Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!!! Going to Bangkok
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atina

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Help!!! Going to Bangkok Reply with quote

Going to Bangkok for a Visa run- I know nothing about this place- I have never been there- what do I need to know??? Shocked Shocked Shocked
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will probably get twisted drunk if you go to the "foreigners" area...I forget the name.

Otherwise, I have nothing useful to say, except that you'll be taking one hell of a cheap taxi from the airport into Bangkok.
elmer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
Not quite sure what zyzy means about the cheap taxi....Just beware of the money-mongers. As soon as you enter into the airport (outside of the customs area) you will get baraged by people wanting you to take their deals...taxi/hotel/whatever package...Just bypass them all and go outside and get a taxi and make sure you get a "meter" taxi. Just say "meter" and they should agree with you.

Once you are out and about this kind of harassment won't end. Taxi drivers (even the tuk-tuk dudes) will try to take you to some souvenir place or "attraction". Just say you don't want to go there, and if they insist, get another taxi. I had to do this at least once when I was there.

Do check out the temples in the main "downtown area". They are very cool (side note-- girls must wear long skirts and no open toes, although they will provide clothes for you if you need-which I did). Take a river boat trip, also cool. Shouldn't be more than $10 US...I think...can't remember how much I paid, but the 1st guy who asked me if I wanted to take a trip tried to get about 5 times what I eventually paid. Haggle, or wait for the next guy to come around. There's always another guy...

Others may comment about Patpong and the main foreigner strip. Never ventured there myself, so I have no comment.

Have fun. Bangkok is cool, but I personally think a couple of days are enough in that hot, humid, dirty and money-hungry city...

All this is pretty basic stuff. If you read up on the net a little you can get more details...

Oh, the embassies are all in about the same area, which is where I stayed. Can't think of the name, but let me know if you need a place to stay. Nicer hotel, AC, security, but expensive as far as Bangkok goes..maybe $60 or $80US
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elmer wrote:
Hey,
Not quite sure what zyzy means about the cheap taxi....

Location, location, location!

elmer knows more than me, but I didn't do a VISA run. I just visited Bangkok for a few days. With an Irishman. Which explains the drinking binge....-_-
J.B. Clamence

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in Korea yet (will be by this time next week) -- How easy is it to find Lonely Planet travel guidebooks in Korea? I figured it should be easy to find the Lonely Planet for Korea, but what about other Asian countries? That would really be your best bet for Bangkok. I plan on going there for a trip too, and I've already got the LP city map. If you can't find travel books and maps, order them from amazon.com (that is, if you have some time yet before you leave to wait for your order).
rasta man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't of picked a better place for a visa run. Bangkok is incredible, you definitely need to spend more than 1 nite in Bangkok, as it does make the hard man humble Smile (OK for a lifetime supply of OB who sang that, what play was it in and what was the year?)

couple of tips:
somebody said avoid the touts and just say "meter" DEAD RIGHT!!!!!!!!! to Banglamphu (near Ko San Rd) meter should be around 300 bhat, last time it used a tout and the fare was 600 (yeah stupid me)

Get the embassy to fax you a map to your hotel, the embassy is out in the sticks, if you stay near Ko San somebody may be heading out there with you. See if the taxi will stick around since getting one back is a pain. The embassy is pretty cool overnight service, fee were like 1600 bhat for a multiple and 2000 for single entry

Ko San is an OK place to stay just a little too noisy for me my preference is the New World Lodge in Banglamphu 500-800 bhat nite for a nice quiet room with a/c. They have a website. Its 10 minutes to Ko San and all the resturants/bars/shops wildest people watching in Thailand next to the beaches on ko Pha Ngan. Also close to the Grand Palace and all the big temples

HTH

PS to the person who asked about LP books in Korea. Kyobo has all of them I don't like their prices, cheaper to order on Amazon and have them shipped
captain kirk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first time i went to thailand was for a month last year to brainwash myself out of thinking about the heated wrap-up of a korean job i'd just left; it worked! when you get to bangkok there's a tourist info booth in the airport and which will direct you to the taxi stall. the taxi is not cheap by thai standards, but it'll get you to the foreigner area, khao san road. pronounced 'cow san'. that can be your base; lots of cheap rooms there and the area is dedicated to helping thrifty backpackers spend. there is a tourist info kiosk at one end of the street, beside the cop shop). when you want to get back to the airport; as with minibus rides and tours found along the street's little 'tour offices'(very informal, like stalls in a bazaar) the ride to the airport is competitively priced, ask around the booths. it'll be a HURTLING minibus full of backpackers with the luggage on the roof, and WAY less than the taxi ride aiport to khao san(the minibus driver on that hurtling ride was a champion with very little braking and constant strategic acceleration). if you want to get to the embassy for the visa then a 'meter taxi' (says so with a sign on the roof) is the way to go. the tuk tuk (motorbike with a 'sofa' welded to the back under an awning) drivers will demand a price beforehand which will be exhoribant, unless it's a downtown tour (more about this below). but when not going anywhere important, like the embassy (when you're taking no chances) they are a breezy trip to tear around in for a little more than the meter taxi if you bargain. when i got there i knew nothing. i'd be at a temple and a guy would approach me who said he was from america (though a thai) or his brother was a lawyer in london or something......and that thai students abroad need money to study but because the thai currency has little clout overseas the government allows students to take out of thailand jewelery to resell and make a profit.as well, the king of thailand for a short period in the year, say this week (you are so lucky, sir!) allows all thais and all foreigners to buy jewellery for resale at a profit once outside of thailand. why he (and his london lawyer brother) don't miss this yearly one week opportunity! of course the tuk tuk driver, on the loop tour of downtown temples, would get a comission from the 'devout visitor at the temple' con man when i got into the tuk tuk and took him up on the ride to the gov't sponsored/approved jewellery expo. i actually went to one of these shops to get a gas coupon(see below) as part of the tuk tuk tour (where the tuk tuk waits while you spend fifteen minutes at a temple, and on to the next). the lady explained the deal, how a 100percent profit can be made, and showed me the list of their agents overseas in my country where i could resell the jewels, it was that easy!
this happened THREE TIMES the first day. including tuk tuk drivers who say there is a big government expo/trade fair where bargains can be had, and just by taking you there they get a coupon for 10 litres of gas for their tuk tuk. was taken to a suit shop, even though i didn't want a suit, as part of the bargain for a loop around certain downtown temples/buddhist monuments. in the suit shop i went in the door and asked for a gas coupon for the driver and was told NOT.however, in all this the ride was cheap because i paid the cheap price and didn't bite the hook on the carefully set up 'opportunities', which caused the tuk tuk drivers to hiss off swearing. the tuk tuk drivers are friggin pirates, aggressive and full of holes in their stories. you'll be hawked on cowsan road and hear their loud barking, the scurvy dogs. I'm going on about an unpleasant aspect of INCREDIBLY pleasant thailand and bankok because my first day i had no idea what was going on when there was beacoup goings on, and me a deer in the headlights. heightened senses that first day, the cons came on like a souped up mardi gras. high turnover of tourists, low national income (besides tourists). enjoy your poker in the sun! (by the way, kao san the bars are open all night and folks drink beer for breakfast on the streets verandahs. in the calm of the morning you'll hear tropical birds and this downtown. second hand bookstores abound. big variety. you can pick some up to bring home to korea.

Last edited by captain kirk on Mon Feb 17, 2003 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harpeau

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wat Pho (Temple) is the best place for a Thai massage. They also do your lower leg and foot. Nothing beats it! It's a massage school and I highly recommend it!

Ko Samet is a nice spot to catch some rays. Have a great time!
Harpeau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
dogbert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rasta man wrote:
Couldn't of picked a better place for a visa run. Bangkok is incredible, you definitely need to spend more than 1 nite in Bangkok, as it does make the hard man humble Smile (OK for a lifetime supply of OB who sang that, what play was it in and what was the year?)

Murray Head, "Chess", 1984
jajdude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the airport you can take a bus to the main Sukhumvit area for 110 baht, if I recall correctly from six months ago, stop near Siam or Nana skytrain stations. A hotel is less that 1000 baht normally, unless you want to pay more. I stayed at one for 750 last time there, I believe it had the word "world" in it and was on 7 and a half Suhkumvit. Anyway it was fine and in the heart of the craziness. Love that place but not for more than a few days.
Zyzyfer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick note: Kyobo Bookstore has the Lonely Planet book for Thailand(might be available only within a "Southeast Asia" book, but it's good enough), and the book was around 30,000 won, give or take a few thousand.
rasta man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dogbert wrote:
rasta man wrote:

Murray Head, "Chess", 1984

right! now for the bonus prize: what was Murray Head known for before this?
canukteacher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bangkok is great for a few days. If you fly Thai air, and book hotel through Royal Orchid Holidays you save some money. I recommend you to directly to Thai Airlines to do this. They have an office in Seoul. They are hard to get a hold of on the phone. Going in person is much better.

I stayed at the Jade Pavillion or Sukhumvit, and I think it worked out to 30.00 a night. That included a great modern room, and buffet breakfast. It was also close to the Skytrain......a fantastic way to get around the city.

If you want more info........pm me.

CT
dogbert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
right! now for the bonus prize: what was Murray Head known for before this?

Being Andre Kim's love muppet?
gajackson1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend close to a month in Thai every year - good friends there; am contemplating a move in the not-distant future.

Do not take the taxi - not even the government 'approved' ones.

Take the tourist bus directly from the airport. i think it is still about 100 baht; a taxi could easily run you 5-10 times that much!!!

For accommodations, you basically have 2 'choices' - either the Khao san road area (Backpacker Heaven, or HEII, depending on your mindset), or the Sukhumvit Road area. Hotels are generally nicer is SR (and Anil has his guesthouse there, which is a funky little self-contained oasis), but it is in the HEART of the prostitution area.

Anywhere close to the SkyTrain area is good, as it is cheap, easy to use access to most of the city.

Get a decent hotel, check out the night markets, hit sum buffets, buy some crap, and drink a hella lot of Thai whiskey and Chang beer!!!

*SIGH!* Take me with you! (I shouldn't complain; I'll probably head that way for R&R in April)

Regards,

G.

Final note!!! _ Most of this advice is from guys; girls tend to have a VERY different opinion of Bangkok proper. Talk more to them!!! Maybe, post on the LP board.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> FAQ All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: