Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW TO COLLECT PENSION AT AIRPORT & RETURN NEXT DAY
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: HOW TO COLLECT PENSION AT AIRPORT & RETURN NEXT DAY Reply with quote

This is mainly for people who plan to stay in KOREA but need/want their cash! I hope this post helps someone. I did this in July!

Many rumors keep circulating amongst discussion boards and local expat hang-outs about NOT being able to collect pension if not leaving for good.

Here's my STEP BY STEP GUIDE.

1. Within ONE month of your contract end/departure date
PURCHASE A ONE WAY TICKET SOMEWHERE (Japan, Taiwan, USA, Philippines, etc.) KEYWORD: one-way (I MADE MY PURCHASE ONE WEEK BEFORE)

2.VISIT your regional NPS office

3. BRING the following documents with you:

a. PASSPORT (and a copy of first two pages)*
b.COPY OF AIRLINE TICKET(departure date has to be less than a month from the date of the claim) print from online
c.IDENTIFICATION CARD(and a copy)*

d.AN APPLICATION FOR KOREAN BENEFITS (The form is available in the regional offices and on-line.)
e.YOUR LOCAL BANKBOOK(and a copy)*
f. A CERTIFICATE OF EMPLOYMENT

* If you bring a copy of everything, it saves A LOT OF TIME! Otherwise,
they will excuse themselves from your presence to walk to the copier, and wait in line to make copies.

TELL them you want to collect the money at the airport.
They will give you a PENSION RECEIPT with the EXACT amount you will be collecting.

(You will also be providing account info /this is in case you run short on time

The Pension office will give you a map telling/showing you exactly where to go at the airport.

Within TWO hours of your flight's departure you can COLLECT your CASH at SHINHAN BANK.

Take your trip/vacation/holiday, whatever and come back.
(I TRAVELLED IN AND OUT THREE TIMES BEFORE settling into my new job)

TECHNICALLY, you can be gone up to TWO WEEKS before returning(presuming you have time on your ARC) but why chance it?

KEEP YOUR ARC CARD, YOU WILL NEED IT WHEN YOU RETURN.

NOTE: This process should be done BEFORE you SWITCH to a D-10 , if you are planning to go that route

This entire process took about THREE minutes at PENSION OFFICE
and about FIVE MINUTES total at AIRPORT. I've been here a long time so I had a good stash of cash in my innocent looking backpack.

OH yeah, you must declare at the NPS which currency you want your cash to be given to you at the airport. I chose Benjamin's.

Addresses and Contact details for the Regional NPS offices can be found on the National Pension Scheme website http://www.nps.or.kr/. Click on English - on the English Page look to the right to the map of Korea, click on Go>> and the list of offices will appear. Click on the one you want and all the contact details will appear.
When visiting the NPS office look for the sign that says "Kuk min yeon geum(국민연금
)[/b]

Last edited by beentheredonethat777 on Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
le-paul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate you americans Smile
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

le-paul wrote:
I hate you americans Smile
Quote:

Don't hate the player, hate the game. Rolling Eyes Laughing
newb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does NPS want a certificate of employment?
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newb wrote:
Why does NPS want a certificate of employment?
Quote:

Certificate of Employment or Certificate of Completion (This is a way of verifying when exactly you will REALLY be finished.)

Because if your contract is still valid you cannot apply for pension. This is one of the rules of the NPS. This form cuts down on a lot questions. ^^
i.e " When is your contract complete/finished? Can you prove this?

When the agent was about to ask me," When is your.. oh, nevermind , here is the form. I see...Thank You."

I am not fluent in Korean yet, so my co-teacher called and this is the info they told her I should bring.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Oh, everyone, I'm sorry I forgot to mention this IMPORTANT INFO. YOU CAN ONLY COLLECT AT THE AIRPORT, IF YOU HAVE A MORNING/EARLY AFTERNOON FLIGHT. Otherwise the Office and Bank will be closed. This info is also mentioned at the pension office and on the NPS site, I think.

Please inquire at Pension Office. They will provide a booklet in English with all the information/location/time, etc.
Rutherford

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for this info!
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
[quote="Rutherford"]Thanks a lot for this info![/quote

You're welcome.
itiswhatitis

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO COLLECT PENSION AT AIRPORT & RETURN NEXT DAY Reply with quote

beentheredonethat777 wrote:

TECHNICALLY, you can be gone up to TWO WEEKS before returning(presuming you have time on your ARC) but why chance it?

WOW thanks for the info....

what do you mean by the gone 2 weeks thing??

Please clarify.....
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO COLLECT PENSION AT AIRPORT & RETURN NEXT DAY Reply with quote

itiswhatitis wrote:

Please clarify.....

DISCLAIMER: INFORMATION being presented herein, is not etched on a stone,carved in a tree, or written in blood. It's just personal experiences of mine or my associates. This site is a general reference site. Korea's laws, regulations remain what they are:ever changing. Anyone with more knowledge, please pay it forward. Thanks!

I'll do my best. When you finish your contract, your employer is required by law to report it to Immigration within 15 days. Even if he/she doesn't you are still responsible for reporting a change of status in employment. (That is why I said TWO weeks.) My friend had a little trouble,so I always mention it now, when sharing info.

KEEP READING IF INTERESTED IN MORE

When this occurs, you no longer have a visa sponsor. This act immediately severs any and all responsibility they had for your stay in Korea.

The Republic of Korea requires sponsorship (company, school, spouse)
of all individuals entering the country who are not tourists or business

Most ESL teachers now have a 13 month ARC card, meaning , even after your contract is finished you can remain in the country for up to 30 days (to tie up business matters/find new employment/ etc.) If this does not occur you must leave the country. (or apply for the D-10) But a few(I only know of one) may have been inadvertently given a 12 month visa.(old method)

If you leave and return ,as I did,multiple times during the interim, there is a possibility the Immigration Officer will ask you who is your sponsor because your school has reported you as having completed their contract.

To which you reply, "I have a new job."
To which they respond,"Please go to immigration and update your information."
To which you reply, I'm going right now(IF it's early morning) or I'm going tomorrow.(If it is late when you arrive)

As long as your ARC card is still valid, you should have no problems.
Basically, you have 30 days to find a job upon completion, or you must change your Visa status.

I had toyed with the idea of getting a D-10, and to slowly look for a job for a few months (since I have all this pension money), but I changed my mind.

I mentioned two weeks because I didn't want to give anyone the impression
they could just be gone indefinitely and then enter without possibly being reasonably interrogated.

IMMIGRATION has a right to refuse entry to any one at any time for any reason. If you don't have a job lined up, you must report to immigration. They will usually extend the visa for another 30 days and tell you if you don't find a job you must leave.

ADDITIONAL INFO

Extending your E-2 you can .

It’s called the “Temporary extension of stay for departure of registered foreigners”. Basically you can get yourself an extended E-2 before your visa expires, without having to leave the country first. You can stay in Korea for up to 30 days after your E-2 expires, as long as you have a flight ticket showing that you will leave the country within that time. You aren’t allowed to work during this time, though

You can apply online. All you need is a jpeg image of your flight ticket.

Here’s how to do it (just make sure you’re using a Windows PC, with IE6 or higher):

1. Go to this website: http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/index.html (If the website isn’t in English, you can change the language by clicking on “English” on the menu to the right of the page.

2. If you aren’t already registered on the website, do so. You can join under the “Log-in” page to the left of the screen. You’ll need your ARC number and some personal details.

3. Once you’ve registered (or logged in), look at the top menu bar. Click on “E-APPLICATION”, and then “File an application”.

PLEASE CALL IMMIGRATION call center at 1345.
Call on Monday and again on Tuesday.
You will (may) get two totally different answers to the same question.

Last edited by beentheredonethat777 on Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: HOW TO COLLECT PENSION AT AIRPORT & RETURN NEXT DAY Reply with quote

itiswhatitis wrote:

Please clarify.....

DISCLAIMER: INFORMATION being presented herein, is not etched on a stone,carved in a tree, or written in blood. It's just personal experiences of mine or my associates. This site is a general reference site. Korea's laws, regulations remain what they are:ever changing. Anyone with more knowledge, please pay it forward. Thanks!

I'll do my best. When you finish your contract, your employer is required by law to report it to Immigration within 15 days. Even if he/she doesn't you are still responsible for reporting a change of status in employment. (That is why I said TWO weeks.) My friend had a little trouble,so I always mention it now, when sharing info.

When this occurs, you no longer have a sponsor. This act immediately severs any and all responsibility they had for your stay in Korea.

Most ESL teachers now have a 13 month ARC card, meaning , even after your contract is finished you can remain in the country for up to 30 days (to tie up business matters/find new employment/ etc.) If this does not occur you must leave the country. (or apply for the D-10) But a few(I only know of one) may have been inadvertently given a 12 month visa.(old method)

If you leave and return ,as I did,multiple times during the interim, there is a possibility the Immigration Officer will ask you who is your sponsor because your school has reported you as having completed their contract.

To which you reply, I'm going right now(IF it's early morning) or I'm going tomorrow.(If it is late when you arrive)

Basically, you have 30 days to find a job upon completion, or you must change your Visa status.

I had toyed with the idea of getting a D-10, and to slowly look for a job for a few months (since I have all this pension money), but I changed my mind.

they could just be gone indefinitely and then enter without possibly being reasonably interrogated.

IMMIGRATION has a right to refuse entry to any one at any time for any reason. If you don't have a job lined up, you must report to immigration. They will usually extend the visa for another 30 days and tell you if you don't find a job you must leave.

ADDITIONAL INFO

Extending your E-2 you can .

It’s called the “Temporary extension of stay for departure of registered foreigners”. Basically you can get yourself an extended E-2 before your visa expires, without having to leave the country first. You can stay in Korea for up to 30 days after your E-2 expires, as long as you have a flight ticket showing that you will leave the country within that time. You aren’t allowed to work during this time, though

You can apply online. All you need is a jpeg image of your flight ticket.

Here’s how to do it (just make sure you’re using a Windows PC, with IE6 or higher):

1. Go to this website: http://www.hikorea.go.kr/pt/index.html (If the website isn’t in English, you can change the language by clicking on “English” on the menu to the right of the page.

2. If you aren’t already registered on the website, do so. You can join under the “Log-in” page to the left of the screen. You’ll need your ARC number and some personal details.

3. Once you’ve registered (or logged in), look at the top menu bar. Click on “E-APPLICATION”, and then “File an application”.

PLEASE CALL IMMIGRATION call center at 1345.
Call on Monday and again on Tuesday.
You will (may) get two totally different answers to the same question.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: HOW TO COLLECT PENSION AT AIRPORT & RETURN NEXT DAY Reply with quote

[quote="beentheredonethat777"][quote="beentheredonethat777"]
itiswhatitis wrote:

Please clarify.....

When this occurs, you no longer have a sponsor. This act immediately severs any and all responsibility they had for your stay in Korea.

UPDATE 08/09/2013 IT WORKS!

Okay. So someone just informed me that they followed my step by step guide and is now back in Korea after collecting his pension from the airport on Tuesday and going to Japan for a couple of days. Now his plan is to get a D-10 and relax.
YEAH! I'm happy to have helped another teacher via DAVE's ESL CAFE
newb

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to file for the airport lump-sum refund at the local NPS office yesterday. The NPS guy informed me the amount including the interest minus the tax that I will receive at the airport. He gave me a piece of paper to take to the NPS airport office. But there's a catch. He informed me that make sure my school file some form to drop me from NPS at least a day before my departure date to receive the refund at the airport. I asked him if my employer can drop me from NPS before my contract ends. His response was that they cannot drop me from NPS until a day after my contract ends. I'm leaving a day after finishing my fifth and final contract, so I will have to settle for the lump-sum refund into my bank account. Rolling Eyes
wings

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
so I will have to settle for the lump-sum refund into my bank account. Rolling Eyes

After five years here, I'm sure your pension is well over the amount of cash that you are legally allowed to transport (10,000USD).

Some of the sniffer dogs at the airport are not drug sniffer dogs, they are trained to sniff out wads of cash. When my husband and I came to Korea we had a lot of cash with us (but we kept it to 9,000 USD each) for our key money on the apartment we had set up, a few months living expenses etc. We got sniffed by the dogs. If you have over 10,000 you have to declare it and pay tax on it. That would SUCK!
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
His response was that they cannot drop me from NPS until a day after my contract ends. I'm leaving a day after finishing my fifth and final contract, so I will have to settle for the lump-sum refund into my bank account. Rolling Eyes
[/quote]
^^[/quote]
Quote:
@newbie: This information is correct.
But you really shouldn't have settled a for -lump sum into your bank account. You could have still picked up your cash at the airport.

A. What will happen is , month later, they will send you an email/bill for one month of pension,because pension contributions are always paid one month later. Asking you to please pay your portion as they have paid their part.

NO your employer cannot drop you from pension early.
But you still could have collected your money at the airport. I think you were asking too many questions.

You overcomplicated the process. Don't volunteer a lot of extra information or ask a lot of questions. This always brings a RED FLAG!

Everyone please read this. Do not try to confuse the people at the pension office. FILE FOR YOUR CASH and TELL THEM YOU WILL BE COLLECTING AT THE AIRPORT. DO not create SCENARIOS, TRY to PICK their BRAIN, or think of WHAT IF...Kind of questions.

Did you say, I've never coming back again? If so, you once again volunteered a lot of information.

IF ARE STILL IN KOREA, YOU CAN STILL COLLECT AT THE AIRPORT, IF YOU HAVE THE PAPER and you checked the box AIRPORT PICK-UP. Let me know how it goes. Thanks.

General Information For Others: You can also take a copy of contract to show completion date instead of certification of completion.

Last edited by beentheredonethat777 on Fri Aug 09, 2013 7:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
After five years here, I'm sure your pension is well over the amount of cash that you are legally allowed to transport (10,000USD).

Some of the sniffer dogs at the airport are not drug sniffer dogs, they are trained to sniff out wads of cash. When my husband and I came to Korea we had a lot of cash with us (but we kept it to 9,000 USD each) for our key money on the apartment we had set up, a few months living expenses etc. We got sniffed by the dogs. If you have over 10,000 you have to declare it and pay tax on it. That would SUCK

FYI: You are actually allowed 50,000 USD exit allowance. You must be able to prove you earned it ,if asked. But 9 times out of 10, they won't ask.
. A copy of a contract will suffice.
This information is readily available (POSTED) at the Post Office/Exchange Bank and banks at the airport. I have exchanged large sums of cash at the airport when travelling, and they have given me this info. UP TO $50,000 exit allowance of earned income.

UNLESS this suddenly changed as of JULY 2013. If anyone has any more update info, please post it here. Thanks!

Last edited by beentheredonethat777 on Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:27 am; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: