Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I drink therefore...I bloat!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scorpion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: I drink therefore...I bloat! Reply with quote

Anyone else bloat terribly after a night's drinking? If I drink both Friday and Saturday, on Sunday I look like I've swallowed a beachball. By Tuesday I'm back to normal again. The difference in my appearance in the mirror is quite amazing. How can beer make a person temporarily bloat so much? Is it the poor quality Korean beer I drink, or is that I'm just getting older?

Either way, it's annoying. Anyone else turn into a bloatasaurus after a night of boozing?
Harpeau

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheat can be very hard on our systems. Maybe drink wine or whisky and lay off the beer for a few weeks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Seoulman69

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wheat can be very hard on our systems. Maybe drink wine or whisky and lay off the beer for a few weeks.

Yeah, some beers have wheat, rice, and a whole lot of rubbish in them. Try to stick with better quality beer that only contains hops, malted barley, and water. If you feel bloated you may be drinking to much, or you may have some kind of allergy.
Try drinking less, but better quality beer.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the onset of male-pregnancy. Soon you'll be 2F2T (too fat to teach). Time to hit the gyms, I'm afraid. Very Happy
Dodge7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another expat drunk Rolling Eyes
northway

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodge7 wrote:

Says the former expat drunk. Rolling Eyes
Dodge7

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

northway wrote:
Dodge7 wrote:

Says the former expat drunk. Rolling Eyes

Well, it's the same as ex smokers to cringe at the smell of cigarette smoke, so I cringe at weekend alcoholics that takes 3 days to heal.
I'm NOT judging him though, he can drink all he wants.
Zackback

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: I drink therefore...I bloat! Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
Anyone else bloat terribly after a night's drinking? If I drink both Friday and Saturday, on Sunday I look like I've swallowed a beachball. By Tuesday I'm back to normal again. The difference in my appearance in the mirror is quite amazing. How can beer make a person temporarily bloat so much? Is it the poor quality Korean beer I drink, or is that I'm just getting older?

Either way, it's annoying. Anyone else turn into a bloatasaurus after a night of boozing?

Hey man listen up. That's your bodies warning sign that if you continue to do to it what you are doing that temporary paunchy belly will become a permanent one. If it doesn't matter then just tell the girls that there is more of you to love.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: I drink therefore...I bloat! Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:

Probably due to getting older. I know my metabolism slowed a fair amount after I passed 30, and definitely harder for me to get over hangovers these days. My drinking has significantly dropped in the past year or so, in part due to that.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're no longer in Korea, then it makes sense. Korea sucks the life out of you, so I never bloat while in country.
kimchipig

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: I drink therefore...I bloat! Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

Probably due to getting older. I know my metabolism slowed a fair amount after I passed 30, and definitely harder for me to get over hangovers these days. My drinking has significantly dropped in the past year or so, in part due to that.

My drinking reached truly Olympian proportions when I was in Korea as it is kind of encouraged. That said, if you are bloated by beer drinking, less of it would probably be the solution.

The day I left Korea was the day I stopped drinking. Don't miss it a bit.
ghostrider

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the carbon dioxide that causes the bloating.

"Beer causes stomach to bloat?True. Stomach bloating is caused by beer's carbon dioxide. To avoid bloating, drink from a beer mug. This is because carbon dioxide are released from the beer while being poured into the mug. In addition, observe the beer head. The finer the foam, the lesser is the carbon dioxide, thus lesser the bloat."
http://www.better-dining.com/beer-myth.html
ricochet

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers, fatties! LOL!! Laughing
Sector7G

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: I drink therefore...I bloat! Reply with quote

Zackback wrote:
Scorpion wrote:

Hey man listen up. That's your bodies warning sign that if you continue to do to it what you are doing that temporary paunchy belly will become a permanent one. .

Zackback is right, and it's not just because of the calories.

All alcoholic beverages have calories, but beer drinkers get hit with a double whammy, at least if they are drinking so much that they feel bloated. That's because the muscle that holds your stomach in(transverse abdominus (TVA)) weakens over time if not exercised. Young guys can bounce back quicker, but consistently drinking(or eating for that matter) so much that your stomach stretches out will eventually take its toll.

I stumbled upon this article 2 years ago when I was trying to get rid of my beer belly, and it has helped me immensely. It gives some easy exercises to help strengthen the TVA.

http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/articles-submit/adrian-bryant/mid-section-weight-loss.htm

"The reason why people have flat midsections is not because they have a
strong rectus abdominus (or ABS) but because they have a strong
transverse abdominus (TVA) Over the years a combination of you losing
strength in your TVA and a gain of fat around your midsection leads to
the pop belly or pooch effect."
bmaw01

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guinness is your friend. Very Happy

When I'm out I hate drinking Cass. It reminds me of Budweiser. Guinness has a ton of minerals as well, so I'm drinking a healthy beer. Keep it to two beers though. It can be a bit heavy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: