Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL partner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
j.w

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: ESL partner Reply with quote

Anyone know anything about this recruiting company? Good/bad?

www.eslpartner.com
mike in brasil

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like its either a joke or run by Koreans. (or both?) its filled with spelling errors...

like any fly by night recruiter, caveat emptor.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: ESL partner Reply with quote

j.w wrote:
Anyone know anything about this recruiting company? Good/bad?

www.eslpartner.com

They are good.
They are the best.
They are bad.
They are the worst.

The good one is the one who gets you a "DECENT" job.

They are all good and they are all bad. They all have some proponents and they all have some complaints.

Search yourself and you have access to perhaps 20-50 potential employers who may be able to actually READ your resume and perhaps can get you through the visa confirmation process (not always easy for 1st time applicants).

Use 20 recruiters and that number jumps up into the many hundreds or potentially over 1000 jobs, even if the employer himself doesn't speak English (lots of hagwan jobs, MOST private placement PS jobs and virtually ALL private K-12 jobs fall into this category).

The problem lies in the fact that most people do NOT understand the role of the recruiter.

They are an introduction to a potential employer that you yourself would not otherwise be able to find. Then, if they are any good at their job, they guide you through the placement and assist with the paperwork necessary to get you as far as the employer.

They are NOT your friend.
They do NOT work for you (they are paid for and work for the employer).

They are like a used car salesman.
You walk onto their car-lot (website), peruse the cars (available jobs), if you see one you like you inquire about it.

After you listen to the sales pitch you let YOUR mechanic have a look at it (due diligence checking out the school).

If it is all good then you make the offer (accept the contract) and complete the sale (begin the paperwork for your visa application).

A good salesman will ensure that the paperwork is in order to make the sale and allow you to register the car. (A good recruiter will make sure your paperwork is in order and help get you through the paperwork to get your visa.)

I have no problem with using a recruiter or telling anyone else to use one (or more the case, many). They are your best option for fining the BEST fit when it comes to a job in Korea (or most of Asia for that matter).

For someone who is abroad, no connections and no ability to communicate in Korean then recruiters are a necessary evil.

That doesn't mean it is a crap shoot.

ALL recruiters are good. All recruiters are bad.
BUT they are a bridge to a job that you would not otherwise find.

The trick is in understanding what they are and what they do.

ttompatz wrote:

Really, when it comes to a recruiter, who cares where they are from or where they are based?

A recruiter is nothing more than an introduction to an employer.

Unless you have an extensive network of friends and/or colleagues in your target country OR can read/write and speak the local language and can apply directly they are a necessary evil.

REPEAT: A recruiter is nothing more than an introduction to an employer.

Hello Mr. English speaker this is Mr Hakwon owner.
Mr. hakwon owner, this is Mr. English speaker.
Mr. English speaker, here is the contract. Please read and sign.
School, here is the signed contract. Pay me.
Good bye.

-You are not paying them anything (or you shouldn't be).
-THEY DO NOT WORK FOR YOU! - They work for the school.
-They owe you nothing once you get here.
-They are not your friend.
-They are not your baby sitter.
-They cannot help you if things go to *beep* after you get here.

Beyond that it is YOUR responsibility to check the school out.

Do NOT trust ANY recruiter. They are like used car salesmen. They will lie and sell their soul to get the signature on the contract.

Do your own DUE DILLIGENCE in regards to the school or get burned.

Use the recruiters for what they are. Use more than one and keep going until you get what you want. There is no rush and there is certainly no shortage of jobs.

When it comes to the school - again - repeat - Do your own DUE DILLIGENCE.

1st - READ the contract over very carefully. If that doesn't scare you away then...

The best you can do is minimize the risk by talking to MORE THAN ONE of the foreign staff and ask POINTED AND SPECIFIC QUESTIONS (*when the boss is NOT listening over their shoulder). Don't accept non-specific answers and broad generalizations.

No foreign staff references to talk (directly and via e-mail) to = walk away now.

Accept NO EXCUSES for any reason.

ONE CAVEAT: if it is a public school there may not be a Native English Speaker to talk to but there is a chain of command OUTSIDE THE SCHOOL (your POE liaison) if you have problems and they are more strict in following the terms of the contract.

j.w

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Smile

I have come across that post before. After being in contact with some of the more popular recruiters, who seem to have written me off probably because I don't have the North American accent or much experience, I have decided to give some of the less well know recruiters a shot.

The only problem is I can't find any feedback relating to ESL partner at all, usually there are atleast some bad reviews.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

j.w wrote:
Thanks Smile

I have come across that post before. After being in contact with some of the more popular recruiters, who seem to have written me off probably because I don't have the North American accent or much experience, I have decided to give some of the less well know recruiters a shot.

The only problem is I can't find any feedback relating to ESL partner at all, usually there are atleast some bad reviews.

It is NOT about the recruiter. It is about using as many of them as you need to find a decent job. It is YOUR responsibility to check out the job. The recruiter is just the introduction to the job.

If you are having difficulty getting responses; do you have all your documentation in hand and ready to go? Have you attached (low resolution) scans of your documents to your resume?

Summer vacation starts in about 3 weeks and school will resume at the end of August.

JustinC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post, ttompatz, the OP should definitely be finding out about the school and not wasting their time querying the recruiter. I think your post should be a sticky as this is where a lot of noobs fall down.
IamCourtney

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that ESL Partner is a legit company. I worked with Yune, and she was amazing from start to finish. I really like my school, and love my location. This is just an FYI for anyone who was thinking about using this recruiter.
Norwich29

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IamCourtney wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but I just wanted to say that ESL Partner is a legit company. I worked with Yune, and she was amazing from start to finish. I really like my school, and love my location. This is just an FYI for anyone who was thinking about using this recruiter.

Can I just ask which school you are teaching at?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: