Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CVS Pharmacy sued for racial slur
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madoka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: CVS Pharmacy sued for racial slur Reply with quote

Hyun Lee, a New Jersey woman of Korean descent, picked up her photos from a CVS in February when she noticed that her name on the receipt had been changed to "Ching Chong Lee," The Smoking Gun reported Thursday.

Feeling �shocked, stunned, mortified, humiliated, and severely distressed," Lee wrote a complaint to customer relations: �Do you think it�s funny? It�s very disturbing to me!!!!�

CVS responded in an email, writing that they were "very sorry" about Lee's experience. They pledged to "counsel and train" the store employee responsible.

Lee is now suing the company for $1 million in damages.

�He should have been terminated immediately,� Lee's attorney told ABCNews.com. �She never got an apology. She never got anything further after she complained.�

�It appears that the employee is still there. She will not return to that CVS until that employee is removed," her attorney added.

http://www.upi.com/blog/2013/04/18/CVS-racist-slur-Company-sued-for-writing-Ching-Chong-on-womans-receipt/8041366317364/#ixzz2Qt00wBhO

----------------------------------------------------

Coming soon: my $3 million lawsuit against Dave's for not banning posters who hurt my feelings.
Squire

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 million? I think somewhere between 50 and 100 British pounds would be fair.
Fox

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
1 million? I think somewhere between 50 and 100 British pounds would be fair.

Zero would be fair. Hurt feelings are worth zero.
Otherside

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOLz, does it cut both ways?

I had a friend whose name on his gas bill (which he received in the mail each month) was 와국인. While not a racist slur, it very possibly hurt his feelings, and perhaps he should sue the gas company for W1billion. Better yet, we can make this a class action suit against all the companies that have had employees show the slightest form of discrimination.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherside wrote:

I had a friend whose name on his gas bill (which he received in the mail each month) was 와국인. While not a racist slur, it very possibly hurt his feelings, and perhaps he should sue the gas company for W1billion. Better yet, we can make this a class action suit against all the companies that have had employees show the slightest form of discrimination.

I may be an apologist but I am a shameless collector first. Where can I sign up?
Squire

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherside wrote:

If he raised an issue about this do you think anybody involved in the case would even understand why someone might feel aggrieved by that? I don't think so somehow. I once looked up racism in my Korean dictionary just to see if there was even a concept for it in the Korean language- quite surprisingly there actually was.
joelove

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was 35 years old I lost quite a lot money, over a million won, in an envelope, in a PC room in Seoul. The money was in 100,000 notes. (do they still use those?) A worker found it and contacted the bank it was from, who then traced the numbers or something and contacted the employer who gave me the cash, who called me to tell me where it was; I hadn't realized I lost it, and I went back there. On the envelope they wrote in Korean, "man in 40s". I got all my money back luckily but my feelings were hurt! (not really...)
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was 100,000 won, then it was what Korean banks call checks and everyone else calls a money order.

About the CVS worker: He/She deserves to be fired. If the racist stunt wasn't enough, the simple fact that intentionally pissing off paying customers isn't good for business should do it. And the corporate statement that they have a zero tolerance policy about racism is proven false by the fact that they haven't canned the moron in question.
optik404

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every now and then these stories pop up. Waiters, starbucks, etc...

It just seems like the worker is trying to get fired. So might as well just let them go. I don't think it'll take long to fill a position at CVS.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty funny story though, especially after living in Korea and experiencing the other end eh? Pffft.
Kuros

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: CVS Pharmacy sued for racial slur Reply with quote

madoka wrote:

Coming soon: my $3 million lawsuit against Dave's for not banning posters who hurt my feelings.

That's because you're an idiot.

I want someone on this thread to give a compelling reason why this woman should not sue and claim $1 million.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck, I'm curious as to why it's such a good idea to keep an obvious detriment to the company in their employ.
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: CVS Pharmacy sued for racial slur Reply with quote

Kuros wrote:

I want someone on this thread to give a compelling reason why this woman should not sue and claim $1 million.

The reason is that, given she did not experience one million dollars (or even one penny) of actual damage, a (somehow) successful lawsuit would represent a wild miscarriage of justice, and a failed lawsuit would involve a pointless waste of state resources, which is also unjust. If no just outcome can result from a lawsuit, one ought not launch it. So she should not sue assuming that she is a decent human being with an interest in justice (as opposed to a hedonistic consumer who just wants a quick cash grab).

You cannot seriously be defending a pathetic kind of "lottery" wherein being being a consumer who ends up on the wrong side of trivial mockery results in a huge payout, so what's your angle here?
Fox

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:
Heck, I'm curious as to why it's such a good idea to keep an obvious detriment to the company in their employ.

God forbid a company show the slightest loyalty to their employees, eh?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I'm all for companies showing loyalty to their employees, provided their employees are not doing whatever they can to sabotage the business. How is that concept unclear to you?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: