Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Stupid English Teachers in South Korea"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DosEquisXX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This guy is trolling. These videos are too over-the-top for me to believe.

Due to how often the Korean media demonizes English teachers, we're easy targets for criticism and this guy jumped right on it.
hiamnotcool

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DosEquisXX wrote:
This guy is trolling. These videos are too over-the-top for me to believe.

Due to how often the Korean media demonizes English teachers, we're easy targets for criticism and this guy jumped right on it.

I would think he was trolling if not for his videos showing his actual students. He really is that stupid. I love the part where he says he is going from a "hic town" to a place where the students are "cream of the crop". His hypocrisy is so painfully obvious from watching his videos that it's hard to believe he's that unaware. You have to watch a few though and it becomes clear he is a narcissist to the point that he doesn't understand how pathetic he looks.

I think he just understands the game in Korea and he is shameless enough to exploit it. I've met a lot of people just like him in Korea. He's just backstabbing all the other ESL teachers to gain favor with his employer. They probably pump him for information on all the other foreigners every Monday morning (especially the WHITE people!). He will be tossed to the side when his time is over. When you are a foreigner in Korea AND an ESL teacher trying to get in with the anti-foreigner Korean crowd is about the worst decision you can make. It requires turning on the Koreans that are willing to help you and the other foreigners as well, at the end of the day they will be the only ones to step up and help you when the problems start.

I would say he probably made this video to up his views and get people talking about him though. More of a publicity stunt than trolling.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's not trolling, he's just a koreaboo. There's a significant minority out there that are like this. They are almost all koreaboos into kdramas and kpop. They attract a lot of Asian-American and other minorities. They are much more social media active, very brand-conscious, young, attract homosexual/"fashionable" people, hang out a lot at coffee shops or clubs, but not as into bars unless they're all about flirtinis and the like, less likely to pay attention to politics and current events, their tastes in music back home are predominantly top-40 based, possibly EDM, certainly not rock unless its very poppy.

Their conversations are some of the most inane blather you can possibly imagine.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He's not trolling, he's just a koreaboo. There's a significant minority out there that are like this. They are almost all koreaboos into kdramas and kpop.

He said he wasn't into KPop, which is strange, because they look like they were made for each other.
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

atwood wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:
Quote:
You sound defensive. If you work as hard as you say, why?

So it's OK if parents are less pissed off? Maybe the guy's actually doing some teachers a big favor.

I'm not defensive. Also, I have stated why I feel people would be upset. I'll state them again for you.
I do not believe his criticisms of English teachers are intended to be helpful. I believe he is attempting to score points, and make himself look good, by putting down other teachers.
His criticisms may also lead to people having negative perceptions of English teachers, which may affect my life at some point.
But worst of all is his potential stupidity, eg posting inappropriate videos on the internet, if exposed could lead to situations similar to englishspectrum.

I also didn't say it was ok for the parents to be less pissed off.

You seem to be ignoring the points I'm trying to make, and are instead more interested in being confrontational and defensive of Glenn's behaviour. Therefore, for me to continue conversing with you does not benefit me in any way, and is of no interest to me. I've stated my opinions and stand by them.

Your ad hominem attacks are all well and good--the dude has some issues--but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. On the one video I viewed, and why anyone would watch more than one is beyond me, he made some valid points.

He/she seems to have an axe to grind/a grudge against non-Asian E.S.L. teachers.
atwood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ralph Winfield wrote:
atwood wrote:
jazzmaster wrote:
Quote:
You sound defensive. If you work as hard as you say, why?

So it's OK if parents are less pissed off? Maybe the guy's actually doing some teachers a big favor.

I'm not defensive. Also, I have stated why I feel people would be upset. I'll state them again for you.
I do not believe his criticisms of English teachers are intended to be helpful. I believe he is attempting to score points, and make himself look good, by putting down other teachers.
His criticisms may also lead to people having negative perceptions of English teachers, which may affect my life at some point.
But worst of all is his potential stupidity, eg posting inappropriate videos on the internet, if exposed could lead to situations similar to englishspectrum.

I also didn't say it was ok for the parents to be less pissed off.

You seem to be ignoring the points I'm trying to make, and are instead more interested in being confrontational and defensive of Glenn's behaviour. Therefore, for me to continue conversing with you does not benefit me in any way, and is of no interest to me. I've stated my opinions and stand by them.

Your ad hominem attacks are all well and good--the dude has some issues--but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater. On the one video I viewed, and why anyone would watch more than one is beyond me, he made some valid points.

He/she seems to have an axe to grind/a grudge against non-Asian E.S.L. teachers.

That may well be.
atwood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's making money off those videos, and you guys are helping him do that.

Why not just ignore him?
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He looks like the Japanese singer in TM Revolution if any of you know who that is.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to his explanation about why he avoids other foreign teachers.

"The majority of them, mostly guys, mostly white guys, they get together, go to a bar, get drunk, get so drunk they break stuff and then get into fights and then get kicked out."
I Hate English Teachers In South Korea Who...
Lucas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kK9FcWLnjoM

He looks like a ladyboy with Whitney Houston hair.

What the @#$% - it's not 'classy' to swear on youtube.

If you were my friend, I'd never tell you anything personal, coz pennies to a pound, you're a gossipy little bi#$* who'd betray my trust for the first mouthful of semen you could get.

I do agree with lots of the things he said though.
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's depressing how low people's expectations of foreign teachers here is. About half of the compliments I ever get are finished with '...compared to other foreigners' or '...for a foreigner'. Last week I heard 'You dress like a teacher, not like other foreigners'. A former CT who worked with NETs in the past said something to the effect of most foreigners just drink all the time and don't know anything about the country. Often when I've told coworkers I'm not actually American they've said things like 'that explains it' and went on to complain about Americans.

I don't know what's more frustrating; the foreigners who live up to all of the negative stereotypes or the gullible Koreans who believe everything they hear about us.

edwardcatflap wrote:
Quote:
Working hard and not always looking for shortcuts seem like pretty good ideas to me.

If they're on Waygook, they're looking for a shortcut. Otherwise they'd make the materials themselves. He's having a go at teachers looking for extra resources that don't require any extra planning or prep - which is kind of their point isn't it? 9 times out of 10 it takes just as much time to read, understand and adapt other teachers' material than to make your own from scratch so you want something that's good to go. But he's telling them to eff off. Strange.

I don't agree with that. Looking through four or five powerpoints to find the one you like the most and then adapting to taste takes way less time than doing it from scratch. When you are teaching from the same textbook as hundreds of other foreign teachers where is the harm sharing materials? In the time it takes (me) to make a grammar/practice powerpoint from scratch I could find and adapt two similar powerpoints and a game/activity or two
Steelrails

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the elementary level, complaining about people sharing PPTs for standardized textbooks is a bit much. At some point its better for certain subjects to just use a premade PPT. Now, you should still go over it and add in some of your own things, but there's nothing wrong with using someones "How to count to 12" template. What more can you add? A spinning "7"?
Stain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's alright to use already made ppts simply because I'm tired. I like to look for things that will please the students, especially when class is quickly approaching, and I have nothing. Sometimes, I plan well beforehand, and there's no need to look for something. However, there are many times when I haven't given it much thought, and my hangover is killing me. It's those times when I truly appreciate the effort others have made to make my class successful, which, in turn, makes everybody happy, including my boss. You may be disgusted by my hangover comment, but I have found that I teach better and am more engaging in that state. I feel like the bosses must feel the same way, considering they all seem equally fine the next day.
trueblue

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

He looks like a ladyboy with Whitney Houston hair

That may qualify for the "quotable quotes", that was once here....

Last edited by trueblue on Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squire wrote:
About half of the compliments I ever get are finished with '...compared to other foreigners' or '...for a foreigner'.

I don't know what's more frustrating; the foreigners who live up to all of the negative stereotypes or the gullible Koreans who believe everything they hear about us.

I usually reply most foreigners are like me. Actually most foreigners here seem not to be the stereotype. I think Koreans just like to put things down. Usually they seem to point out negatives.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 12 of 14

Jump to: