Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Frankly speaking" and "Take a rest"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do you use "take a rest" and "frankly speaking"?
I don't use either expression
53%
 53%  [ 17 ]
I use both expressions
12%
 12%  [ 4 ]
I only use "frankly speaking"
6%
 6%  [ 2 ]
I only use "take a rest"
28%
 28%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 32

Threequalseven

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually say, "To be frank..."
Engrish Mufffin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:

Frankly speaking certainly sounds like an older phrase, but it could still be in use as reporter, and probably found its way into a textbook somewhere.

I hear CNN/ESPN and other shows mostly using "Frankly." Have yet to hear frankly speaking.

Did ask a British friend yesterday and he claimed he didn't hear it in the UK and his problem was with Koreans using "these days," which must be an American or NAE thing.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engrish Mufffin wrote:
alongway wrote:

Frankly speaking certainly sounds like an older phrase, but it could still be in use as reporter, and probably found its way into a textbook somewhere.

I hear CNN/ESPN and other shows mostly using "Frankly." Have yet to hear frankly speaking.

Did ask a British friend yesterday and he claimed he didn't hear it in the UK and his problem was with Koreans using "these days," which must be an American or NAE thing.

typo, should say reported.
Someone mentioned before that they'd heard it
jammo

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ginormousaurus wrote:
Engrish Mufffin wrote:
jammo wrote:
쉬세요/설직히 말하면....

thats your answer right there. commonly used phrases translated to English. Nothing more complex than that. Good question!

That could be it, but I would think that if it was from only one book, but it seems like it's in a ton of school books.

They are in a ton of books becuase they are the direct translations of common Korean phrases. Just like jammo said. I'm not sure why it being in lots of books makes the proposed explanation less valid.

seconded.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who's Your Daddy? wrote:
"Frankly speaking, I don't give a damn." I guess it was used in Gone with The Wind times.

"Take a rest" is Konglish to me.

Also, "long time no see" seems like Konglish too. It certainly doesn't sound like proper English.

I think the add on ending ",and you?" I've only encountered in Korea. I purposely never respond.

I think it was "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My issue this week is vocab and expressions being shoe-horned in some where.

"Thus, he tried to ascend the corporate ladder"

Now, no real issues with that sentence as written, but it was part of a casual dialogue. Am I missing out on this type of conversation, because seriously, I don't think people usually talk like this.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Now, no real issues with that sentence as written, but it was part of a casual dialogue. Am I missing out on this type of conversation, because seriously, I don't think people usually talk like this.

This is often a huge issue with ESL materials. They're not authentic. They don't use real materials, and instead materials created by people who can't think up natural sounding sentences. Yes, they're technically correct, but they sound weird. In the history of the internet no one has ever written "tried to ascend the corporate ladder"
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A simple Google search finds that "ascend the corporate ladder" has been used at least 218,000 times, including in Forbes.

Not exactly common, but acceptable.
alongway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

transmogrifier wrote:
A simple Google search finds that "ascend the corporate ladder" has been used at least 218,000 times, including in Forbes.

Yes. That's a common phrase, the problem is the way it's shoehorned into a sentence in an unnatural, albeit grammatically correct, way.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:

Yes. That's a common phrase, the problem is the way it's shoehorned into a sentence in an unnatural, albeit grammatically correct, way.

To add to this, I'd also say that what's written, isn't always said - especially in a conversation.

Does anyone sit around with friends saying "I had a stomach ache, thus I had to go to the bathroom?"

And when people talk about ladders, don't they commonly say "climb" or "go up"?

To me, there's a big difference between what people actually talk like vs what I've seen in many "texts"
transmogrifier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alongway wrote:
transmogrifier wrote:

It's certainly something that's rarely spoken, which I think was the original context, but I honestly don't have a problem with it as a written sentence. It doesn't seem awkward to me.

Though I am in the middle of providing feedback for 25 Statements of Purpose from my writing class, and maybe the avalanche of truly awkward phrases there has made me more tolerant. Smile
northway

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume the "frankly speaking" thing has been around forever, considering I work with a 64 year old who learned English at SNU back in the '70s and says it in pretty much every conversation I have with him. Perhaps something that was translated poorly at first, was disseminated via SKY, then became standard Konglish across the board? To be honest, I hadn't really noticed it as being an odd thing to say, though now that it's pointed out to me I'll agree that nobody really says that.
Engrish Mufffin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:

Yeah so much vocabulary is forced. I wanted to make another thread about bad English textbooks in Korea (especially written by Koreans). There's a Kakao English book and the entire book is full of incoherent conversations that would never take place.
kimchikowboy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the problem with "frankly speaking" is how it is used. Generally, it is when you want to deliver news the listener does not want to hear (Frankly speaking, the original poster should have used Google before asking this question here).
As for the other, I always told students it was wrong. Then, after following my own advice in the example above, I found this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAL1Sg51XC8
Janny

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, and it never did before, but "please take a rest" uttered to me from a Korean person makes me laugh. It just sounds so lame and cute and ridiculous. Endearing, actually. This one thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: