Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mailing Desktop Computers?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AshScof

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Mailing Desktop Computers? Reply with quote

From what I am gathering on here and the internet is it basically impossible to ship a desktop computer (monitor, tower, mouse, and keyboard) from the US to South Korea (and back)?

Because I have a desktop which I am fairly attached to as it has all my programs and such on it (plus it is customized the way I want). I would like to be able to play my computer games and such, while in SK and laptops that have the VC/RAM/etc to do this can be quite expensive.

Any anyone confirm or deny, or give me information on this?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Mailing Desktop Computers? Reply with quote

AshScof wrote:
From what I am gathering on here and the internet is it basically impossible to ship a desktop computer (monitor, tower, mouse, and keyboard) from the US to South Korea (and back)?

Because I have a desktop which I am fairly attached to as it has all my programs and such on it (plus it is customized the way I want). I would like to be able to play my computer games and such, while in SK and laptops that have the VC/RAM/etc to do this can be quite expensive.

Any anyone confirm or deny, or give me information on this?

Ship, as in: put in a box and send it = for all intents and purposes, not possible. The costs are PROHIBITIVE and the chances of it arriving undamaged are not good.

Ship, as in bring with you = possible.
Strip the guts out of the case. Bring everything but the case and power supply (both are cheap and easy to get here).

Re-assemble once you are here.

Be aware that, unless your power supply has a switch on it (dual voltage) that it is probably rated at 110VAC input and won't work here due to differences in power supply (240VAC).

You can also, coming from the States, put it (as a complete tower) into your checked baggage and bring it. At 13-15kg it is possible (I have carried a couple back and forth that way) and you will have sufficient luggage allowance (at least on the transpacific part of the flight).

Get a monitor when you get here.

schmoove

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done as stated above.
Stripped a desktop, put it in luggage, minus case, power supply and monitor, then reassembled here.
Hard drives go with me in carry on, as they are delicate and heavy.

Pal of mine put whole desktop case on plane as check in, got to US and found one of the hard drives had come loose and destroyed itself, another hdd, and his graphics card in the process.
Seriously, what idiot secures a hdd with only one screw! Ahh yeah I installed that drive for him ^-^
Well if he had told me he was moving it.....!

Also aren't there some new regulations regarding the mailing of electronics and US these days? I seem to remember something.

Hard drives in carry on luggage always!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: