Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contractual question about working hours (public schools)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:40 am    Post subject: Contractual question about working hours (public schools) Reply with quote

I had a quick question regarding working hours in the public school.

My contract says that I shall work (Cool hours per day for five (5) calender days. Considering I get off at 5, that would mean my time would start at 9 right? I always show up at 8:40, but I have a co-teacher having a pissy fit all of a sudden because I'm not showing up at 8:30 as she is. Considering all our lessons are planned the afternoon before, I'm not seeing what the problem is all of a sudden. All I do is sit in front of a computer for 20 minutes anyway. I've looked over the work hours section of the contract, but I'm failing to see what I'm doing wrong if anything.

Can anybody clarify for me if I am, please?
Who's Your Daddy?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably nothing wrong contractually. My PS contract states I must arrive 30 min before 1st period, my first period starts 9:10, so that means 8:40. Previous contracts did not have that stipulation and still it was 8:40 because that was the start time set by the principal for teachers to be there.

So contractually you probably have no problem, but check to see the principal's rule.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

9 to 5 if you get a paid lunch break.
8:00 to 5 if you get an unpaid lunch break (8 working hours per day).
(typical school days (staff working hours) are 8:30-4:30)

Don't worry about the co-teacher getting "pissy" over 10 minutes but just remember that is also her recommendation (or lack thereof) that will largely decide your fate when it comes renewal time.

Ranman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
9 to 5 if you get a paid lunch break.
8:00 to 5 if you get an unpaid lunch break (8 working hours per day).
(typical school days (staff working hours) are 8:30-4:30)

Don't worry about the co-teacher getting "pissy" over 10 minutes but just remember that is also her recommendation (or lack thereof) that will largely decide your fate when it comes renewal time.

That's not a problem, considering I have no desire to re-sign.

Thank you for the info!
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but I have a co-teacher having a pissy fit all of a sudden

How far are you in your contract period?

Co-teacher relationships are kind of important, especially if they are actually co-teaching with you in the classroom.

I don't know your situation, can you do your job without needing her? Is there a head English teacher you can go to in order to satisfy your contractual needs and release letters to go to another school?
Ranman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YTMND wrote:
Quote:

Co-teacher relationships are kind of important, especially if they are actually co-teaching with you in the classroom.

I don't know your situation, can you do your job without needing her? Is there a head English teacher you can go to in order to satisfy your contractual needs and release letters to go to another school?

7 months in.

And yes, I can do my job without her. Like I said before, I have no desire to teach further here after this year.
Lucas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
YTMND wrote:
Quote:

7 months in.

And yes, I can do my job without her. Like I said before, I have no desire to teach further here after this year.

But you may well need a reference from her (the school) for your future job, whether it be in Korea or your home country........

Unless you are having to catch a bus to school (and coming in an extra 10 mins early) means you have to get another bus, just do it!

It's only 10 mins!
jeremydc808

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you seriously fighting 10 minutes? I Need to be in school by 8:40 am but always show up 15-20 minutes early. Sure I have to wake up early but as least I don't have the issue of a bitchy Co-teacher.
YTMND

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could come 10 minutes earlier and try leaving 10 minutes earlier at the end of the day. When she tells you to wait 10 more minutes, come 10 minutes later in the morning. See how long it takes until she catches on Laughing

Foreign Teacher: Why do you tell me one day to wait 10 minutes, and then come early 10 minutes the next?

Korean Teacher: You must arrive when I arrive, and you must leave when I leave.

Foreign Teacher: I think you like me. Shall we have dinner after work? Wink

Korean Teacher: Shocked No I don't, come whenever you want then.

Then, again, maybe she does in fact like you and that is why she is doing this. Only you know, but if she doesn't like you and you make her feel a little uncomfortable she is more like to leave you alone for the rest of the year regardless of a release/recommendation letter.
Porksta

PostPosted: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, post pics please!
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:29 am    Post subject: Public School Hours. Reply with quote

I work in 3 high schools. The main high school (3 days a week) tends to want me to be there 8:30 to 5. And I do it. Another school I go to has sometimes told me not to come on Friday if there are no classes and nothing to do. I do sometimes get away early. But I am usually at school around 8:30 or before. I get some leeway.

My schools are okay. But I am occasionally heard of schools wanting people to do summer camps right through the holidays, or to do overtime classes AFTER 5P.M.
bE THANKFUL YOU ARE NOT IN ONE OF THOSE SCHOOLS!
schwa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing will get you sunk faster than dickering over 10 minutes in a public school. You'll earn zero sympathy from anyone.
Ranman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

schwa wrote:
Nothing will get you sunk faster than dickering over 10 minutes in a public school. You'll earn zero sympathy from anyone.

Never said I wanted sympathy, and it's not be dickering about the 10 minutes; it's my co-teacher. I've been doing it since I've got here and it's only become a problem with her recently. As I've said before, nothing goes on during this period of time regardless.

I get along fine with her outside of that. I do everything else that I'm asked to contractually and do more than asked in the classroom. I just know that when you give someone an inch, they tend to take a mile. Not playing that game.
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I just know that when you give someone an inch, they tend to take a mile. Not playing that game.

I my experience of Korea, (generally) whenever I 'give an inch' I usually get the same back (if not more) further down the road, without asking for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: