Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HOW TO COLLECT PENSION AT AIRPORT & RETURN NEXT DAY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!!! That was an excellent report. I may try this in a couple of months.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Good info about D-10 and Pension Refund Reply with quote

A couple of people asked me about this possibility...here you go!

CPT wrote:
Alright, so I ended up getting my pension, while on my D-10, and I haven't left the country (well, I left and came back after I stopped working, which is important).

I was worried about applying with a D-10, so I called the International Service Center and asked if the process was the same for a D-10. She checked and told me it was.

So I went ahead and booked a flight to Japan, and headed to the pension office.

I was a bit worried, because on the form for Canadians, there was no option for airport payment. I asked, and she said it would be possible, but I don't even have to do it because I've already left the country once since my last contract. This seems to fall in line with what I've read in some other threads, but I was not expecting it and did not want to ask any questions when they were offering me a way to get my money faster and without leaving the country.

It only took them a day to send the money.

So now I have my pension money in my Korean bank account, a valid D-10, and a ticket to Tokyo on Tuesday that I may or may not use.

I assume now that I have the money, I no longer have any obligation to leave, though I might go because it would still be nice to go to Tokyo.

I'm not sure my experience is typical of dealing with the pension office, but it could not have been easier. If I run into any problems later, I'll update again.
sojusucks

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great topic. I hope more people try this and post their results (in order to verify it). Very Happy
mikesaidyes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just called the pension office international center. I sad 'Can I collect pension on a D-10 visa?"

The answer: "No, you can't."

Always a rollercoaster.
Skippy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikesaidyes wrote:
I just called the pension office international center. I sad 'Can I collect pension on a D-10 visa?"

The answer: "No, you can't."

Always a rollercoaster.

Of course they are going to say that. Being on a D-10 to them likely means that you are staying in the country. Also, they are not going to be wanting to tell people how to circumvent the system. What this whole thread is trying to do is to give the pension office the clue that you are leaving Korea. It seems like they do not really check that a visa is canceled. They more concerned that a person has left Korea and is not coming right back too quickly.
mzeno

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:02 am    Post subject: leaving a job early Reply with quote

How would it work if your leaving a job early, before the end of the contract?
Any substantial differences?
travlanders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Cool but... Reply with quote

The original poster went to great length to share and develop this and for that I am in debt. However....

I do not believe there is mention of any documentation. What I am refering to is the criminal background check and other garbage you have to do now to get an E2. My primary concern is not whether or not I can get the pension but whether I can get the pension and not have to resubmit the criminal background check. Perhaps this was mentioned and I missed it, not sure.

My plan is to do this.

1) file for the pension with a 1-way ticket and airport lump sum
2) the day before my flight change my visa to a d10
3) pick up the money at the airport the day of
4) leave for a vacay without forfeiting my ARC
5) come back on another one way with my d10 and money

Will it work? Not sure but it seems a lot more safe with regards to keeping the documents needed in place for my next job.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Cool but... Reply with quote

travlanders wrote:
The original poster went to great length to share and develop this and for that I am in debt. However....

I do not believe there is mention of any documentation. What I am refering to is the criminal background check and other garbage you have to do now to get an E2. My primary concern is not whether or not I can get the pension but whether I can get the pension and not have to resubmit the criminal background check. Perhaps this was mentioned and I missed it, not sure.

My plan is to do this.

1) file for the pension with a 1-way ticket and airport lump sum
2) the day before my flight change my visa to a d10
3) pick up the money at the airport the day of
4) leave for a vacay without forfeiting my ARC
5) come back on another one way with my d10 and money

Will it work? Not sure but it seems a lot more safe with regards to keeping the documents needed in place for my next job.

Yes, this is will work. Criminal Background Checks and Pension are not even remotely connected(#5- May not be possible. How can you return with a D-10?
How exactly do you plan to do this?

My original post was written specifically for people who wanted to collect their pension and return quickly to Korea to find new employment.

You should get the D10 AFTER you come back to Korea. #5 doesn't seem plausible. How would it be possible to return with a D-10 visa? You must apply for a change of visa status within 15 days of completing your contract.(or at least BEFORE your ARC expires)
It takes anywhere from 7 days to 21 days to receive the D-10/(usually)

As long as your ARC card is still valid, I would do this as soon as I returned from vacation. (How long of a vacation are you planning?)

You should not have to re-submit any documents to immigration if you are out of the country for less than 90 days. However, some schools may ask for new documents. Choose your next contract wisely.

Try to work with your new school to date the contract in a manner that lines up with immigration rules.

I think you're good to go.
pjstarbuck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just returned today with my pension money - also I had applied & been approved for the D-10 before I left Korea, but a few days AFTER I visited the NPS to apply for my refund - make sure you get that in order and not the other way around.

I was able to come back with the paper "certificate of alien registration" (temporary ARC) given to me by immigration, no problems, no questions asked at the immigration line.

One small problem that hadn't been mentioned yet - the guy at the pension desk at Incheon airport asked for my ARC (dunno why he asked for it), I just said I lost it - that was the end of it.

Follow the steps in the OP and you are golden. Much thanks for posting all that OP.
jcd

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pjstarbuck wrote:
Just returned today with my pension money - also I had applied & been approved for the D-10 before I left Korea, but a few days AFTER I visited the NPS to apply for my refund - make sure you get that in order and not the other way around.

I was able to come back with the paper "certificate of alien registration" (temporary ARC) given to me by immigration, no problems, no questions asked at the immigration line.

One small problem that hadn't been mentioned yet - the guy at the pension desk at Incheon airport asked for my ARC (dunno why he asked for it), I just said I lost it - that was the end of it.

Follow the steps in the OP and you are golden. Much thanks for posting all that OP.

What about not using the airport option but having the money deposited into your account? One poster on here did that and got the money a couple days after he applied at the NPS.
How is the deposit option versus the airport one?
pjstarbuck

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right - one poster was able to do that but I honestly don't know if that's typical or just a one off thing - wanted the money and didn't want to take the chance that it wouldn't be deposited overnight while I was in Osaka - I literally only spent the night there and came back the very next day.

I suppose if you are going on vacation and going to be gone for a few weeks, then having the money deposited would work just fine - I've heard of friends doing that when traveling around Southeast Asia.
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two questions-

First, is Shinhan the only option at the airport to recieve the pension refund? Possible to do this at another bank, such at KEB? If another bank does indeed exist at Incheon airport, that is.

Also, once recieving the pension in cash, can you immediately deposit it into your account(Shinhan or otherwise)?

Going to try this at the end of the month. Will post as to whether I'm successful, or not. Also going to try to return and apply for the D-10 visa.

Thanks
pjstarbuck

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Yes, shinhan is your only option - the Pension office gives very specific directions about what to do to get your money, and if you don't follow them I have no idea if you'd get your money or not.

However, when they say "Shinhan" it's not a full branch - its a currency exchange desk operated by Shinhan bank. So, immediately depositing your money is not possible (I believe - ask when you go and let us know!).

Another issue - when I applied at my local NPS office, they said that KRW is not available for airport pickup - could just be my local office (Eunpyeong-gu) or it could be a new policy - who knows.

However, there is nothing stopping you from 1. receiving your pension payout in another currency (USD, CDN, EUR, whatever), then 2. walking to the next exchange counter, 3. exchanging to KRW and 4. finding an ATM and depositing your pension into your Korean bank account. I do not think there is a more direct way than that, but if you figure one out, let us know!
OBwannabe

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen this mentioned here. Maybe I missed it.
Wouldn't you need a multiple entry visa in order to return and apply for your D-10?
pjstarbuck

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you would need a multiple-entry visa and an e-2 or a d-10 are both multiple entry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: