Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Manila Airport Layover; Sleep in Hotel or Airport

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnsanAnswers

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:36 pm    Post subject: Manila Airport Layover; Sleep in Hotel or Airport Reply with quote

My wife and I have about a 12-hour layover at the Manila airport from 12 midnight to 12 noon before we fly to an island up north. We're on a real tight budget for our trip so we're open to just hanging out in the airport until our next flight, but have heard mixed reviews about the safety/legitimacy of hanging out inside the airport. Especially since we'll arrive on an international flight, collect our bags, but then need to wait for a domestic flight.

Does anyone have any experience crashing in the Manila airport? Would you recommend it?

If not, can anyone recommend a cheap, but somewhat clean hotel close to the airport?

Thanks in advance for the help.
schwa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done it. It was okay. There are ample (hard) benches inside & out & other people that settle in for the night, no hassles. I used my pack as a pillow & slept some but I wouldnt leave a bag just sitting. Not much open through the night (a couple food stalls) but everything else opens up again pretty early.
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Manila Airport Layover; Sleep in Hotel or Airport Reply with quote

AnsanAnswers wrote:
My wife and I have about a 12-hour layover at the Manila airport from 12 midnight to 12 noon before we fly to an island up north. We're on a real tight budget for our trip so we're open to just hanging out in the airport until our next flight, but have heard mixed reviews about the safety/legitimacy of hanging out inside the airport. Especially since we'll arrive on an international flight, collect our bags, but then need to wait for a domestic flight.

Does anyone have any experience crashing in the Manila airport? Would you recommend it?

If not, can anyone recommend a cheap, but somewhat clean hotel close to the airport?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Depends on what terminal you are flying into (NAIA 1, 2 or 3) and what terminal you are flying out of.

The Domestic terminal is CLOSED at NAIA 2 overnight. You'll be outside on the benches with the bugs.

NAIA 3 has the main lobby open but there are no chairs or benches.

I haven't been into terminal 1 for a long time. It was crap a decade ago and they haven't done any improvements or upgrades since then.

AnsanAnswers

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice! The last thing we want to do is start our vacation exhausted because we were up all night sleeping with one eye open or getting eaten alive by mosquitoes.

I found a hotel that's close by, reasonably priced and seems to be a lot cleaner than most. Here's their info on Agoda if any anyone ever needs it:

http://www.agoda.com/asia/philippines/manila/isabelle_garden_hotel_and_suites.html
wishfullthinkng

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i may sound like a broken record but all of the NAIA terminals would be awful for sleeping in. like very very awful. only worse international terminal to sleep in that i can think of is LCC in kuala lumpur.
Yaya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A cheap but good hotel I often use is Hotel Durban in Makati, which is a far better area than most in Metro Manila.

hoteldurban.net
watergirl

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi so I unexpectedly can have this week off after all.
Am considering where to go -
Q - so, is I go to alona beach and Cebu, is that area considered safe, ie, not advised against travelling like some of the areas in the south. Apparently, there is a travel advisory warning, and I am very uninformed about the news in that area.

Also, considering going to Jeju-do, have never been.
I understand the weather won't be good. but any suggestions on what part to stay in and guest houses , not too expensive but near the water???
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

watergirl wrote:
hi so I unexpectedly can have this week off after all.
Am considering where to go -
Q - so, is I go to alona beach and Cebu, is that area considered safe, ie, not advised against travelling like some of the areas in the south. Apparently, there is a travel advisory warning, and I am very uninformed about the news in that area.

Also, considering going to Jeju-do, have never been.
I understand the weather won't be good. but any suggestions on what part to stay in and guest houses , not too expensive but near the water???

Cebu and Bohol (alona beach) are not the South. They are in the central (Visayas) region and are as safe as anywhere else (probably safer than Luzon or Mindanao) in the country. They are about 1000km away from the trouble areas in SW Mindanao.

You can also expect better weather in the Visayas. It is below (south of) the typhoon belt. You may get afternoon showers but would need incredibly bad luck to get an all-day rainstorm.

passport220

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used Sogo Hotel near the airport, something of a "Love Hotel" chain, you can book a basic room for 12 hours, for about 985 pesos (little over $22usd). Nothing special however, I have found them to be clean enough, free WiFi, clean sheets and towels. Good for a short stay and nothing more.

Taxi will cost about 120 pesos (little less than $3usd) to/from the airport each way.

Sogo Hotel near airport with fast food and other stuff close by: http://hotelsogo.com/branch/pasay_rotonda.html (tell taxi driver "SoGo, Taft Ave. & EDSA")
-----------------------
If Sogo is full, you can also try Winston Lodge, about 300 meters away, same side of the street (past Jollibee). I never stayed there but others say it is ok for a short stay: http://wikimapia.org/571618/Winston-Lodge (click pic on page for prices)
passport220

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

passport220 wrote:
I have used Sogo Hotel near the airport, something of a "Love Hotel" chain, you can book a basic room for 12 hours, for about 985 pesos (little over $22usd). Nothing special however, I have found them to be clean enough, free WiFi, clean sheets and towels. Good for a short stay and nothing more.

Taxi will cost about 120 pesos (little less than $3usd) to/from the airport each way.

Sogo Hotel near airport with fast food and other stuff close by: http://hotelsogo.com/branch/pasay_rotonda.html (tell taxi driver "SoGo, Taft Ave. & EDSA")
-----------------------
If Sogo is full, you can also try Winston Lodge, about 300 meters away, same side of the street (past Jollibee). I never stayed there but others say it is ok for a short stay: http://wikimapia.org/571618/Winston-Lodge (click pic on page for prices)
Old post but I guess people still need to stay near the Manila airport sometimes, right.

As an update, I did stay the Winston Lodge I mentioned in the post. I liked it better than Sogo for about the same price. You can find both Winston and Sogo on Agoda for full 24 hour stays. Do a walk up and pay cash for shorter stays.

[img]http://img137.imagevenue.com/aAfkjfp01fo1i-18263/loc483/938965311_44_big_122_483lo.jpg[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Travel Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: