Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Couple discrimination when applying?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LivingLife05

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:59 am    Post subject: Couple discrimination when applying? Reply with quote

I've looked up some program sites before and they all stated that they preferred singles(specifically female for one of them which came off weird). Lets say that I'm with or could be with someone who is a native korean citizen but currently lives in the U.S who may return because of being homesick. Would that ease anything?. If I were to get into a relationship with this person, I would have no intention of leaving them over a job. Has anyone had success with applying while in a relationship of some sort? Rolling Eyes
sligo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a "Is a gay couple classed as a couple?" question. That is the only reason i can think of for such a weirdly constructed message, and the choice of pronouns.
LivingLife05

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sligo wrote:
Sounds like a "Is a gay couple classed as a couple?" question. That is the only reason i can think of for such a weirdly constructed message, and the choice of pronouns.

I'm a heterosexual female. You obviously don't know about the requirments.
LivingLife05

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basically asking if being in a relationship will hurt my chances (and if it's possible to take them with me) since it seems like some programs prefer singles. I guess because a person in a relationship would feel more homesick?
Aine1979

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're not referring to your relationship status, it's in regards to working - they prefer single aplications, not applications from couples. Some places prefer females, some specify male, some ask for North Americans etc. Some look for couples, some won't hire couples.

Having a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/spouse, either in Korea or overseas, will neither hinder nor help you secure a position, unless you're looking for work together.
LivingLife05

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aine1979 wrote:
They're not referring to your relationship status, it's in regards to working - they prefer single aplications, not applications from couples. Some places prefer females, some specify male, some ask for North Americans etc. Some look for couples, some won't hire couples.

Having a boyfriend/girlfriend/partner/spouse, either in Korea or overseas, will neither hinder nor help you secure a position, unless you're looking for work together.

Ok, that makes more sense. Thank you!
northway

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLife05 wrote:
sligo wrote:

lol wtf

Posts like this is why people aren't as helpful as they might otherwise be.
LivingLife05

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
LivingLife05 wrote:
sligo wrote:

lol wtf

Posts like this is why people aren't as helpful as they might otherwise be.

It was only a misunderstanding things like that happen, and I apologize to that person who was confused. It's no one's fault.
northway

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LivingLife05 wrote:
It was only a misunderstanding things like that happen, and I apologize to that person who was confused. It's no one's fault.

The implied tone in "You obviously don't know about the requirements" is absolutely someone's fault. If you think it comes off as "weird" that they're specifically looking for female candidates then you clearly haven't done much in the way of research, yet you have the presumption to tell someone who has been a board member for nearly eight years that they "obviously" don't have a clue. Again: this is why there is little patience for newb questions here.
SeoulNate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are both applying together, there are zero reasons why you would tell them you are in a relationship at all.

There are only two boxes to check on the immigration form:

Single
Married

If you aren't married, you are single according to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: