Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Psy no one hit wonder
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Psy no one hit wonder Reply with quote

What happened...wasn't GS supposed to be a one hit deal?

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/culture/2013/05/201_134967.html

Quote:
Rapper and singer Psy�s newest single �Gentleman� snatched a Guinness world record as the most viewed video online in 24 hours, according to the Guinness Web site.

�Gentleman became the most viewed online video in a 24-hour period when it drew 38.4 million hits on YouTube on April 14, the second day of its release,� the Web site said in an article posted on Thursday (local time).

The Web site also noted, �Proving that �Gangnam Style� was far from a one-hit-wonder, South Korean sensation Psy has secured another Guinness World Records title with his follow-up single, �Gentleman.�� �The video registered 38,409,306 views on YouTube within its first 24 hours on April 14, and at the time of writing 11 days later, has been seen more than 222,867,915 views,� it said.

The 35-year-old sensation has set four Guinness world records so far including the previous three he won through �Gangnam Style,� in the categories of � the most viewed video online, the most �liked� video online, and the first video to receive 1 billion views.

Psy�s new video has gained more than 255 million views as of 4 pm Tuesday.

The article went on to say that the success of Gentleman is more immediate than that of its predecessor, reaching 100 million views in barely four days, compared to the almost two months it took Gangnam Style to cross the same threshold.
MoneyMike

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the youtube view numbers really mean that much, and they certainly don't show popularity.

I don't have a hate on for him like lots of other posters on here seem to, but I'd be surprised if Psy maintained his popularity abroad.
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MoneyMike wrote:
I don't think the youtube view numbers really mean that much, and they certainly don't show popularity.

Apparently the GB people think said view numbers mean enough to establish it as a valid record...although I'm leaning towards your view on this one as well.

But I'm a little baffled by this part of your comment "they certainly don't show popularity."

If you mean that it may be the same users clicking over and over again...I'd have to say that's questionable at best. Sure there are probably a lot of repeat views no doubt...but with over 250 million views...that's an awful lot of repeat clicks even if you have a 100,000 people doing it. And somehow I'm doubting that tens of thousands of Koreans are sitting in PC cafes or at their home computer doing nothing but robotically clicking on the repeat button thousands of times.

If so that begs the question. Why aren't ALL Psy's videos/songs in the hundreds of millions of hits? Or Rain's or BOA's or any other flavor-of-the-moment group?
Steelrails

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't hate Psy, I just wish he'd go away.

Quote:
And somehow I'm doubting that tens of thousands of Koreans are sitting in PC cafes or at their home computer doing nothing but robotically clicking on the repeat button thousands of times.

If so that begs the question. Why aren't ALL Psy's videos/songs in the hundreds of millions of hits? Or Rain's or BOA's or any other flavor-of-the-moment group?

Quiet you. Statements like that which involve critical thinking are not welcome here.
Patrick Bateman

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it could be that a large percentage of the people who viewed the video were not doing it out of a desire to see/hear Psy per se, but rather were attempting to jump aboard another potential global, cultural, phenomena as soon as possible.

No criticism intended for Psy, just musing.
le-paul

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could also be a computer program that bumps up hits\views...
Rocktek

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.....

http://youtu.be/tIwH7ptHCWc
Rocktek

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go.....

http://youtu.be/tIwH7ptHCWc
schwa

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocktek wrote:
Here you go..... http://youtu.be/tIwH7ptHCWc

Thats just brilliant. Very funny.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

Which still doesn't answer the question of why only Psy's video and no others?
OneWayTraffic

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the views were people curious if his next song is as good as his last.

Give it a year. If he's got true staying power hell, give it five.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is taking Youtube so long to strip millions of Psy's Youtube views away? They've done so with lady Gaga, Beyonce, Michael Jackson, Chris Brown and Leona Lewis. I suppose Youtube doesn't want to be attacked by a whole nations(South Korea) Internet attackers, kind of like how CNN doesn't dare say anything half bad about S. Korea. The western media learned about that(don't say anything negative/tell the truth about S. Korea) during the 1988 olympics.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/29/lady-gaga-youtube-views_n_2574182.html
Waygeek

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Youtube has tools to detect fake hits; and has stripped millions of them from PSY's and Biebers videos, not to mention a few other videos.

So the numbers you see are fairly accurate.
Los Angeloser

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waygeek wrote:
Youtube has tools to detect fake hits; and has stripped millions of them from PSY's and Biebers videos, not to mention a few other videos.

So the numbers you see are fairly accurate.

Yes, I've seen where Beiber etc... has been stripped but haven't seen or heard that Psy has been. LINK?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
le-paul wrote:

Which still doesn't answer the question of why only Psy's video and no others?

Because, man, artists compete with each other. They are not going to help competition out of the goodness of their heart (and risk getting exposed while doing so). Psy was born into a millionaire family. Other kpop stars weren't I assume. Were American celebs (like T-Pain) bribed by Psy (given a white envelope) to tweet about how great of a video Gangnam Style was? Maybe. I can't prove it either way, and neither can you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: