Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4th of July American Independence Day celebrations in Seoul

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jls5355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: 4th of July American Independence Day celebrations in Seoul Reply with quote

Does anyone know of any 4th of July events planned for this year in Seoul? I can't find anything posted for this yet. I know Yongsan has put on fireworks shows in the past, or had some kind of celebration going on in that area, but I haven't heard anything set in stone yet. Someone said they will not do anything this year because of North Korea, but that seems ridiculous to me. I'm up for any type of party: anything going on at any bars or restaurants?

Thanks!
Smithington

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any bar in Itaewon that has a lot of Americans will have something. Grand Ole Opry on the hill always has a patriotic crowd. For some reason the national anthem gets sang almost every night there . (Good way to drive the Canadians out of the bar, I guess.)

The US embassy website might have further information on events.
javis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There will be fireworks at Osan AB and Camp Humphries in Pyongtaek as well. I don't think the bases will be open to non-military, though. The area around Humphries is really flat, and they probably have a bigger budget, so that would be the better bet for seeing fireworks from off base, in my opinion.
jls5355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I appreciate the sincere replies and lack of "Go home" or whatever that I've seen in the past. I'm enjoying Korea to the fullest and the culture, just the 4th is a summer staple to me and I think it would be an interesting experience to recognize it here with others.
jls5355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why it posted twice but I'll edit the repeat to post information in case anyone else is out there wondering: Yongsan will be putting off fireworks at 930pm. You need someone in the military to sign you in for the actual base but mingling around nearby will help you find decent spots to watch. Someone is claiming that in the past they let all US citizens on base on July 4th to participate in activities so long as they showed a valid passport. No idea if that's legit or not, but I guess I'll bring mine anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: