Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Online MA Degree - Toilet Paper Qualification?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jodami

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Online MA Degree - Toilet Paper Qualification? Reply with quote

According to some of the "experts" on here, an online degree is not worth the paper it's typed on.

They have suggested, that graduates of prestigious bricks and mortar universities, will qualify with dud qualifications. EVEN WHEN, the on campus and online curriculum, is EXACTLY the same.

A friend has said, eventually - all online degrees WILL NOT be recognized.

Discuss.
I'm With You

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Online MA Degree - Toilet Paper Qualification? Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
According to some of the "experts" on here, an online degree is not worth the paper it's typed on.

They have suggested, that graduates of prestigious bricks and mortar universities, will qualify with dud qualifications. EVEN WHEN, the on campus and online curriculum, is EXACTLY the same.

A friend has said, eventually - all online degrees WILL NOT be recognized.

Discuss.

You ever see the movie with Bill Murray where he gets up every morning and the same shit happens? I think it was Groundhog day.

That's kind of how I'm feeling lately with these posts about online master's degrees.
Mikejelai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My online MA has served me very, very well (as has my brick and mortar doctorate). I must admit that the online MA was the more difficult of the two, however, because anyone can sit in a brick and mortar classroom (which has required attendance), take notes from time to time, memorize the info and later regurgitate it during the exam.....

Blended learning and/or time-shifted learning is what the future holds, like it or not. The material is the same, but the delivery method is more convenient.
Paddycakes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're teaching ESL in your local university language center, in my view an on-line MA versus a campus MA makes no difference since all you are is a glorified hogwan instructor who just happens to work in a uni setting.

Sorry to shatter any delusions of grandeur, but it's true.

Being a native speaker and simply just having patience and caring about your job is WAY more important than any academic qualification. ESL is not 'technical' job.

The scare for on-line MAs is that there are a glut of campus MAs on the market.

In a job interview scenario where all other things are equal, the on-line MA will lose out to the campus MA.
Mr. BlackCat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like just about every other topic on here, it's a bunch of people talking about things they know nothing about. Not only that, it's a lot of people with bones to pick, inferiority complexes and delusions of grandeur talking about things they know nothing about.

Most of these people who talk about online degrees being worthless don't have any MA, never mind an online one. They don't even work in an institution that requires an MA. Yet they are the experts for the topic not only in Korea, but around the world and into the future as well.

I know many people with online degrees that are doing very very well in Korea and abroad. I know several people with MAs that are not doing very much. Personally, since MAs are becoming more common I would choose an in class option just because there is a bias out there against online degrees (which won't stop you from finding a good job, but will put up more barriers). As for online degrees getting rejected in the future, it's actually the opposite. As these programs become better and more well known, they'll be more accepted. And the younger generation actually already knows about them, it's the older generation that has this bias because to them anything online is a Nigerian prince scam.

[Mod Edit]
RangerMcGreggor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the stigma comes from the rise of "alternative schools" that offer easy MAs that are below standard. Most of my teachers back home go their MAs through some sort of "distance" program (even if not completely online) simply because they worked and those type of MAs are generally geared for those in the field.

Also, I don't think people realize this, but in graduate school being able to "sit in classes" isn't what gets you a job or recognition; it's how good your papers (thesis) are.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some online qualifications are acceptable MA History - why not? Some online qualifications are not - I wouldn't fly with a pilot who learned online nor have an opertation from a surgeon who got an online medical degree.

MA TEFL is something that can be learned online for sure however - not everyone likes online MA's which includes Saudi Arabia, who are still the highest payers in TEFL.

It all depends, if I was married to a Korean woman and was planning on staying in Korea - I would have done my MA at Ewha, however, I wanted to work in the Middle East so that option was withdrawn for something that would be acceptable to them. It all depends on your final aims and goals.
young_clinton

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
Some online qualifications are acceptable MA History - why not? Some online qualifications are not - I wouldn't fly with a pilot who learned online nor have an opertation from a surgeon who got an online medical degree.

MA TEFL is something that can be learned online for sure however - not everyone likes online MA's which includes Saudi Arabia, who are still the highest payers in TEFL.

It all depends, if I was married to a Korean woman and was planning on staying in Korea - I would have done my MA at Ewdeha, however, I wanted to work in the Middle East so that option was withdrawn for something that would be acceptable to them. It all depends on your final aims and goals.

My MS had only the thesis and thesis preparation course done online, and was done in a foreign country. The SACM didn't sign the degree copy when they returned it with the visa. The degree is also from SUNY, what a bunch of turkeys they are.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

young_clinton wrote:
robbie_davies wrote:

It all depends, if I was married to a Korean woman and was planning on staying in Korea - I would have done my MA at Ewdeha, however, I wanted to work in the Middle East so that option was withdrawn for something that would be acceptable to them. It all depends on your final aims and goals.

My MS had only the thesis and thesis preparation course done online, and was done in a foreign country. The SACM didn't sign the degree copy when they returned it with the visa. The degree is also from SUNY, what a bunch of turkeys they are.

Yes, the Saudis are incompetent. I wouldn't want to base a choice as important as what kind of postgraduate qualification to choose based on the perceived incompetence of others.
Mikejelai

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know people teaching in Saudi with online degrees (USQ)
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikejelai wrote:
I know people teaching in Saudi with online degrees (USQ)

Fine, I am sure they are, they are looking over their shoulders all the time, I am not. I prefer the peace of mind myself.
Popocatepetl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robbie_davies wrote:
I am in the ME now.

In Saudi?

I heard that your employer keeps hold of your passport and you aren't allowed out of your compound, U can't talk to strangers and certainly not women, etc etc.

Is it really worth US$3-400 a month to endure a place where you basically controlled like a slave? I mean you can make the same money in Korea with a bit of extra effort..
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popocatepetl wrote:
robbie_davies wrote:
I am in the ME now.

In Saudi?

I heard that your employer keeps hold of your passport and you aren't allowed out of your compound, U can't talk to strangers and certainly not women, etc etc.

Is it really worth US$3-400 a month to endure a place where you basically controlled like a slave? I mean you can make the same money in Korea with a bit of extra effort..

I am on a multi-entry visa so it all depends who the employer is and what kind of visa you are on. My first Saudi gig was with bottom feeders extraordinaire EdEx and even they didn't keep my passport so the whole thing is overegged though I do have to say if a teacher is into the 'Thai' lifestyle of drugs, drink and women then they need to consider carefully working in Saudi Arabia. We tend to get a lot of teachers from Thailand who look at the figures who end up gong batshite crazy because they didn't reckon on day to day living here. I don't drink, do drugs and wouldn't been dead in soi cowboy - nothing wrong with any of those pursuits by the way - but if a teacher considering this place is one of those people - they need to give this place a miss because it is restrictive, no doubt about it.

I think the bottom line is can you yourself truthfully deal with the restrictions in place? If you can then a year in Saudi every four years is a sweet little gig and tax free.

I prefer how Saudis treat you than Koreans, so despite the societal oppression (which is real) I prefer my day to day life in a place like Saudi Arabia than Korea. Honestly.
Jodami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popocatepetl wrote:

In Saudi?

I head the same.

Be warned posters - avoid that place.
robbie_davies

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jodami wrote:
Popocatepetl wrote:

In Saudi?

I head the same.

Be warned posters - avoid that place.

So you advise people not to go to a place where you have never been to?

Smart kid. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: