Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Job-New Visa?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonkavite62

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:53 am    Post subject: New Job-New Visa? Reply with quote

I'm writing this message because I want to check the procedures for applying for a new job in Korea. I work in a public school, in Jeollanamdo but it's clear that I won't be there after the end of April when my contract ends.
1) If I find a new job in Korea before then what paperwork will be required? My BoE said that because my town hall doesn't want to stay with Jeollanamdo, I will need to apply for a completely brand new set of papers even to teach in the same province!

2) Supposing I found a job in a hagwon, what would the visa process be if I get the job before my current visa runs out?
What would the visa process be if I waited too long and had to get a D-10 visa?
Is it the case that I should apply for the CRC now and get my family to help me apply for apostilles from the U.K.?
ttompatz

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 issues when it comes to paperwork.

1) immigration.

They do NOT require new paperwork for your E2 to be extended, transferred or changed to a D10. The process is pretty straight forward and simple.

2) employers
- a) hagwons - you can transfer to a hagwon job with a minimum of fuss and likely no new documents from home. They are primarily concerned with you getting through immigration. As long as you meet the requirements for immigration they are good to go.

- b) public schools - They USUALLY require a new set of documents (apostilled degree copy, apostilled cbc and original reference letters) every time you change employers/POEs. If you think you want to stay in the PS system then you should order a new set of documents from home.
* this is an EMPLOYER issue and not an immigration one and they usually won't change their policies to accommodate an employment application.
- You get what they want when they want it or they don't hire you - pretty simple.

wonkavite62

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:34 am    Post subject: Enlightening! Reply with quote

Ttompatz, how very enlightening! I did not realise that the visa process for hagwons was that much simpler! That simplifies things. I teach 3 technical high schools in Yeosu. I was considering extending my contract, although I find Yeosu ******g boring! I ONCE taught in a small city in Chungchongbukdo, and the westerners (and even Koreans) were much friendlier & more interesting than this .
The public school system has its perks sometimes. But I was told I didn't reach the 90 percent on my evaluation needed to transfer. So I don't know if I can teach in GEPIK or in Incheon or Daegu public schools. The sector is in decline anyway, so I can't assume I will get a job.
Hagwons might be possible, but I refuse to work the 9 a.m.-7 p.m. schedule in some kindergartens. (A friend of mine did a midnight run from one of those). I know I need to check the school as well as the school checking me.
And of course, I cannot preclude a return to China, which is still a very interesting country with growth potential.
Troglodyte

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Enlightening! Reply with quote

wonkavite62 wrote:
Ttompatz, how very enlightening! I did not realise that the visa process for hagwons was that much simpler! That simplifies things. I teach 3 technical high schools in Yeosu. I was considering extending my contract, although I find Yeosu ******g boring! I ONCE taught in a small city in Chungchongbukdo, and the westerners (and even Koreans) were much friendlier & more interesting than this .
The public school system has its perks sometimes. But I was told I didn't reach the 90 percent on my evaluation needed to transfer. So I don't know if I can teach in GEPIK or in Incheon or Daegu public schools. The sector is in decline anyway, so I can't assume I will get a job.
Hagwons might be possible, but I refuse to work the 9 a.m.-7 p.m. schedule in some kindergartens. (A friend of mine did a midnight run from one of those). I know I need to check the school as well as the school checking me.
And of course, I cannot preclude a return to China, which is still a very interesting country with growth potential.

The visa process is the same for both. As Ttompatz said, the issue is with the employers.

If you're working with kindergarten classes, you probably shouldn't be working beyond 5pm. A 9am to 7pm job would most likely be a combination of kindy followed by regular kids. Regular kids classes won't likely start before 2pm at the absolute earliest. 3pm is more likely. Whatever the hours, 8 is the legal maximum. Beyond that then they need to make some special agreement with you. It doesn't matter how many hours your teach, only how many you're required to be at the work place.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: