Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Southeast Asia by land

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
austinmc86

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Southeast Asia by land Reply with quote

I want to do this trip...

Thailand > Laos > Cambodia > Vietnam

Can I get visas at all the land border crossings?

I know for Vietnam I have to fly to get a VOA, but would I have problems with any of the other countries getting a visa on arrival by land?

To clarify, I am a US citizen.

I plan on flying from Korea to Thailand,then Laos and Cambodia by land and from Cambodia fly to Vietnam and from there fly back home to America.

Will I have a problem at the airport or passport control because I don't have a plane ticket departing from Thailand? Or will this be okay?

Last edited by austinmc86 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:26 am; edited 1 time in total
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Southeast Asia by land Reply with quote

austinmc86 wrote:
I want to do this trip...

Thailand > Laos > Cambodia > Vietnam

Can I get visas at all the land border crossings?

I know for Vietnam I have to fly to get a VOA, but would I have problems with any of the other countries getting a visa on arrival by land?

Without knowing your country of passport it is impossible to give accurate information but as a general rule:

No problem for the Thai>Laos crossing or the Thai to Cambodia land crossing bur fees vary widely depending on your passport.

Not sure about the Laos to Cambodia crossing.

If you are going to Thailand first then just get visas for all of your stops while you are there in BKK. They have a shelf life of 90 days each (enter within 90 days or they expire).

thrylos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you can. Assuming you'll be flying into Thailand first, you'll get 30 days for Thailand (14 if by land) on arrival, 30 for Cambodia, and I think 30 for Laos.

Thailand is free, Cambodia will be $20 plus a couple more for 'fees' (though not official), and Laos will be $30-40, depending on your nationality. Check to make sure your crossing into Laos from either Cambodia and Thailand allows for a VOA, as quite a few crossings into Laos dont. Cambodia is much more straight forward for visas coming from any of the places you mentioned.
augustine

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done all of those same crossings as well (US), though I flew into Cambodia from Laos. I also went overland to VN from Cambodia and the visa just took a couple days in PP. Lot of people making those trips, don't think it'll be a problem, minus the obvious hassles you're going to have physically crossing into each place.
bossface

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a very similar trip last year, and I'm American too. I got a visa at the border in Laos (crossing at Chang Khong - Huay Xai) and I sorted out my Cambodia visa in southern Laos (4,000 Islands) on the day that I traveled to Cambodia. I got my Vietnam visa in Pakse, Laos at the consulate there. It cost $50 US, which is pricier than at other embassies and consulates. On the plus side, there was nobody waiting in line so I got everything taken care of visa-wise in under 20 minutes. You do not have to fly to VN to get a visa, you can get one at any Vietnamese embassy or consulate along the way.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: