Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Obtaining Korean Citizenship
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malaz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally applied for 일반귀화 today in Suwon immigration office.
I am not married to a Korean, lived in korea for 8 years in which I obtained Master and Ph.d and currently working in a company and have an F-5 visa (that I got yesterday ! ). The employee in the office said I have two options, one is to apply for 일반귀화 which I can apply for right now and in this case I will have to give up my original citizenship, and wait for 2~3 years to get the result even without test because I got my KIIP certificate.
The other option is special naturalization. In this case I have to wait until I have completed 2 years of work in the company, and with the hope of having a salary 3 times the GNI of Korea. In this case the processing time will be down to few months and will not have to give up my citizenship.
Anyway I submitted for 일반귀화, and naturally I doubt the information I got from the employee due to previous experiences of conflicting information.
What do you guys think? Do you have information or experience about the correctness, bendability of these rules?
tob55

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your home country allows for dual citizenship, then there is no reason why you cannot apply and receive dual citizenship. People who come from countries with no agreement in place concerning dual citizenship will require you to make a choice of staying on the F5 or giving up one citizenship. Korean has made great strides in making changes to their naturalization policies. I hope it works out for you.
taobenli

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just looking through this thread with interest. Lots of good advice here. I am a professor in Korea (E-1, teaching in my discipline), and here with my husband and daughter, both on F-3 (dependent) visas. We are all American. My husband will likely begin working on an E-1 or E-2 in early 2016, he is just taking a break and helping our daughter adjust now. I have spent time in Korea over the last ten years studying language and doing research, but the longest I have lived here in one stretch is 2.5 years. I have a PhD (unfortunately not in the sciences, which would give me more points at immigration!) and have graduated from a Korean university language program. Never passed the TOPIK, and never taken the KIIP course. I probably am not interested in citizenship, but would be very interested in permanent residency especially if it meant my husband could have a more flexible work life (piece part time jobs together legally, do freelance work, etc.). That would be much better for him. What are the current requirements for permanent residency? How long is it likely to take me to get it? And is the line between requirements for permanent residency and citizenship thin enough that I should just go for citizenship? (And how would this in turn affect my husband?) Thank you!
tob55

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

taobenli wrote:
I was just looking through this thread with interest. Lots of good advice here. I am a professor in Korea (E-1, teaching in my discipline), and here with my husband and daughter, both on F-3 (dependent) visas. We are all American. My husband will likely begin working on an E-1 or E-2 in early 2016, he is just taking a break and helping our daughter adjust now. I have spent time in Korea over the last ten years studying language and doing research, but the longest I have lived here in one stretch is 2.5 years. I have a PhD (unfortunately not in the sciences, which would give me more points at immigration!) and have graduated from a Korean university language program. Never passed the TOPIK, and never taken the KIIP course. I probably am not interested in citizenship, but would be very interested in permanent residency especially if it meant my husband could have a more flexible work life (piece part time jobs together legally, do freelance work, etc.). That would be much better for him. What are the current requirements for permanent residency? How long is it likely to take me to get it? And is the line between requirements for permanent residency and citizenship thin enough that I should just go for citizenship? (And how would this in turn affect my husband?) Thank you!

A few questions before we address getting the visa:

1. How many actual years of "living" in Korea continuously at present?
2. Where did you obtain your PhD (If it was from a Korean University, then you already qualify for the F5)
3. Age, experience, education and other things will work towards receiving permanent residency. Have you looked at the list of requirements and do you have a point total currently that you can share? (You need 80 points if my memory serves me correctly)

You can download the current volume of the foreigner Sojourn Guide from the Immigration website. If you cannot find it, PM me and I can forward a copy to you.

Good luck on your endeavors.
Cool
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tob55 wrote:
1. How many actual years of "living" in Korea continuously at present?
taobenli wrote:
I haven't bought tickets yet but was aiming for August 12th, so we have a little time to settle before I start teaching Sept. 1st.
This was posted "Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:18 am" so time spent in country is less than 1 month. Reset.
tob55 wrote:
2. Where did you obtain your PhD? (If it was from a Korean University, then you already qualify for the F5)
taobenli wrote:
I've just finished my PhD (not in Korea, in the U.S.)
Oh well.
tob55 wrote:
3. Age, experience, education and other things will work towards receiving permanent residency.
taobenli wrote:
I studied Mandarin for four years of college ... I spent two years out of school ... For Japanese, I lived there for a year and studied ... I've recently been working on a fellowship application so that I can renew the same foreign languages fellowship I have now for my second year of grad school.
This was posted "Thu Dec 16, 2004 1:17 pm" so age is less than 40, but over 35. As a result, it could be tough to get the necessary point totals.
chellovek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to make sure you're heaved out of the right vagina.
Fallacy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chellovek wrote:
You need to make sure you're heaved out of the right vagina.
Ha! That is funny. Certainly helps, for sure. Thanks for giving me a great laugh. Made my day.
chopstick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the KIIPS program essential to get citizenship if already on F5 and married to a Korean? If KIIPS is not essential then what kind of level of Korean does one need to pass the interview?
malaz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no updates since I submitted my application in July 2015.

I have been wondering about something I hope I can get some information regarding this issue.

I know that for a Korean national, working in a company for more than two years allows him to be a "Permanent employee" according to korean labour law.

I have been working for a company as a contract employee for 3 years. If I receive my citizenship, am I Eligible ,by law, to be a permanent employee? or do I have to work two years as a korean national first?
alongway

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

malaz wrote:
Still no updates since I submitted my application in July 2015.

I have been wondering about something I hope I can get some information regarding this issue.

I know that for a Korean national, working in a company for more than two years allows him to be a "Permanent employee" according to korean labour law.

I have been working for a company as a contract employee for 3 years. If I receive my citizenship, am I Eligible ,by law, to be a permanent employee? or do I have to work two years as a korean national first?

If the processing time hasn't changed too much you may expect your notice in the next 2-3 months. If you have kids. If not, 1 year+ more
malaz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have kids, but there is a minor update,

I heard from my professor(who provided a recommendation letter for me) that immigration office called him to ask about me. And they told him that I am accepted! However I have heard nothing from them.

I assume this means that they are are at the last stage of reviewing my profile and I should probably hear from them soon.

Do they contact by SMS or Mail these days? I've heard both cases and I worry that they've notified me with the result to my old address ! Don't wanna miss that one month registration deadline they give !
alongway

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will get the notification for the interview about 2-3 weeks before it actually happens. You might have been accepted at this point, but your interview date could still be a ways off, again no kids means back of the line for you.
malaz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished the KIIP program so no interview for me. I think It's now just a matter of acceptance/rejection.
Johnny31092

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

malaz wrote:
I finished the KIIP program so no interview for me. I think It's now just a matter of acceptance/rejection.

Good luck, any updates?
malaz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny31092 wrote:

Good luck, any updates?

Yep, I have received my approval letter in May.
There are only few steps after the letter to finalize everything, however I got stuck at one point which is the citizenship renunciation. Since I am not applying through marriage I have to renounce my original citizenship. And since my country does not allow renunciation, I had to provide proof from a lawyer about this issue. I submitted this document and I have been waiting for it to get approved, two months and still waiting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: