Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Saying "freshman" is sexist...don't say it.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Catman, do you know what a neo-con is? Because you don't sound like you do.

They don't really care about domestic policies, and generally are in agreement with Dems on social causes (such as abortion, immigration, etc). They're all about foreign policy.

No one would claim Palin, Bachmann, and Santorum are neo-cons... Well except those who don't know any better (no, not saying you're one of them)...
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

That's a bit unfair. To counterbalance, I'd like to see anywhere that Rove and Wolfowitz "seethed" at their Christian compadres.

A quick google looks like:
Quote:

Jul 4, 2008 - Karl Rove used a speech on Friday before a prominent anti-abortion group to attack Senator Barack Obama for his abortion rights positions

Quote:
Feb 10, 2012 - Karl Rove did his best to shamelessly conflate the morning after pill, which is emergency contraception to prevent pregnancy,

Wolfie performs better. He sticks to the global. I still don't see any contempt displayed for the Christian right.

And, just as an absurdity check, does this thread not currently feature Titus, some fascinating vein of right winger, trying to write off the post-2000 neo-cons as leftists?

Read a lot of books, has he?

Make sure you have a window seat on your flight to Tralfamadore.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when was Karl Rove considered a neo-con?? A republican in support of an aggressive foreign policy doesn't automatically mean a neo-con.
catman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:

They don't really care about domestic policies, and generally are in agreement with Dems on social causes (such as abortion, immigration, etc). They're all about foreign policy.

No one would claim Palin, Bachmann, and Santorum are neo-cons... Well except those who don't know any better (no, not saying you're one of them)...

Well I've already shown that they have supported the Christian right on social causes. Unless you don't consider Bush and his cabinet to be neo-cons.
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

Well I've already shown that they have supported the Christian right on social causes. Unless you don't consider Bush and his cabinet to be neo-cons.

Wolfowitz, Bolton, Richard Pearle. There are a couple others whose names escape me. None of them were in cabinet positions, but certainly had influence in the Bush WH. Rumsfeld was certainly sympathetic to neo-cons and it fit his agenda. He was neutral on social causes.

And sorry, where did you show they supported the Christian right on social causes? I just re-read this thread and didn't see anything.
catman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
catman wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

Wolfowitz, Bolton, Richard Pearle. There are a couple others whose names escape me. None of them were in cabinet positions, but certainly had influence in the Bush WH. Rumsfeld was certainly sympathetic to neo-cons and it fit his agenda. He was neutral on social causes.

And sorry, where did you show they supported the Christian right on social causes? I just re-read this thread and didn't see anything.

Well first do you consider President Bush and the cabinet to be neo-cons?
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

catman wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
catman wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

Nope. But other advisors (such as the ones mentioned above) were.
catman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
catman wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:
catman wrote:
bucheon bum wrote:

Nope. But other advisors (such as the ones mentioned above) were.

What definition are you using to define a neo-conservative?
stilicho25

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neoconservatism
bucheon bum

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stilicho25 wrote:

Yep, that's a good summary.
Nowhere Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

Ok, I give. Rove is not a neo-con.

Now, though, we have this pap:
Quote:

1) They have not supported a single policy goal of Christians and 2) Christians are dumb enough to support wars for Israel. Contempt for Christians seethes from neo-con writing.

This, among other things, gets shot down, and our boy just takes off to other threads?

Weak.
GF

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I understood it, 'freshmen' was used for 1st year male students, while 'fresh meat' was used for the other kind. Each sex having it's own monicker, I fail to see what is so sexist.
catman

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bucheon bum wrote:
stilicho25 wrote:

Yep, that's a good summary.

They have both Cheney and Bush listed as neo-conservative politicians.
stilicho25

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You left out the caveat "numerous necon advisors" and the section that talked about Bush's initial hostility to the movement before 9/11.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're MIC lobbyists and had interests that aligned with ideological neo-cons. Neo-cons are primarly, if not solely, concerned with Israel and global capital flows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: