Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did you do about $ your 1st month?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weigookin74

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed many debit cards don't work here at most banks. I think American banks must have a special deal because some of their debit cards will work in some machines but not all and never guaranteed. My Canadian debit card never worked in the machines here and some other nationalities have had a similiar problem.

Fortunately, my credit card will work in some machines like KEB and KB star banks. If you are in a really small town, you may not have those banks. Some of the Ministops and GS 25 convenience stores will have international credit card withdrawl allowed but some won't. If you end up in a rural area, don't expect to be able to use your credit card much for cash advances if you run short getting closer to payday. But, there will be options you'll figure out over time.

As Ttompatz says, bring 3 grand just in case. If you end up in a bad situation and need to get out of dodge or some unexpected emergency comes up, you'll need a plan B. I got lucky and ended up with a rural public school when public schools first started expanding but had I of ended up with a bad hakwon that didn't pay, I would have been screwed. This happened to a couple of foriegners in my old country town. They had to play all kinds of games to get paid. I think they had some savings and could pool resources as a couple to save. But, had it of happened to me, I would have ended up on the street with no money home calling abroad to beg for some money.

More and more schools have financial solvency issues after you get here. So, don't get here until you have MORE than enough money to cover an unexpected surprise. Stay in your parents basement (if you're young) for a long time if that's what it takes to be picky about the right job offer. Don't jump at the first offer you see and take the lowest paying job either. Talk to the other foriegn teachers; get their emails. DO not accept any job offer without this. No emails given; no you.

As for getting here, with 50,000 won bills, cashing out 700,000 won isn't such a big deal. Do it right at the airport. Have the rest in a money belt on your waist or have that much in your bank account back home with a credit card attached and with your online banking set up. If you need to use your CC, you can go online and flip funds from your savings account to pay the CC balance right away.

Anyways, plan well and have a plan B. It astounds me how many people get over and get screwed because they didn't plan. It could have happened to me. But the ease of getting another job or even landing into a public school randomly through any recruiter is long gone. (My recruiter even got the local school board to pay my flight because they were desperate. No way, I could have and would have had to gone hakwon. A 500 dollar CC would not have cut the mustard.)

Good luck.
PatrickGHBusan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best case or ideal case: come over with 2000$ in hand and access to 3000$ more in case of emergency (this can be through available credit).

This will cover your expenses for the first month and protect you in case something happens with your job.

Coming over with no money is asking for trouble and added stress. Coming over with too little will result in the same: undue stress and potential trouble.

I would say 1000$ in hand would be the bare minimum.

I will also chime in and agree that you should not buy any Won. Bring dollars and change them to Won in Korea.
12ax7

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weigookin74 wrote:
I've noticed many debit cards don't work here at most banks. I think American banks must have a special deal because some of their debit cards will work in some machines but not all and never guaranteed. My Canadian debit card never worked in the machines here and some other nationalities have had a similiar problem.

Not all ATMs accept foreign debit cards. Try indicating it's a credit card if it won't accept it.
LeaforKorea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for all the info! Very Happy
Underwaterbob

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brought about 300'000won cash to buy food with me.
Lucas

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I came over with my private jet, but I forgot to bring cash. Fortunately, I was able to buy one of the local banks and used it to wire some money over.

Why are you doing ESL man? You should do stand-up...

I had shares in 'tomato bank Korea,' but it turned out they were rotten.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bring enough so that you always have the cash to buy a flight back home when (if) your hogwan goes under! Or when you get fucked out of your monthly salary, which can and does happen.

It's a good general rule to have 3 months salary saved at all times when and after you get here and established because if you're a newbie teaching in hogwans, you're likely to get done at one point in your first year or two here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: