Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opting out of the apartment and charges
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
runclimb360

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:48 am    Post subject: Opting out of the apartment and charges Reply with quote

I think that my hagwon keeps the same apartments for its foreigners for years. I thought that it would be nice if I could find a different way to live so I can save more money. I'm researching some options like volunteering at a hostel in Seoul (I live in a medium sized, boring city 1hr away) or asking if my Korean friends have room that's free.

Would my hagwon not give me money to not take the apartment? Because it seems like if they did and then I left, they would have to go through the trouble of finding another place for the next teacher. What do you think? I should ask.

My charges (internet, "maintenance", gas, electricity) add up to 100k. Is this normal? If I said that I don't want internet access, would they drop it? I make 2.1, but after deductions and tax it's 1.9 mid. No pension or health insurance either. Should I just be thankful for what I'm getting? I'm probably working too much compared to other people. Basically I'm working 30 hours a week and then probably 35 if grading and lesson planning are added.

I'm not very far in and I'm wondering if I'd enjoy myself more in SEA. I'm pretty familiar with VN and I speak the language from having studied it a little at university. I was just there before on vacation though. I don't know what it would be like to live there. I've thought about waiting until I get to the six month mark and then leaving.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One way of thinking about your predicament is: who are you and where you are at in this society. As for who you are: I don't know. As for where you are at: by the wage scale, you are an imported labourer. They can get another like you without raising a sweat, yes even in this steam bath. So, how important do you think you are? How much #highmaintanance do you think you can sqeeze out before you're an #expendable?
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

100k sounds about right. It would be relatively easy for them to replace you. Up to you, really. Your salary is on the lower end of the scale, too.
runclimb360

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. Good points. Another thing that is sort of irritating to me is that I'm pretty sure that somebody has been inside my apartment. I just noticed that the door to my bathroom has been repaired. It used to not shut properly. Also before, I noticed that the food strainer in my sink was emptied, but I thought that I was just imagining.
maximmm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get ready for the winter/summer sessions when you'll have to pay 300K a month for the utilities^^
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

runclimb360 wrote:
Ok. Good points. Another thing that is sort of irritating to me is that I'm pretty sure that somebody has been inside my apartment. I just noticed that the door to my bathroom has been repaired. It used to not shut properly. Also before, I noticed that the food strainer in my sink was emptied, but I thought that I was just imagining.

Best advice son is to change the locks secretly without telling either the boss or hakwon owner. do that up ASAP. get er done, boy! Never surrender teh keys until you surrender the job.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your pay is 2.1, but you only take home 1.9 with no pension or insurance? They are taking you for a ride. I would just find another job if you can. I lived in an apartment my first year and the heating charge in that place was communal. So I had no choice of paying almost 150k extra for heat I didn't want to use. My total bill was something like 279k. During the summer though it was always around 79k.

Like the above poster said, change those locks or get someone to help you change it.
face32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you not getting pension and health insurance? Those are both required by law if you have an E-2 Visa. Why did you take this job?
runclimb360

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why are you not getting pension and health insurance? Those are both required by law if you have an E-2 Visa. Why did you take this job?

I guess I thought that this is how hagwons work. The other foreigners at my place have the same deal. They make .1 more though. Maybe it pays to be more patient when looking for jobs.

I didn't exactly choose to be at this place. I was originally at a hagwon in a smaller city, but after a month they said enrollment was low and they found this job for me. The plus side is that this new place has a few climbing gyms and through this I've gotten to see a lot and climb a bunch. And my new climbing friends have gotten me good deals at gear shops. Maybe for that it's worth it, but I don't know.

I've been given some contacts in Hanoi recently. I'll ask them what it's like to work there. Maybe it's not worth it to leave at six months. But maybe it would be if I can go someplace nice during the winter. It would be like losing out on $3000. I want to be in Asia until July and I'm finished at this place in April. Thanks for your thoughts. I should have posted about things before I came over.
face32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least you are having a good experience! Sounds like you and your co-workers should have done a little more research before you accepted the job with no pension and no health insurance. 2.1 is pretty standard for a 1st time teacher though.

I don't really know what your boss is like, but since it is a legal issue you could try to get the pension owed to you, as well as the health insurance. Not sure how well that is going to go over with your boss though.

SO you get 1.9 after deductions, but you get no health and no pension...are they automatically taking out the utilities from your apartment? If not, then what are these deductions?
runclimb360

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that I've now worked for two of the schools that on this board they say you should never work for. And while everything has been reliable, I would agree with these sentiments. I also think that it's best to avoid teaching kindergarten. I guess I was too optimistic when I came over.
face32

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindergarten is not for everyone. I personally love Kindy kids and hate working with older kids. I'm not really sure why everyone hates it so much on these boards.
runclimb360

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

face32 wrote:

SO you get 1.9 after deductions, but you get no health and no pension...are they automatically taking out the utilities from your apartment? If not, then what are these deductions?

Yes. They're automatically taking out the utilities. I don't think talking about the pension or health insurance would go over well with the boss. I'm guessing. The last foreign teacher got them in his second year, but he was good with the students.

As a teacher, I'm so so. So maybe in my mind I'm thinking that if they think that they're getting a good deal out of me, I'll just not stress out too much about the teaching. Maybe I'll make the same total in 13 months that I would have made in 12 months if I had stayed at my original school.
NYC_Gal 2.0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you climb with no health insurance. Good idea. A girl did that a year or two ago, fell, then was begging others for money to help pay for her hospital bill.
hogwonguy1979

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people need to STOP TAKING JOBS THAT DONT PAY PENSION OR HEALTH INSURANCE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

schools are only ripping you off by this 2.1 and no pension/health insurance is slave wages, god forbid if you actually get sick here or get into an accident

I'm starting to get sick of seeing all these fundraisers for people who take these jobs and wind up in a hospital etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: