Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to Bring Galaxy S3 to Canada for Vacation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
holland

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: How to Bring Galaxy S3 to Canada for Vacation Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

I am heading to Canada for the summer and want to bring my Galaxy S3. I tried to search other posts but the search results wouldn't load, so I apologize if this is a duplicate.

I think that I need to 'unlock' it (with directions found online) and then get a sim card from Rogers (or Telus) once I'm in Canada. Is this correct? How does it work with my LG phone bill here, will the charges just be the regular phone +plan? Do I then just switch back to Korean sim card on my return? What are the consequences for 'unlocking' your phone?

I only use the basic functions of my phone and am not familiar with 'lingo' so you will need to speak to me like I'm Amish Wink.

Thanks in advance for your help!
b-class rambler

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to Bring Galaxy S3 to Canada for Vacation Reply with quote

holland wrote:

I think that I need to 'unlock' it

Actually, you very probably don't need to unlock it.

Pretty much all Android phones in Korea come unlocked. Certainly on SK and KT, they do. Not completely sure about LG U+ - I believe they may have originally had a policy of locking their phones but I don't think they have done for some time and the S3 is not that old a phone.

As regards your other questions - yes and yes. Yes, it'll be just your normal phone plan charges for that month. It would be as if you'd just switched off the phone for however long you were away. And yes, you just switch back to your Korean SIM on return.

Bear in mind that some apps might not work as they did with the new Canadian number your phone will have when you're away. For example, if you use Kakao, you would need to set up a new account based on the Canadian number. Alternatively, I think you could probably stick to your Korean Kakao account if you only used it in Canada via wi-fi.
holland

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your help b-class rambler!
furtakk

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LG doesn't use SIM cards, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to bring it home with you.

KT allows you to pause your account for a period of time and continue billing at a later date. LG may have something similar.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really need to make calls while you are there using it?
If not, put it in airplane mode and turn the wifi back on. You can use available wifi for any apps and not worry about any roaming charges. Nice and easy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: