Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My friend Just got his account cleaned out by his korean gf.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Julius

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
Go back and read the original post. He wants the crap returned and the money back. Duh!

Your basic reading and critical thinking skills are missing in action again, genius.

Read the original post.

The guy intended to give her a card with a 1000W limit, but accidentally gave her a different credit card with a much higher limit.

That is all that history records.

But we can surmise that he gave the card willingly and she was under the impression that she could spend whatever she wanted.

In that case we are dealing with an accident caused by a miscommunication, not a case of deliberate theft.
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
salutbonjour wrote:
Your friend is an obvious beta *cheers for the dave's crowd*

This north american alpha-beta gamma-delta obsession is really tedious. All it reveals is a terrible confusion about what being a man-let alone human- actually involves. Rolling Eyes

To be fair everyone lets their guard down when they're in love. Generosity is a good quality, not a bad one. If anyone has not been in love or made mistakes that in hindsight seem embarrasing... then I pity them.

I pity mercenary asians whose only values are monetary even more, however. They're missing the point.

One of the smartest things I've read on Dave's in years. Good on you for having a mature and balanced outlook, mistakes and all.

To the OP: Your friend made a mistake, a costly one, but it could be worse. She's not pregnant, or claiming rape, both of which I've seen happen stateside to friends of mine who got involved with She-Devils back in their 20's. I highly doubt there's anything he can do, since he gave her access to the card. Maybe he can sell the purses, if she'll give them back. The fact that he didn't check his account says that he needs to monitor his finances better, something I hope he'll learn to do after this lesson.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

toby99 wrote:
Lets talk a bit more about this broad.

Where'd he meet her? Itaewon?
What does she look like? How is her english? What is her background? Age? Purported education?

Chances are, if this guy got burned, this dame is out there trying to swindle other weigooks. It's in our best interest to get all the info we can on this broad to prevent other expats from getting screwed over by this two-bit hustler.

Maybe the guy's an idiot, maybe not (he's definitely not without blame). But the fact is he got swindled and taken to the cleaners by a con artist. Time to call a spade a spade.

Too many of them out there.
lemak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
lemak wrote:
Go back and read the original post. He wants the crap returned and the money back. Duh!

Your basic reading and critical thinking skills are missing in action again, genius.

Read the original post.

The guy intended to give her a card with a 1000W limit, but accidentally gave her a different credit card with a much higher limit.

That is all that history records.

But we can surmise that he gave the card willingly and she was under the impression that she could spend whatever she wanted.

In that case we are dealing with an accident caused by a miscommunication, not a case of deliberate theft.

[equally pointless reply]

1)-That's all I get, huh? Non-sensical gibberish? If your last post were a scratch and sniff I'm imagining to stench of a homeless person's diarrhea.

2)-You're trying to move the goal posts and change the subject at hand, kiddo. Being unnecessarily contrary isn't the mark of anyone smart. Just someone dull and lonely and pathetic.

Please tell me what topic you'd like to argue and let's argue it. Changing what I'm a "genius" or "complete idiot" (heavens to betsy make up yer mind) about every time you're proven wrong is a waste of my time.

You can do better than this, luv? Or can't.

Feel free to reply tomorrow *after* you've sobered up and/or taken your estrogen pill, sistah.

xo (how could I ever stay mad at you!?!)

Rolling Eyes

[/equally pointless reply]
lemak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gnawbert wrote:
Julius wrote:
salutbonjour wrote:

This north american alpha-beta gamma-delta obsession is really tedious. All it reveals is a terrible confusion about what being a man-let alone human- actually involves. Rolling Eyes

To be fair everyone lets their guard down when they're in love. Generosity is a good quality, not a bad one. If anyone has not been in love or made mistakes that in hindsight seem embarrasing... then I pity them.

I pity mercenary asians whose only values are monetary even more, however. They're missing the point.

One of the smartest things I've read on Dave's in years. Good on you for having a mature and balanced outlook, mistakes and all.

Haha! I can only assume you're either Julia's sock, or the only other thing you've read on Daves in years was the one about "Is this lump a pimple or a wart?" Laughing
northway

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really a paranoid, untrusting bunch here, eh? In a serious relationship with a girl, I have zero problem giving her my bank card.
toby99

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Really a paranoid, untrusting bunch here, eh? In a serious relationship with a girl, I have zero problem giving her my bank card.

True. Some guys just seem to attract all the crazies.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:

I wouldn't unless we're married and our incomes are being pooled.
northway

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
northway wrote:

I wouldn't do what this guy did, but I also don't date broke girls.
EZE

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a "girlfriend" is asking for financial compensation and the "boyfriend" gives it, it's a prostitute/john relationship.
Mix1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Captain Corea wrote:
northway wrote:

I wouldn't do what this guy did, but I also don't date broke girls.

Then why would they ever need your bank card in the first place?

It's just a different perspective. Trusting or not, I wouldn't like being thought of as an ATM. It sets the wrong precedent. If I'm ever asked for such a thing (bank card, money), my respect for them would lower and the "gold-digger" alert goes would go off in my head, even if I trusted them.

If you're having to give them cards, money, handbags, to keep things working well, maybe something's wrong. A few gifts on special occasions is fine, but a bank card is ridiculous to me. It's the modern world and they want to work and be thought of as equals, so... they should have their own spending money.
Mix1

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
If a "girlfriend" is asking for financial compensation and the "boyfriend" gives it, it's a prostitute/john relationship.

Basically true.

Although requests for handbags can count as well. That's basically like gold to them.
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
Gnawbert wrote:
Julius wrote:
salutbonjour wrote:

Haha! I can only assume you're either Julia's sock, or the only other thing you've read on Daves in years was the one about "Is this lump a pimple or a wart?" Laughing

Smile Member since 2007. Do I get a 5 year coin?
Gnawbert

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:

Agreed, for the most part. "Serious relationship" can mean a lot of different things to a lot of people. I'm sure lots of people here have watched their friends toss not just caution but sane behavior aside when in first falling in love. Serious in ones early 20's could seem to be quite a different thing a decade later. It sure has for me.

That said, the sane thing to do is to look at past behavior and financial responsability and making sure one's on the same page as their partner before handing over a card that gives access to large sums of money. Dude learned an expensive lesson, but its one men have learned again and again since the beginning of history.
Julius

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
If I'm ever asked for such a thing (bank card, money), my respect for them would lower and the "gold-digger" alert goes would go off in my head

Absolutely.

In this case though, there is no indication that she asked for the money.

However its easy to tell the bitter misogynists (*cough* lemak Laughing ) who have leapt on this story to demonize women and to spill all their anger about the opposite sex.

Quote:
It's the modern world and they want to work and be thought of as equals, so... they should have their own spending money.

Maybe in the US but Korean women aren't exactly demanding equality, nor do they all earn their own spending money. Its a male-dominated society and its entirely normal to them to look to men to provide cash. Korean men also view women as a commodity to buy, or win over with displays of earning power.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: