Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korean and English contracts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: Korean and English contracts Reply with quote

According to what I have read on this board, you need to sign both a Korean and English contract when you work here. Yet I have worked at three hakwons and have never even seen a Korean contract, let alone signed one. So what gives? Does the boss just forge your signature? The only contracts I've ever signed were in English. If anyone knows, I'd appreciate some info.
Crazy Oz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My last ones have been in both English and Korean, that way at least you have a chance of knowing what is on the document. Makes the damn things a few pages longer but at least you have it all in one document, and anything untoward you can spot straight away and change in English at least.

Still crazy, still here.
Rand Al Thor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key is to have a clause in the English version that it takes precedent over the Korean one if/when it comes time for arbitration. I've had that in every contract so far.

Actually my current job doesn't even use Korean contracts.
Lost Seoul

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2003 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rand Al Thor wrote:
The key is to have a clause in the English version that it takes precedent over the Korean one if/when it comes time for arbitration. I've had that in every contract so far.

Actually my current job doesn't even use Korean contracts.

Rand,

The following info may be of interest to you

====================
http://englishschoolwatch.org/contract.shtml

1. The contract should have contained language stating that without a duplicate of the English language contract written in Korean the contract written in English is void. A duplicate contract written in Korean is required by the Korean court to prosecute commercial disputes between the employee and employer. The U.S. Embassy in Seoul cautions: "...remember that only the Korean-language version of the contract is legally binding in Korea."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: