right in front of seonin by the food and dvd stalls that will sell you a TV.

Since Sunday is the slow day you can haggle and they'll cut you a deal.

From what I understand a TV/Monitor is around 240 and a regular TV will be around 200, good luck!
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got an older 20" Joyontech monitor/TV that we are probably going to sell. We were pondering it, as we are moving and won't have room for it in our new home. We use it in the kitchen. The television channels are not HD, but does at least 720p if you use the DVI, composite, or VGA inputs. No HDMI, but at this size, that's a non-issue.

It's got good enough speakers in it, which is a problem with smaller Monitor/TV's. Also has a remote.

I'd sell it for 90,000.

Model JT-J201TDE

Looks like this:

http://gompada.co.kr/?document_srl=941&mid=su33
shostahoosier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible to use a monitor as a tv?
denverdeath

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shostahoosier wrote:
Is it possible to use a monitor as a tv?

yes as long as it has a tv in/antenna on it.

here's a 15.6"...not much in the box, cable-wise, so check what u need.

http://prod.danawa.com/info/?pcode=1356488&cate1=860&cate2=13735&cate3=14883&cate4=14886&keyword=%B8%F0%B4%CF%C5%CD%20hdtv%2017

here are a bunch more 17" and other sizes...b careful of how old some of them r though.

http://search.danawa.com/dsearch.php?query=tv%B8%F0%B4%CF%C5%CD+17%C7%FC&tab=main&post_category_list=&x=0&y=0
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very much.

As someone who actually does this, let me make a few suggestions:

TV Monitors that are also computer monitors generally do just one thing well -- but not both. This has improved with the advent of HDTV's, but only with HDTV signals. These monitors usually do very well when inputting a signal over inputs that is at 720p or higher. If you're someone who likes to watch a lot of TV, one of these may not be the best choice for you. If you like to watch stuff you've downloaded off of the net, DVD's, or files you play, then no issues.

These combo monitors often have VERY small/poor speakers in them. That is something you really need to think about. You can add external computer speakers, but that's not comfortable/convenient to use, for some. You may not like listening to a tiny speaker all day. I sure don't.
Lazio

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swampfox10mm wrote:
TV Monitors that are also computer monitors generally do just one thing well -- but not both. If you're someone who likes to watch a lot of TV, one of these may not be the best choice for you. If you like to watch stuff you've downloaded off of the net, DVD's, or files you play, then no issues.

I really don't understand your point here.
All flat screen TVs – be it 32” or 60” are technically monitors too hence the load of different inputs on their back. So you are saying that you can’t enjoy watching TV on those???

Smaller sized ones are no different as long as they have a cable input they are perfectly fine to use both as a TV and a monitor, just like their bigger brothers.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, Lazio. They are different.
furtakk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't want to get cable, just get a monitor. I have a nice 21' HD HP monitor that was only about 200k (floor model).

If you want to get cable, you can use it as a TV assuming you get an HD receiver. As long as the HD box has an HDMI output AND separate audio output, you'll be fine. You'll have to get separate speakers, but that is still probably cheaper than buying a HDTV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: