Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best online banking in Korea with English support?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kjdkorea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:20 am    Post subject: Best online banking in Korea with English support? Reply with quote

What bank do you use?

The best English support you get?
RobertGR

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: KEB Reply with quote

Fortunately there's a branch nearby. Their website works really well, they have various special accounts for expats and they have English speaking staff.
littlelisa

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, I think you're missing your first sentence.

I'm going to go ahead and say KEB. I think they've got the best overall in terms of banking for foreigners and English language support, but not all branches will have English speaking staff.

Anyway, you'll probably be okay with any bank really, because I think they all have numbers that you can call for an English speaking person to help you. Worst case, if you're at a bank branch and the person doesn't understand you (or vice versa) ask if they have an English line and the person on the phone will help you through it, I think. I haven't used that service myself, but I know others who have. From what I've heard, most bank tellers will forget to mention it to you, so it's good that you know about it.
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KEB or Citibank Korea, perhaps?
With any bank in Korea, nevertheless, you still have to deal with the notorious 'Internet Explorer + ActiveX' combination to use internet banking. Some banks go as far as supporting other web browsers, but you can't avoid additional 'Please install security plug-in' shenanigan.
It's a regulatory mandate that has long been technologically outdated, but Korean lawmakers and banking authority never being so efficient, the problematic mandate is still in place and in force.
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake_Kim wrote:
…but you can't avoid additional 'Please install security plug-in' shenanigan.

One way to avoid it is to use KEB and a mac. That way you use a certificate and an app, the same as on a phone.
Jake_Kim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FriendlyDaegu wrote:
Jake_Kim wrote:
…but you can't avoid additional 'Please install security plug-in' shenanigan.

One way to avoid it is to use KEB and a mac. That way you use a certificate and an app, the same as on a phone.

Ah. I've never been a Mac user, would've never known that. Which makes me wonder though, whether all the things you can get done with an iPhone on 'mobile version' of Korean websites can equivalently be done on a Mac?
FriendlyDaegu

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jake_Kim wrote:
Ah. I've never been a Mac user, would've never known that. Which makes me wonder though, whether all the things you can get done with an iPhone on 'mobile version' of Korean websites can equivalently be done on a Mac?

As far as web browsing goes, yes. Safari for the Mac, for iphone, and also android's browser all use the WebKit engine. On mobile browsers you don't get plugins like Java, so that's one limitation on the mobile side. Any other limitations will be things that are forced by the visited website, like redirecting mobile users.

For banking, KEB gets around the outdated browser security rules by giving us a standalone app on the Mac. It looks like hell but works great, with all the same things you can do on mobile, the PC only website, and the ATM. I think using the app is much faster and easier than using the web would be for sending money abroad, transfers, history reports and everything else. I bet all banking customers would prefer it if it were offered as an option.

Anyway, things are coming around slowly. Hopefully within five years we'll be able to do all the same things easily on any platform.
RobertGR

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littlelisa wrote:
Robert, I think you're missing your first sentence.

I'm going to go ahead and say KEB. I think they've got the best overall in terms of banking for foreigners and English language support, but not all branches will have English speaking staff.

Anyway, you'll probably be okay with any bank really, because I think they all have numbers that you can call for an English speaking person to help you. Worst case, if you're at a bank branch and the person doesn't understand you (or vice versa) ask if they have an English line and the person on the phone will help you through it, I think. I haven't used that service myself, but I know others who have. From what I've heard, most bank tellers will forget to mention it to you, so it's good that you know about it.

Actually I made it the subject: KEB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Technology Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: