Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gyeongju University
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ralph Winfield

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeongju University Reply with quote

Waygeek wrote:
beege wrote:
You'll be responsbile for coming up with something on your own.

God forbid!

Those conversation classes sound great, I love wine! Plus, their conversation skills are an important part to develop that is woefully under-taught in this country.

I might apply there one day, thanks for the info!

Is English your first language?
atwood

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend working there now. According to him, the administration is very disorganized and untrustworthy to boot. Turnover is very high as a result.
Rigpa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for asking. I am happy to say more about this issue if it can help keep teachers from being taken advantage of.

I have a PhD. I believe that all the Foreign Faculty are classed as Visiting. As I have left the country, it is very difficult to get answers from GU. The vice-president does not answer my emails. In fact, he and the Head of Foreign Faculty have blocked my emails. I would say that the further up you go in GU, the more corrupt it gets. The Korean labour board is currently looking into this issue, but it takes months.

I can tell you that about 10 of us were not paid our final salary. Most of those not paid were from the Philippines. They got together as a group and through the Labour Board managed to get paid in the end; though I was told that they were forced to "donate" part of their salary back to GU in order to guarantee a contract extension. However, there are those who chose to return to the Philippines, and who have not donated. There was also an American teacher who was paid half her final salary in a "deal" to get a second contract.

When I asked the Head of Foreign Faculty about all this, he said he had "good news" for me. The good news was that they had decided not to pay me at all. So not only are they thieves, they are rather sick.
Annemie_Wessels

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject: Gyeongju University Now (2018)? Reply with quote

Ok, so I take it some people were not 'happy' with this university a few years ago.

However, what about now? How is the University now? And how is their Korean Language Program?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: