Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why there is so much prostitution in Korea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

South Korea:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41990305/page/6
United Kingdom:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41990305/page/2
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
South Korea:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41990305/page/6
United Kingdom:
http://www.cnbc.com/id/41990305/page/2

Ok, but consider this:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/27/britain-drinking-study_n_2775985.html

"UK Drinking Study: Britons Underestimate Their Alcohol Consumption By 40 Percent'.

Regardless, you need to then correlate the rate of alcohol consumption to the frequency of visits to hookers in each of those countries to see how your assertion stands.
tiger fancini

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
tiger fancini wrote:
It seems that in your little tantrum, you have confused me with someone else.

Time and again, you post things to like, "The reason why I have a great and wonderful English teaching job and you don't is because I am so much better than you. People get good jobs according to their worth. Blah, blah, blah..." So what is this amazing ESL teaching job you got (due to being such an amazing person)? University jobs are the best jobs around. (So I assumed that's what you were bragging about, as many of the pretentious middle aged lifers on Dave's often do.) Tell us what your credentials are and what job you have..

If it's all the same to you, I'd rather not discuss my job in a thread about prostitution. I certainly wasn't the one who mentioned my job in this thread, and if my memory serves me correctly it's been a fair old while since I discussed my job here. Again, I'm wondering if you are still a little confused.

But, as for your OP. I'm sorry if my first comment offended you so much that you felt the need to resort to a string of direct insults. I only said that you came across as something, and most certainly did not directly insult your character or question your credentials. It's a shame that you felt the need to do that to me, but whatever. It's the just the internet.

I felt your OP was very self-righteous and patronizing. It also smacks of superiority. You mentioned that when you get drunk, you lose control and do terrible things. Eating junk food (the shock) and smoking (the horror). But your tone suggests a certain relief that you are not as bad as these Korean guys who go one step further and visit a brothel. So at least you can rest easy, as you are not as bad as them.

You also mentioned feeling sad. Sad that some guys choose to spend money on paying for sex. Why would that be? Surely what a person spends his or her hard-earned money on is not really your concern. You make a huge assumption that such guys are the sole breadwinners for poor, hungry families.

And I'm sorry again, but your post has a fake child-like innocence to it that just wound me up a little bit. Kind of reminded me of Cartman from South Park when he pretends to be perfect and angelic.

As for the alcohol link, well there may be something in it. Personally I've always believed that the reason that prostitution exists, and has existed for so long, is simply because of the sheer numbers of men who are willing to pay for sex. Such men include teetotalers, and also men who are not under the influence of alcohol at the time of purchasing sex.
edwardcatflap

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As for the alcohol link, well there may be something in it. Personally I've always believed that the reason that prostitution exists, and has existed for so long, is simply because of the sheer numbers of men who are willing to pay for sex. Such men include teetotalers, and also men who are not under the influence of alcohol at the time of purchasing sex.

There are also a lot of men who find it very difficult to have normal relationships with women due to physical or mental defects. Something the average bloke would not be very interested in empathising with.
Waygeek

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:

Time and again, you post things to like, "The reason why I have a great and wonderful English teaching job and you don't is because I am so much better than you. People get good jobs according to their worth. Blah, blah, blah..."

In a way, he's right. If you have a good attitude, better things will come to you.
Steelrails

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
If the OP's hypothesis was correct, then the UK would be wall-to-wall hookers on every street.
Alcohol isn't the cause of prostitution in Korea, but I agree that booze-addled decision-making certainly contributes to it.

Some people gof or hookers, others gamble or fight.

Quote:
Except that the title/content of his post was dealing solely with Korea and Korean men. If he'd just made a general claim about men all over the world you might be able to claim that.

But nope he focused solely on Korea and worse yet made the claim that alcohol is the reason why there is so much prostitution in Korea.

But I think it was in the larger context of alcohol leading to poor decisions.

He mentioned his own faults and how this happens the world over.

In Korea it might manifest as prostitution. In England it might be people beating each other over 22 guys chasing a ball. Different symptoms of the same disease.
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
If the OP's hypothesis was correct, then the UK would be wall-to-wall hookers on every street.
Alcohol isn't the cause of prostitution in Korea, but I agree that booze-addled decision-making certainly contributes to it.

Some people gof or hookers, others gamble or fight.

Quote:
Except that the title/content of his post was dealing solely with Korea and Korean men. If he'd just made a general claim about men all over the world you might be able to claim that.

But nope he focused solely on Korea and worse yet made the claim that alcohol is the reason why there is so much prostitution in Korea.

But I think it was in the larger context of alcohol leading to poor decisions.

He mentioned his own faults and how this happens the world over.

In Korea it might manifest as prostitution. In England it might be people beating each other over 22 guys chasing a ball. Different symptoms of the same disease.

For someone who is so jumpy over generalizations about Korea, you seem to have a very narrow-minded and stereotyped perspective on the UK. Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and dispute your claims about the UK, but I won't because like some of the generalizations about Koreans on this board, there is probably a grain of truth in it.
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
No. Completely sober. I take it you apologist bros don't like what I typed and would rather the issue be swept under the rug than thoughtfully addressed?

As an apologist, I thought your post was fine. There was nothing "anti-Korea" or hating on Korean culture. On the contrary it offered a rather straight forward explanation- A guy on the streets after getting tanked, notices a house of ill-repute and being inebriated, decides to blow a few hundred bucks there.

In your post you mentioned how bad judgments happen from drunken men the world over, including yourself.

I don't see anything wrong with the OP that merits screaming over. In fact, it could be used as a case study in how to write a post examining an aspect of life in Korea, without making a bigoted filled bash.

The OP offers an attempt at rational explanations, understands that this is a problem that manifests itself in various forms around the world, is humble enough to realize his own faults in this area, and credits that such problems aren't through the inherent evil of Koreans, but may be the case of a single guy walking home and making a dumb choice, and this phenomenon occurring across the country. In fact the next day, the guy may even be totally disgusted with what happened.

That's not to say that his conclusions are well researched and authoritative. You can dismiss his conclusions. Just that this isn't a thread that should be put in the basher category.

Is that how you judge every single thread posted here? Criticizes Korea = bad, doesn't criticize Korea = good?

I criticize this thread because it is mindless ramblings about nothing. I clicked on it expecting actual news or facts, but it is a blog post by someone bored, and should be nestled between "What I ate today!!!!" and "OMG, The Big Bang Theory is awesome!!!"
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:

Wait, so you won't tell us your job (even a vague, general description), while accusing me of being confused and not remembering correctly? That's a rather pathetic game you are playing.

Next, you tsk tsk me for insulting you, before, during, and after insulting me.

You are making assumptions misreading the message I was trying to convey.

I said when intoxicated I've done stupid things I regret. I should make a complete list of every thing, otherwise my post is bad?

I've thought you were an self righteous patronizing jerk for a long time, tiger fancini, and I guess you've felt the same way about me. Same with PatrickGHBusan. He called me self righteous...yet others call him self righteous. Anyways, besides you and him no one has ever (in real life or online) described me this way. I guess you and homer have similar personalities.

tiger fancini wrote:
You also mentioned feeling sad. Sad that some guys choose to spend money on paying for sex. Why would that be? Surely what a person spends his or her hard-earned money on is not really your concern. You make a huge assumption that such guys are the sole breadwinners for poor, hungry families.

I see guys in their 40s going into brothels all the time. Most Korean guys that age are married and most have families. Even if they are middle class and their wife works too (though in many, many cases in Korea the wife does not work), that does not excuse spending money on prostitutes. That money can still be used for more books for their kids, and more healthy food, and nice clothes. How could you possibly think visiting prostitutes is a good use of one's money?

tiger fancini wrote:
Personally I've always believed that the reason that prostitution exists, and has existed for so long, is simply because of the sheer numbers of men who are willing to pay for sex.

And intoxication, mixed with prostitution being readily available and out in the open increases these numbers more.

The issue is not why there is prostitution in the world (as if everywhere has exactly equal amounts), but why Korea has more compared to elsewhere. Can you answer that? (I think you can't; as an apologist your head would explode.)

Look at the numbers for prostitution in Western countries (where we are from). In the U.S. (and these numbers are very similar in the other seven countries from which we come) 15% of men pay for sex at least once in their lifetime (which means 85% do not). Slightly over 1% have visited a prostitute within the past year. That is a tiny percentage. There is WAY more prostitution in Korea. Way more.

Quote:
According to the government-run Korean Institute of Criminology, one-fifth of men in their twenties buy sex at least four times a month, creating an endless customer base for prostitutes.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
I criticize this thread because it is mindless ramblings about nothing. I clicked on it expecting actual news or facts, but it is a blog post by someone bored, and should be nestled between "What I ate today!!!!" and "OMG, The Big Bang Theory is awesome!!!"

Sorry, but prostitution is not "nothing" to me. It is a serious issue, and not in the same category as "What I ate for breakfast." Sorry you don't see things that way. Do you think it's a healthy and good thing for a woman to become a prostitute? I don't. Do you think it's a good and healthy thing for a man to visit prostitutes. I don't. And prostitution is happening on a very wide scale in Korea. That's not something you feel concern about?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
"UK Drinking Study: Britons Underestimate Their Alcohol Consumption By 40 Percent'.

Couldn't alcohol consumption be tracked by alcohol sales? (If anything then, South Korea could be the one doing the underreporting of alcohol consumption, due to the unusually large underground economy there.)

cj1976, do you have a better explanation than mine for all the prostitution in Korea? (I think alcohol is a big contributing factor. You don't?)
cj1976

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

Couldn't alcohol consumption be tracked by alcohol sales? (If anything then, South Korea could be the one doing the underreporting of alcohol consumption, due to the unusually large underground economy there.)

cj1976, do you have a better explanation than mine for all the prostitution in Korea? (I think alcohol is a big contributing factor. You don't?)

I think you are ignoring or unaware of a myriad of factors that contribute to prostitution in Korea, or any country. You are also just seeing it from the perspective of the drunken ajoshi. Not all clients are 40 year old soju drinkers.
You also need to ask, why do so many women turn to prostitution? Clearly not an easy question to answer, as other people have pointed out already.
Alcohol-impaired decision making isn't the root cause of prostitution.

Last edited by cj1976 on Tue May 14, 2013 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waygeek

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:

Sorry, but prostitution is not "nothing" to me. It is a serious issue

How noble, I'm sure your rant has nothing to do with this being about South Koreans really and not prostitution at all.
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tiger fancini wrote:
World Traveler wrote:
No. Completely sober. I take it you apologist bros don't like what I typed and would rather the issue be swept under the rug than thoughtfully addressed?

Thoughtfully addressed? You've got to be kidding. You come across as a self-righteous, patronizing bore with an unhealthy fixation on prostitution. This isn't exactly the first thread you've started on the topic, is it?

I don't know why you're attacking the OP when the dude is speaking the truth.

This is a good issue to talk about here on Daves and the previous poster who mentioned the blog thing was a jack ass.

If you don't find this issue interesting then why did you click on the thread in the first place tiger fancini?

I simply cannot understand people like you. It's retarded
everything-is-everything

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:

So if you think all men would jeopardize a relationship just to sink their tool, youve got a lot of growing up to do.

Sounds like you've never been sufficiently tested.

Men for the most part are as loyal as their options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: