Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boston Bombing Suspects at MIT. Firefight. Identified
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
The Boston police were great. They risked heavy assault and firepower and captured one of their suspects alive.

And now you have all the friends and family describing the suspect as beng "a great guy", an "angel".

lol Isn't that always the case? Mass mudering terrorists had former lives as quiet, shy, nice decent upstanding members of the community.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

12ax7 wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Titus wrote:

Shutting down an entire city because of one potential suicide bomber is *literally* letting the terrorists win.

That's true. $333 million down the drain.

Who's to blame for that? The government or the terrorists? Would you have prefered the police did nothing?

Stop it.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Straight line from liberalist policy to this bombing:

http://www.vdare.com/posts/boston-marathon-suspects-could-have-been-deported-after-an-assault-conviction-except-no-one-ge

Shoulda been deported..but we can not have these poor crazy bastards being deported...how would we explain that at the dinner parties?
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
Titus wrote:

Shutting down an entire city because of one potential suicide bomber is *literally* letting the terrorists win.

The British would have said (no more) stiff upper lip. The Israeli's will send heaps on young men out with machine guns and profile like mad (like NYC!) while normal social and commercial life continues close to normal. Boston shuts everything down. The first colony, rolling over. I don't care what the cost is. It's all funny-money.

Boston!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2jAwiq6YsE
catman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Beck is giving the government until Monday to tell the truth or else!
northway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the peanut gallery arguing that they shouldn't have shut down the city: what should they have done?
stilicho25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exactly what they did do, form a cordon. They made an excellent assessment of how far he could have gone, and made a perimeter. Boston proper was removed from the action, and could have had some sort of necessary traffic.

Now for you... What are you going to do everytime nut jobs start making trouble? Seriously, judging solely by fatalities, Chicago should be on permanent lockdown...
northway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stilicho25 wrote:
exactly what they did do, form a cordon. They made an excellent assessment of how far he could have gone, and made a perimeter. Boston proper was removed from the action, and could have had some sort of necessary traffic.

Now for you... What are you going to do everytime nut jobs start making trouble? Seriously, judging solely by fatalities, Chicago should be on permanent lockdown...

The scope may have been a bit large, but I think people who are unfamiliar with Boston might be misconstruing this a bit. Boston proper is tiny; in any other major American city, Watertown would be part of Boston. The area that they shut down was actually relatively small, geographically. Having watched all this unfold, from what I can tell they did not know where his vehicle was until mid-morning, and as such had no idea where the guy was. There was no cordon when he first went missing, thus why they were floating his license plate number in Connecticut. You've got a guy on the loose who has bombs and (potentially) a will to die, isn't the smart thing to do to deny him soft targets, if in fact he's not in the area you think he is?

There's a reason we don't judge solely by fatalities.
Swampfox10mm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:
The homeowner who discovered the suspect's blood in his boat had just come out of the house following the cessation of the 'curfew.'

And here's the thing about that... they guy's house had been CLEARED! He came out because he had been told everything was clear in his area. So he notices the tarp has been cut, sees blood and a body rolled-up inside.

All of that manpower and work, and police MISSED the freaking boat in the driveway with blood on the flapping tarp that had been cut open!

Am amazed:

1. Nobody checked the boat.
2. Nobody in the media seems to be discussing this.

If that kid had not been injured, he would have had ample opportunity to get away and cause more death, due to this oversight.
stilicho25

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up near Chelmsford, my duty station was NAS south weymouth. I know the area fairly well. It's not like it is easy to get from one part of the city to another. Boston is a labyrinth.

I doubt that are they going to shut down cities like this in the future. One, I doubt it would work, and two the cost is so prohibitive that it would be suicidal politically.
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
Straight line from liberalist policy to this bombing:

http://www.vdare.com/posts/boston-marathon-suspects-could-have-been-deported-after-an-assault-conviction-except-no-one-ge

Shoulda been deported..but we can not have these poor crazy bastards being deported...how would we explain that at the dinner parties?

It was a domestic violence conviction.

Quote:
Tamerlan Tsarnaev, the 26-year-old killed in a wild shootout with police, was a legal U.S. resident who never the less could have been removed from the country after a 2009 domestic violence conviction, according to a Judicial Watch source.

Why should the police deport someone when the victim of the assault would not want him deported?
Kuros

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
For the peanut gallery arguing that they shouldn't have shut down the city: what should they have done?

The peanut gallery? It was a political decision. Totally fair game.

Right, so, Deval Patrick should not have shut down the city, and instead the police could have shut down localized areas. That way, people who work by the hour might not be short at the end of the month when it comes time to pay the rent.
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
12ax7 wrote:
Kuros wrote:
Titus wrote:

Who's to blame for that? The government or the terrorists? Would you have prefered the police did nothing?

Stop it.

Can't handle Socratic questioning? Please explain. After all, one would expect a teacher, of all people, to be able to handle this sort of questioning.

Last edited by 12ax7 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total
12ax7

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
Glenn Beck is giving the government until Monday to tell the truth or else!

Oh, right...The front man of companies that sell overpriced collectible gold coins to retirees.

A long time ago, when I was still a student, I answered a wanted ad for a telemarketing job. When I was told over the phone that it involved cold calling people and pushing collectible coins as a good investment to them, I told the employer that I had an ethical problem with doing that. When he asked why, I simply told him I didn't think it was a good investment. Instead of giving me figures to back up his pitch, he tried to insult me by saying I was just lazy and didn't want to work. I just hung up on him. But, I was right. You see, I'm a collector, and as such I am perfectly well aware that you're unlikely to get full retail value for whatever collectible you try to sell as an individual. Heck, more often than not you count yourself lucky if you get 50% of full retail. Sure, you may get off better with collectible gold coins, but it will still take you years to recover your investment since you're unlikely to ever get full retail value. On top of that, the value of the coins might suffer, delivering a blow to your investment, since-as we saw in recent weeks- the gold market can be very volatile.

http://www.motherjones.com/mojo/2012/02/glenn-beck-gold-compay-forced-refund-45-million-defrauded-customers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GvdUT_ciISU
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:

Why should the police deport someone when the victim of the assault would not want him deported?

Because it is rational to be concerned about the character of Chechen people given the recent history of terrorism and his conviction suggested a violent disposition.

12ax7 wrote:

Can't handle Socratic questioning? Please explain.

Socratic questioning = "who is to blame"?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: