Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My friend Just got his account cleaned out by his korean gf.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
northway

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
Mix1 wrote:
If I'm ever asked for such a thing (bank card, money), my respect for them would lower and the "gold-digger" alert goes would go off in my head

Absolutely.

In this case though, there is no indication that she asked for the money.

However its easy to tell the bitter misogynists (*cough* lemak Laughing ) who have leapt on this story to demonize women and to spill all their anger about the opposite sex. .

Right, for all we know the guy gave her the bank card in order to make a purchase or pay a bill for him and she proceeded to take him for a ride. Handing off the card isn't the issue here, associating with the wrong individuals is.
javis

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
lemak wrote:
Go back and read the original post. He wants the crap returned and the money back. Duh!

Your basic reading and critical thinking skills are missing in action again, genius.

Read the original post.

The guy intended to give her a card with a 1000W limit, but accidentally gave her a different credit card with a much higher limit.

That is all that history records.

But we can surmise that he gave the card willingly and she was under the impression that she could spend whatever she wanted.

In that case we are dealing with an accident caused by a miscommunication, not a case of deliberate theft.

Are you really defending someone who cleaned out another person to the tune of 6 million won in three weeks? She thought it was ok to spend that much on luxury items without asking. That's not ok. She seems to be a selfish person without an appreciation for the value of money.
hellofaniceguy

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was an expensive piece of....
who was screwing who I wonder?!
Anyway..it happens day in and day out..both sexes play the game...but it's usually guys getting conned.
She is an expert at sex and knows how to get you worked up!
Guys fall for it all the time because they are thinking with their junk and not their brains!
All he has to do is tell the bank or cops...I did not give her the card...she took it and I did not know about it until the bill arrived.
Two can play that game...if she wants to play hard ball....stick it to her then!
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EZE wrote:
If a "girlfriend" is asking for financial compensation and the "boyfriend" gives it, it's a prostitute/john relationship.

Prostitution by any other name is still prostitution.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
lemak wrote:
Go back and read the original post. He wants the crap returned and the money back. Duh!

Your basic reading and critical thinking skills are missing in action again, genius.

Read the original post.

The guy intended to give her a card with a 1000W limit, but accidentally gave her a different credit card with a much higher limit.

He didn't give her a different credit card at all. He gave her his DEBIT card.
sirius black

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
EZE wrote:
If a "girlfriend" is asking for financial compensation and the "boyfriend" gives it, it's a prostitute/john relationship.

Prostitution by any other name is still prostitution.

^+10 points to Gryffindor
sirius black

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Really a paranoid, untrusting bunch here, eh? In a serious relationship with a girl, I have zero problem giving her my bank card.

Not paranoid. Just common sense. Also, I would have to question why my 'serious relationship girl' would need my bank card in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, I've had Korean girlfriends help me purchase something online like plane tickets, etc. from korean sites but I knew what I was buying and how much.
I've had fairly serious relationships where we went on vacation together and whether she's Korean, American or whatever, I don't my girl my bank card in the manner this guy has. I am usually right there such as paying for a dinner or whatever. But to just go out with it when I'm not around? hahahaha....nah, not happening. There is trust..and there is 'trust.

Hopefully fpr your sake we won't be reading your story on here in the future.
Every guy likes to think he has the perfect or near perfect relationship...unitl its not. Wink
le-paul

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirius black wrote:
northway wrote:
Really a paranoid, untrusting bunch here, eh? In a serious relationship with a girl, I have zero problem giving her my bank card.

Not paranoid. Just common sense. Also, I would have to question why my 'serious relationship girl' would need my bank card in the first place.
Don't get me wrong, I've had Korean girlfriends help me purchase something online like plane tickets, etc. from korean sites but I knew what I was buying and how much.
I've had fairly serious relationships where we went on vacation together and whether she's Korean, American or whatever, I don't my girl my bank card in the manner this guy has. I am usually right there such as paying for a dinner or whatever. But to just go out with it when I'm not around? hahahaha....nah, not happening. There is trust..and there is 'trust.

Every guy likes to think he has the perfect or near perfect relationship...unitl its not. Wink

i give my korean gf my bank card all the time. Apart from trusting her, i think its a question of character. She just isnt as superficial as a lot of people ive met here and id far more likely find her spending her last chonwon on a snack for a stray dog, than buying makeup for herself.
point is, its a judgement call
northway

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sirius black wrote:
northway wrote:

We're not actually in disagreement here, as I say much the same in my follow-up posts. Point being, I'm perfectly comfortable with the (right) girl having the card. This doesn't mean I'm providing spending money, as this fool seemed to, just that it's not as if you're breaking some cardinal rule by giving someone close to you your bank card to use. Again, even in this case the exact circumstances have not been made clear.
Mix1

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Julius wrote:
Mix1 wrote:

It's the modern world and they want to work and be thought of as equals, so... they should have their own spending money.

Maybe in the US but Korean women aren't exactly demanding equality, nor do they all earn their own spending money. Its a male-dominated society and its entirely normal to them to look to men to provide cash. Korean men also view women as a commodity to buy, or win over with displays of earning power.

True enough, they aren't demanding equality, but many are working a lot (those that do work) and saving a lot, or getting Daddy's money, so most don't NEED any money.

If she does need money, she goes down a notch and she'd get the boot pretty fast as far as I'm concerned (unless she has some other redeeming qualities that would make her worth keeping around a bit longer...
young_clinton

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

javis wrote:
She seems to be a selfish person without an appreciation for the value of money.

No, a criminal.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The weak are meat, and the strong do eat!

jaku niku kyō shoku
salutbonjour

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mix1 wrote:
Julius wrote:
Mix1 wrote:

It's the modern world and they want to work and be thought of as equals, so... they should have their own spending money.

Maybe in the US but Korean women aren't exactly demanding equality, nor do they all earn their own spending money. Its a male-dominated society and its entirely normal to them to look to men to provide cash. Korean men also view women as a commodity to buy, or win over with displays of earning power.

True enough, they aren't demanding equality, but many are working a lot (those that do work) and saving a lot, or getting Daddy's money, so most don't NEED any money.

Even if they work, parents usually cash in the money and give them an allowance afterwards. Once they get married they receive their money for wedding related expenses such as furniture and house. My gf has no idea how much money she has despite having over half of her salary saved for over three years.
loose_ends

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys need to remember that there was no sexual revolution in Korea like there was in North America. Love/Sex is not free in Asia. The sooner you figure that out the hotter your girlfriends will become. When in Rome.
Mix1

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

salutbonjour wrote:
Mix1 wrote:
Julius wrote:
Mix1 wrote:

Even if they work, parents usually cash in the money and give them an allowance afterwards. Once they get married they receive their money for wedding related expenses such as furniture and house. My gf has no idea how much money she has despite having over half of her salary saved for over three years.

Ok, but that's a side issue; I'm sure she has plenty of spending money regardless. So much so that hopefully she isn't asking you for handbags, etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: