Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boston Bombing Suspects at MIT. Firefight. Identified
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another link all about the "home grown" thing...

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50145190n

It's in the title, even.

"Boston Bombing Subjects May Not Be Home-Grown"
Leslie Cheswyck

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Seems like he has a bit more of a will to live than his brother, considering he ran him over when escaping.

...and the Dzhokhar got away.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Home-grown" or transplanted doesn't make that much difference (from an historical perspective) in a country that's been comprised of immigrants since its earliest beginnings. I don't think that deporting all Muslim-Americans/banning all Muslim immigrants is consistent with American ideals - but we may be headed in that political direction (unless true interfaith/multicultural understanding somehow prevails).
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WTF is wrong with people? From what I read on the NYT, the younger one seemed pretty normal. Well-educated, on the wrestling team in high school, and now a violent nut? What the hell happened?

I don't get it. I have a hunch the 2nd guy will be killed and they won't really find anything beyond what they've found on FB and youtube to give us an idea why they did this heinous act.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are Chechens. One of them had a website that described his world view as Islam. They are the same suspects wanted by the FBI after they were seen in a video at the Boston Marathon.

There are many questions. If they carried the bombs to the site were they just couriers and part of a larger conspiracy or just loners. They have to catch the other one alive.
12ax7

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
WTF is wrong with people? From what I read on the NYT, the younger one seemed pretty normal. Well-educated, on the wrestling team in high school, and now a violent nut? What the hell happened?

I don't get it. I have a hunch the 2nd guy will be killed and they won't really find anything beyond what they've found on FB and youtube to give us an idea why they did this heinous act.

Maybe these kids became self-radicalized through the internet. Why? That's the million dollar question.

PS. Looks like Justin Trudeau might have been right.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:

I've known many normal bright young individuals that turned out to be absolute punks. The uncle doesn't like them, although I wonder how recently he formed his opinion of them? After or before the act, even assuming that they did it.
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 3rd one who may or may not be on a train that may be or may not be surrounded in/near Norwalk, Conn. Confused I'm frustrated as heck at these conflicting reports. There ought to be a law requiring reporters to include the time in every report they file. Grrr.

Quote:

I'm with you.

It's times like this that make me understand conspiracy theory nuts a little bit: the need for rationality is well-nigh overwhelming.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

I've known many normal bright young individuals that turned out to be absolute punks. The uncle doesn't like them, although I wonder how recently he formed his opinion of them? After or before the act, even assuming that they did it.

True, but how often is it two brothers? I think that's what makes this even more bizarre. If it was just one dude, I'd be like ok, just another nutball, similar to the CO shooter, the one who shot Giffords, etc. Or heck, even if it were two teenage friends like the Columbine pair I'd understand it a little more.

This is just new territory. Sad.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the suspects apparently was a student at UMass-Dartmouth
northway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
One of the suspects apparently was a student at UMass-Dartmouth

Good science school, typical for lower-middle income kids who do well in high school and want to progress onward towards masters, etc., in science/math/engineering fields.
Rteacher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting description of the Chechen mafia ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechen_mafia

It seems the neocons have always had a soft spot for Chechens...
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2004/sep/08/usa.russia
northway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been watching ABC all morning, as well as cruising pretty much every corner of the internet possible, and I'll be pretty shocked if these guys have much of a connection to any larger movement (though I'll be the first to admit that this is strictly speculative).
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
I've been watching ABC all morning, as well as cruising pretty much every corner of the internet possible, and I'll be pretty shocked if these guys have much of a connection to any larger movement (though I'll be the first to admit that this is strictly speculative).

Same here, although the way this story has been going, I also wouldn't be surprised if there is another twist.
northway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
northway wrote:

Same here, although the way this story has been going, I also wouldn't be surprised if there is another twist.

100% agreed. The scrambling to come up with some training camp story is kind of laughable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: