Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

zombie apocalypse
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: zombie apocalypse Reply with quote

just watching 'the walking dead'. i cant belive how stupid these people are (and before anyone comments, this could really happen).

If that was me, for a start off, id carry a set of samurai swords and dress like a power ranger in full, leather biker kit.
second, id have a great big hummer, welded shut with a gun turret on the top.

Just wondering what you would do differently if zombies had taken over the world?
Zackback

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sit down and try to negotiate with them.
Before doing so convince other non-zombie people that the zombies are simply misunderstood and should be shown kindness and in doing so they will stop their unkind behavior against us.
Show up at the negotiating table completely naked so this way the zombies can see that we are unarmed and truly committed to peace. We can begin to tell them when they are charging towards us that we are willing to share this world with them in peace and unity. I would stress to those with me that the zombies may not listen at first but when they are within about a meter or two and if the are still stampeding full throttle right at us don't be afraid or prejudge their motives. They are just so happy about what we previously said they simply want to hug and kiss us.
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youve been watching too many movies.
that would never work...
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stock up on spam, honey, and hole up near a water source. Oh, and of course I'd have loads of guns, swords, and hammers, as well as a cyanide pill.
aq8knyus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Korea the population density would make survival unlikely, ditto for the UK.

Plus I dont even know anyone with a gun, I wouldn't want to take on the zombie hordes with a cricket bat and kitchen knives.
Canucksaram

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Rabbit grenades. Reply with quote

Welding together a supercar is a nice idea, but you'd have to have the know-how to do it.

I'm more disappointed by simpler issues like why they don't use long range melee weapons, such as spears or a trident or just a common pitch fork

I would also like to see them get to a huge hardware store or a Wal-Mart and turn it into a fortress. Even heading to now disused car dealerships to find vans and SUVs than can be fortified would be somewhat simple to do. They could even try to track down an RV dealership or a Greyhound bus stop and convert some buses into fortified mobile homes.

They should also source some rabbits to keep as meat grenades for distraction. Rabbits breed quickly and you could carry a clutch of them while exploring or traveling in new territory. A bunch of walkers come by and you drop a rabbit or two (break one of the legs first) to distract them while you run away.
madoka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: zombie apocalypse Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
just watching 'the walking dead'. i cant belive how stupid these people are (and before anyone comments, this could really happen).

In their defense, the survivors on the Walking Dead often have to deal with stealthy zombie ninjas who can instantly teleport all around you at the worst possible times.
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha, i love the rabbit idea. coupled with some kind of rocket launcher...?

i used this as a quiz for my kids like the nasa survival test. instead of matches/oxygen and all that, i gave them categories and they had to choose from lists what they would choose as primary/secondary weapons, hold up, who they would take on a mart run etc.
They loved it.
im not sure theyd be on my list of companions though, as they seemed a bit obsessed with flame throwers for my liking...

another thing i dont understand about the zombie apocalypse, is why arent they doing hand to hand and fitness/stamina training everyday? id be running 50 laps every morning in case i needed to run away in an emergency and chopping up watermelons with my samurai sword until i was a fist of the north star!
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a flame thrower/incendiary or some kind of acid weapon by the best as they require minimal accuracy and have maximum effectiveness in terms of organic tissue damage to unarmored targets? You don't even have to hit the head. Hit the legs and they lose significant mobility.

The only reason people use guns is for their ability to penetrate armor. Zombies are unarmored and depending on the school of Zombie, not the fleetest of foot.

Some kind of corrosive chemical moat or bomb?

Zombie apocalypse is just dim because it seems pretty obvious that brains would find a way.

Something that triggers rapid breakdown of calcium or induces dehydration would also work. Something that breaks down lipids.

They may be zombies, but they're still made out of organic matter. Chemistry wins.
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Wouldn't a flame thrower/incendiary or some kind of acid weapon by the best as they require minimal accuracy and have maximum effectiveness in terms of organic tissue damage to unarmored targets? You don't even have to hit the head. Hit the legs and they lose significant mobility.

The only reason people use guns is for their ability to penetrate armor. Zombies are unarmored and depending on the school of Zombie, not the fleetest of foot.

Some kind of corrosive chemical moat or bomb?

Zombie apocalypse is just dim because it seems pretty obvious that brains would find a way.

Something that triggers rapid breakdown of calcium or induces dehydration would also work. Something that breaks down lipids.

They may be zombies, but they're still made out of organic matter. Chemistry wins.

sounds good in theory but in reality, zombies arent killed the same way humans are. In reality, a human body would need a form of energy to power/sustain it (in the form of calories). As weve seen on tv/movies, zombies dont need that, so a breakdown of lipids would have no effect on the organs/muscle.
The flame thrower, im a fan but youve got the problem of manoeuvrability and the possibility that youll turn the zombie into a walking furnace.
i think they would work better on vampires?
madoka

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
Wouldn't a flame thrower/incendiary or some kind of acid weapon by the best as they require minimal accuracy and have maximum effectiveness in terms of organic tissue damage to unarmored targets?

No this is a violation of well-known zombie rules. According to zombie expert Max Brooks in his book Zombie Survival Guide, zombies are insensitive to pain or fear and will continue on like walking torches setting everything else around you on fire.

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/7/7/9/97779.jpg?v=1

Then there's the more practical problems with the tremendous weight (almost 70 pounds), limited range (almost 70 feet), and extremely rapid fuel consumption (about 5-7 seconds of total burn time).
Canucksaram

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Fire on zombies. Reply with quote

Fire damage should definitely incapacitate zombies and you should be safe from them if you have space to retreat into. The fire would burn away their tendons and ligaments, or at the very least cause them to contract and/or shrink, resulting in reduced movement speed and/or capacity.

Incapacitate the walkers or distract them, then flee.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

madoka wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
Wouldn't a flame thrower/incendiary or some kind of acid weapon by the best as they require minimal accuracy and have maximum effectiveness in terms of organic tissue damage to unarmored targets?

No this is a violation of well-known zombie rules. According to zombie expert Max Brooks in his book Zombie Survival Guide, zombies are insensitive to pain or fear and will continue on like walking torches setting everything else around you on fire.

http://i.crackedcdn.com/phpimages/article/7/7/9/97779.jpg?v=1

Then there's the more practical problems with the tremendous weight (almost 70 pounds), limited range (almost 70 feet), and extremely rapid fuel consumption (about 5-7 seconds of total burn time).

That's what I'm counting on. It's not fire's "fear and pain" I'm counting on. It's its effects on organic tissue. Dehydration + fire/corrosion (acid) will lead to zombie death. Again, target the calcium and the soft tissue. Or the water. Without the water they are a few pounds of chemicals.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to worry about zombies if you have puff the magic dragon on your side.

(Edited for crackhead below me with the vivid imagination)

Spooky (also nicknamed "Puff, the Magic Dragon") was the first in a series of gunships developed by the United States Air Force during the Vietnam War.

7.62mm General Electric miniguns fire through two rear window openings and the side cargo door, all on the left (pilot's) side of the aircraft.

Coverage given by a Spooky was over an elliptical area approximately 52 yd (47.5 m) in diameter, placing a round every 2.4 yd (2.2 m) during a 3-second burst. The aircraft also carried flares, which it could drop to illuminate the battleground.

Last edited by Died By Bear on Mon Apr 22, 2013 6:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do you mean if youre a heroine adidct?

wtf are you rattling on about now? seriously, how have you avoided being sectioned?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: