Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2013 seminar for foreign language institute instructors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbbboby

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:13 am    Post subject: 2013 seminar for foreign language institute instructors Reply with quote

Has anyone been told about this? It is being held at Anyang City Hall on June 29th.

Paper says "All foreign language instructors who have arrived in Gyeonggi. Korea based April 30, 2013. The following seminar is mandatory for the foreign language instructors in accordance the article 13 subsection 3 of the law governing academy foundation, management and extracurricular work." Participation fee: 10,000won

Is it normal to be charged for a government mandatory seminar?

Is this retroactive for teachers that have arrived before this time? I got here in 2008 and have not left country so considering the distance I would have to travel I would rather not go.

phone +82-31-8045-2114 number yet there was not an English speaking person that could answer questions. This makes me wonder .....
ttompatz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not required.
It is put on by the hagwon association (NOT the government).

You won't be fined.
You won't have visa issues.
It won't affect your registration with the MOE as a teacher.
It won't affect your ARC.

It is NOT mandatory. There are no repercussions for you if you do not attend.
Keep your Saturday to yourself.

Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please explain what this hakwon association is. Is it a type of cartel? Also, do all the small businesses here have similiar groupings? (Reason I had asked was seeing something a while back about one of these 'associations' talking about getting rid of flights.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
Please explain what this hakwon association is. Is it a type of cartel? Also, do all the small businesses here have similiar groupings? (Reason I had asked was seeing something a while back about one of these 'associations' talking about getting rid of flights.

Hagwon owners club... like the Chamber of Commerce but for hagwon owners.

Feel free to ignore them.

Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hagwon owners club... like the Chamber of Commerce but for hagwon owners.

Feel free to ignore them.

Lets surround the whole building with waygookins (hands linked) and singing 'we shall overcome' them!
axelf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO NOT GO TO THAT THING.

It is NOT a government event. If you need more evidence, do a search for "Gyeonggi Metropolitan Office of Education" (with quotes) on Google. You'll get only 6 RESULTS (or now maybe 7), one of which is the letter they sent out to foreign teachers recently. My boss gave me the letter a couple days ago.

A real government body is the Gyeonggi Provincial Office of Education (167,000 results on Google). And the word "Metropolitan" belongs in "Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education."

1) The hagwon association is trying to fool foreign teachers by pretending to be a government body. Lie #1.

2) They have worded their document as if foreign instructors are legally required to go. Lie #2.

3) They've already lied to you two times. Any legal information you hear at the meeting will likely be distorted and false. I'm sure many hagwon owners (you know, the people who are the members of the hagwon association) would like their teachers to think that the owners have the teachers by the balls. That way the owners can get away with more crap.

4) Your boss' involvement with the hogwan association is not your responsibility, so if your boss pressures you to go, tell him/her to f*** off. The more your boss pressures you to go, the more of a scumbag he/she probably is.

DO NOT GO.
TDC troll

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that if your school is a member of that association , your director
will definitely want you to go .

Do what you want it's your job .
Porksta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is article 13 subsection 3 of the law governing academy foundation?
axelf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TDC troll wrote:
I think that if your school is a member of that association , your director
will definitely want you to go .

Do what you want it's your job .

Are you a hagwon owner, by any chance?

The meeting is a scam, and if anyone gets fired over refusing to attend, I'm sure the labor board would be of help.

Unfortunately many people don't realize that if they stand up for themselves, they are LESS likely to get screwed by their bosses. I have a feeling the hagwon owners are sort of testing their workers with this scam. For the good of the industry, I hope everyone stands up for themselves and refuses to attend.

Last edited by axelf on Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:55 am; edited 2 times in total
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Porksta wrote:

ACT ON THE ESTABLISHMENT AND OPERATION OF PRIVATE TEACHING INSTITUTES AND EXTRACURRICULAR LESSONS

Article 13 (Instructors, etc.)

(3) The Superintendent of the Office of Education may, if necessary, establish and implement programs for training founders, operators and instructors of private teaching institutes to improve their quality as persons in charge of social education in accordance with the conditions as prescribed by Presidential Decree.
axelf

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyDaegu wrote:
Porksta wrote:

(3) The Superintendent of the Office of Education may, if necessary, establish and implement programs for training founders, operators and instructors of private teaching institutes to improve their quality as persons in charge of social education in accordance with the conditions as prescribed by Presidential Decree.

But the Gyeonggi Metropolitan Office of Education isn't an office of education. It's a name being used by the hagwon association to try to pretend it's a government body.

The whole thing is a scam.
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. And the presidential decree part is missing from the Enforcement Act, so there's a hole there.

My friend with an art school has had this invoked on her before. All the art owners were required to go to training in her city. Only the owners, though, which makes sense when you read the law.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are a foreign teacher, there is nothing in the law or any requirement by the government board of education requiring you to attend one of these meetings. It's nothing more than a front/scam put up by the Hogwon Association. Sure, they would love to have 4000 teachers show up and pay 10.000 won each to attend their event.
wooden nickels

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hogwon Association is nothing more than a PEE WEE's treehouse club. It basically serves no purpose other than face value. It collects some fees from those who unknowingly believe they are under some obligation to participate.
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooden nickels wrote:
The Hogwon Association is nothing more than a PEE WEE's treehouse club. It basically serves no purpose other than face value. It collects some fees from those who unknowingly believe they are under some obligation to participate.

I'd guess the main purpose is legislative lobbying against fee limits and things like that. There's a proposal now to ban all private kindies, i.e. setting a minimum hagwon student age. So those owners are probably turning to the Hagwon Association to get it stopped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: