Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you do about $ your 1st month?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeaforKorea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: What did you do about $ your 1st month? Reply with quote

I am wondering how much Korean won I should have with me when I arrive.

Will I be able to pay for things with my American bank card? It's a Mastercard that's linked directly to my bank account and supposedly it works internationally, but will I get a better exchange rate if I get cash changed to won before I arrive and just use that until I get a bank account set up?

I've read on here that I should have at least $1000 to live on the 1st month before my 1st paycheck, but I can't imagine that people are flying overseas with that much cash on them.

So please share with me what you did about money for your 1st month.
IPayInCash

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why cant you imagine people flying overseas without much cash on them? My most recent trip to SEA with my smoking hot girlfriend, I had around $2500 in CASH on me. Youre not a baby anymore. No ones going to rob you unless youre an idiot and a sucker.

When I first came to Korea, I came with not much and a lot less than $1000. I got by just fine. Ive since then worked my way up the ladder and now have a DREAM job here in Korra that pays very well. Doesnt matter how broke you start out. If you work hard and put in the time, you too can be as successful as me.
cabeza

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Came with $2000 cash money, and access to another $5000 on my home ATM card.

You never know how much you are going to need in your first month because there are always unforeseen costs and depends on the individual situation of your job.
It's never ideal to carry wads of cash, but there aren't many places that are safer to do so than Korea. Bankcards are hit and miss. For every one person who uses with no problem there are two or three who can't.
beentheredonethat777

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: What did you do about $ your 1st month? Reply with quote

LeaforKorea wrote:

Will I be able to pay for things with my American bank card? It's a Mastercard that's linked directly to my bank account and supposedly it works internationally, but will I get a better exchange rate if I get cash changed to won before I arrive and just use that until I get a bank account set up?

I've read on here that I should have at least $1000 to live on the 1st month before my 1st paycheck, but I can't imagine that people are flying overseas with that much cash on them.

Quote:

You actually need to bring some cash $USD along with your bank card.
Change money here. You will get more cash per dollar.

If you have $600-800, you should be okay.

It takes about six or seven weeks to get paid.(hogwans)
Bring as much cash as you can in your pocket.

You need $1000 in case something goes wrong with housing/school/etc.and money to pay for exam, food, transportation, etc

I only brought $650 but it was not enough. That was a long time ago. I hope this helps.
No_hite_pls

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wife and I came here with about $1,000 in cash and about $45,000 accessible through credit/bank cards. The rest was tied up in stocks/bonds/property. We went through the $1,000 before pay day and wished at the time we brought more in cash. We had to use our US credit card. There was an emergency back home and we paid an exchange fee to buy the plane tickets on US credit card. We should have brought more cash then we wouldn't have had to pay the fee. We booked the tickets through Xanadu travel and they only took Korean currency.
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

200-300 should be enough, exchange to won except about $50 which you can use for when you return.

Then, use a card to get the rest of the cash from a bank machine as you need it. Don't use the 200-300 unless you really need it.

You can also shop with the card.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IPayInCash wrote:
Why cant you imagine people flying overseas without much cash on them? My most recent trip to SEA with my smoking hot girlfriend, I had around $2500 in CASH on me. Youre not a baby anymore. No ones going to rob you unless youre an idiot and a sucker.

Rolling Eyes
andrewchon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do about $ your 1st month? Reply with quote

LeaforKorea wrote:

Non, you get some at the cash exchange at the airport when you arrive.

Use American cards if you're keen on making banks rich. Get used to paying for things in cash. Things tend to be cheaper that way.

People bring a lot more than that because they think they'll continue to live the life-style back at home. If you are a boozer, yes. If you plan to live on fried chicken and pizza, yes. If not, you don't need that much. Pay day is 17th of every month. So if you had started working today, you'd be paid for 8 days, then next month the full pay and so on.

I brought $1000 because my mother insisted that I do. I still have $900 left.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do about $ your 1st month? Reply with quote

andrewchon wrote:
LeaforKorea wrote:

Non, you get some at the cash exchange at the airport when you arrive.

Use American cards if you're keen on making banks rich. Get used to paying for things in cash. Things tend to be cheaper that way.

People bring a lot more than that because they think they'll continue to live the life-style back at home. If you are a boozer, yes. If you plan to live on fried chicken and pizza, yes. If not, you don't need that much. Pay day is 17th of every month. So if you had started working today, you'd be paid for 8 days, then next month the full pay and so on.

I brought $1000 because my mother insisted that I do. I still have $900 left.

Been in Korea since 2008 and you've only got 900$ to your name? Wink
ttompatz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do about $ your 1st month? Reply with quote

LeaforKorea wrote:

NONE

Do NOT buy won outside of Korea.

Bring DOLLARS and buy won AFTER you land in Korea.

Exchange a couple hundred dollars to won at the airport to see you through your first few days.

Go to a bank after you get into your apartment and change the rest as needed/necessary.

LeaforKorea wrote:

I don't know how to tell you this but $1000 isn't that much cash.
10 Benjamins won't even strain your wallet - at least not in terms of the space needed for them.

$1000 should, under current circumstances, be considered the minimum.
Even if everything goes to plan you will still need money for things to get set up (toilet paper, cleaning supplies, laundry, food, etc).

Best case - you should have access to $3000 in case things go to crap after you get here (job ends suddenly, don't get paid for 6-10 weeks after arrival, etc).

The days of flying over with $300 in your pocket and a prayer to see you through till payday have pretty much gone the way of the Dodo bird.
tealeaf

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend $1500 cash, minimum.
Change $300 at the airport when you arrive and change the rest at a bank later.

Have access to $1500, minimum, in your home country the entire period of your stay in Korea. Make sure you have easy and immediate access to this. Some bank debit cards will not work in some ATMs, this was my experience when I first arrived.
12ax7

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: What did you do about $ your 1st month? Reply with quote

ttompatz wrote:
LeaforKorea wrote:

NONE

Do NOT buy won outside of Korea.

Bring DOLLARS and buy won AFTER you land in Korea.

Exchange a couple hundred dollars to won at the airport to see you through your first few days.

Go to a bank after you get into your apartment and change the rest as needed/necessary.

LeaforKorea wrote:

I don't know how to tell you this but $1000 isn't that much cash.
10 Benjamins won't even strain your wallet - at least not in terms of the space needed for them.

$1000 should, under current circumstances, be considered the minimum.
Even if everything goes to plan you will still need money for things to get set up (toilet paper, cleaning supplies, laundry, food, etc).

Best case - you should have access to $3000 in case things go to crap after you get here (job ends suddenly, don't get paid for 6-10 weeks after arrival, etc).

The days of flying over with $300 in your pocket and a prayer to see you through till payday have pretty much gone the way of the Dodo bird.

Yes, I agree. You won't get a good currency rate on the Korean won outside of Korea. It's also very wise to have access to more funds than you could reasonably foresee needing, especially when moving to a foreign country with nothing more than hope and a promise.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I laugh at this, and agree.

$1,000 is peanuts. I'm entertained by the mind set that people have thinking that that would be suitable enough to get a jump start here.

Beg, borrow, and steal if you really want to get here but if you're patient and have done your're due diligence, you won't need to worry too much. Still a lot of schools offering housing and flights. YOu just need to get here first, then suss out your next move.

Save up enough to live her two months, first, is my suggestion. Then you can take your time to actually interview your employers! Because in Korea, the school doesen't interview me, I interview them. Look at it from that perspective.
caribmon

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came over with my private jet, but I forgot to bring cash. Fortunately, I was able to buy one of the local banks and used it to wire some money over.
Squire

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had £500 cash and more in the bank when I got here. I remember in the last few days leading up to my first pay day I borrowed 5 man won from a friend, because I didn't know how to take money out using my foreign card
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: