Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eating too much ramen makes you stupid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Eating too much ramen makes you stupid Reply with quote

Georgi Readman, 18, of the Isle of Wight, U.K., refuses to eat fruit and vegetables and exists solely on packaged noodle soup, a snack that often contains high amounts of fat, saturated fat, and sodium. One package typically boasts 400 calories and 20 grams of fat.

Readman, who is 5'3'' and 98 pounds, told the Daily News that she became hooked on the noodles when she was five-years-old and her mother still buys her packages by the dozens. She estimates eating 30 miles of noodles per year and the thought of eating anything else makes her sick.

�I hate the texture of fruit and vegetables," she said. �I can�t go to my friends' for dinner or go out for meals because I don�t want them to see me freak out if the side salad touches the stuff I eat. Mum goes to the supermarket and brings back as many packets as she can afford. I always fancy noodles and could easily eat two packets at once. I�ve even eaten them dry and uncooked before!�

. . .

Readman could not be reached for comment but according to her doctors, she is malnourished and has the health of an 80 year old.

"That sounds like an accurate assessment," says Lisa Kaufman, a pediatrician at Village Pediatrics who has not treated Readman. "A diet of instant noodles has likely wreaked incredible amounts of havoc on her organs. The body�especially one that's still developing�needs protein, minerals, and nutrients to grow; that's just basic common sense. Without it, this girl has probably suffered stunted growth and IQ, osteoporosis, heart and kidney damage, and high blood pressure. Her lifespan has likely been shortened as well."

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/teen-s-strange-ramen-addiction--165713286.html
Dodge7

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

her mom is to blame for keep buying the ramon noodles for her. She is hastening her bad health and eventual death, I'm sure. That stuff cannot be eaten every day without repercussion.
A spineless mother who cannot tell her child, "NO!" This is the worst kind of parent.
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just as a side note for anyone reading this...

it takes your sense of taste/smell time to adapt to new flavours and smells.

when babies begin changing thier diets, you can usually observe that they despise vegetables because they are quite alien to other food tastes and much stronger.
the baby will therefore reject the food.
the only way a parent can ensure the child eats the food in the future, is by persevering until the child accepts the food as part of its palette/diet.
(i cant remember off the the top of my head but i think a human has to eat something between 8/12 times to get used to it) If the parent gives in, when the child is in developmental stages, the child will never accept this food and also learn the behaviour of not trying.
This even applies as adults. You have to persevere with a food to get used to it.
try it. get a food you dont like and eat it everyday for 2 weeks.

the parent of this child could at anytime have changed the childs diet. they probably just enjoyed telling other parents how special their child is? its beyond me, its tantamount to child abuse anyway.
KimchiNinja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Eating too much ramen makes you stupid Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Georgi Readman, 18, of the Isle of Wight, U.K., refuses to eat fruit and vegetables and exists solely on packaged noodle soup, a snack that often contains high amounts of fat, saturated fat, and sodium. One package typically boasts 400 calories and 20 grams of fat.

Q: why do these articles always try to make things sound unhealthy because of fat and salt?

The problem is living off refined GRAINS; which results in stunted growth, low IQ, blood sugar problems, diabetes, heart attack, cancer, etc. See USA.

So yes deadly, but not because of fat or salt, because of the f'in noodles dammit.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm stupid.
MarkArtz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha this is hilarious, I've stopped eating ramen and yet to buy more cup a noodle box. I do however use spaghetti or linguini noodles to make homemade ramen that ends up being chow mein or a thick broth. Sometimes I go shrimp or chicken.

Funny, there is a correlation between high test scores and eating habits. I conducted this test for a small project while in college.
drcrazy

Location: Pusan. Yes, that's right. Pusan NOT Busan. I ain't never been to no place called Busan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

잇잉 넛스 윌 매크 유 넛스!!!!! 아이 럽 넛스!!!!!!! Very Happy [/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: