Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Egalitarianism.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/12/05/248791579/why-isnt-open-source-a-gateway-for-coders-of-color?imm_mid=0b4737&cmp=em-prog-na-na-newsltr_fluent_olc_20131207_elist

The race industry is targeting tech.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303615304579157900127017212?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

This is what happens in an institution with unrestrained leftism. Secret courts, no burden of evidence etc.
radcon

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titus wrote:
http://www.npr.org/blogs/codeswitch/2013/12/05/248791579/why-isnt-open-source-a-gateway-for-coders-of-color?imm_mid=0b4737&cmp=em-prog-na-na-newsltr_fluent_olc_20131207_elist

The race industry is targeting tech.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303615304579157900127017212?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop

This is what happens in an institution with unrestrained leftism. Secret courts, no burden of evidence etc.

I love this part:
Open source software] contribution takes time; I don't think anyone would contest that. Getting familiar with a project, finding out where you can fit into it, reading and responding to issues, testing and submitting patches, writing documentation. All of that requires a good deal of time.
Marginalized people in tech — women, people of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ people, and others — have less free time for a few major reasons: dependent care, domestic work and errands, and pay inequity.

Fine, black people have less time to do programming because they are poor and must work long hours. But gays? How do gays get lumped in here? And the disabled? You would think the disabled actually have more time to sit in front of a computer. Who knew that every single demographic other than white men had it so rough.
Titus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.businessinsider.com/male-and-female-brain-differences-study-is-neurosexism-2013-12

Quote:
Male And Female 'Brain Differences' Study Is Neurosexism

Say hello to nerosexism.
Fox

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That lady wrote a book. The "Reception" section of the Wikipedia article was funny.
Titus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sexual dimorphism is a result of sports says The Guardian (and the science writer of the year!):

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/07/brain-science-ditch-male-female-cliche
Quote:
As I have said, I have read this sort of thing before. I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. It is biological determinism at its silly, trivial worst. Yes, men and women probably do have differently wired brains, but there is little convincing evidence to suggest these variations are caused by anything other than cultural factors. Males develop improved spatial skills not because of an innate superiority but because they are expected and encouraged to be strong at sport, which requires expertise at catching and throwing. Similarly, it is anticipated that girls will be more emotional and talkative, and so their verbal skills are emphasised by teachers and parents. As the years pass, these different lifestyles produce variations in brain wiring – which is a lot more plastic than most biological determinists realise. This possibility was simply not addressed by Verma and her team.

Sports. This explains it. Sports. The Guardian.
bigverne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. It is biological determinism at its silly, trivial worst."

The science goes against his 'beliefs' and therefore he has to try and discredit it. Those on the left who attribute all human differences to 'culture' and economic disparities believe in their 'religion' every bit as fervently as pious Muslims.
bigverne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even old Father Christmas isn't safe from the left's obsession with race.

Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore

America is less and less white, but a melanin-deficient Santa remains the default in commercials, mall casting calls, and movies. Isn’t it time that our image of Santa better serve all the children he delights each Christmas?

Yes, it is. And so I propose that America abandon Santa-as-fat-old-white-man and create a new symbol of Christmas cheer. From here on out, Santa Claus should be a penguin.

It’s time to hand over the reins to those deer and let the universally beloved waddling bird warm the hearts of children everywhere, regardless of the color of their skin.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/holidays/2013/12/santa_claus_an_old_white_man_not_anymore_meet_santa_the_penguin_a_new_christmas.html
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:

America is less and less white, but a melanin-deficient Santa remains the default in commercials, mall casting calls, and movies. Isn’t it time that our image of Santa better serve all the children he delights each Christmas?

Yes, it is. And so I propose that America abandon Santa-as-fat-old-white-man and create a new symbol of Christmas cheer. From here on out, Santa Claus should be a penguin.

It’s time to hand over the reins to those deer and let the universally beloved waddling bird warm the hearts of children everywhere, regardless of the color of their skin.

http://www.slate.com/articles/life/holidays/2013/12/santa_claus_an_old_white_man_not_anymore_meet_santa_the_penguin_a_new_christmas.html

I'm curious. In your mental image of Goldilocks and the Three Bears, what color are the bears? Are they brown bears, black bears, honey bears, panda bears, polar bears, grizzly bears...What color are the imaginary bears in your world?
bigverne

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure about the bears, but I'm pretty sure Goldilocks was a little black girl with cornrows....or maybe I've got it confused with something else.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:

Quote:
Correction, Dec. 10, 2013: This article originally misidentified penguins as mammals. They are birds.

What the Hell?
Ya-ta Boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:

You can rest easy, bigverne. Megyn Kelly is on the story now.

Megyn Kelly has a message for all the children staying up past bedtime to watch "The Kelly File:" Santa is white.

The Fox News host on Wednesday discussed a Slate piece written by Aisha Harris, in which Harris detailed the effect of seeing the local mall's white Santa in contrast with her family's black Santa.

"By the way, for all you kids watching at home, Santa just is white but this person is just arguing that maybe we should also have a black Santa," Kelly said. "Santa is what he is and just so you know, we are debating this because someone wrote about it, kids."

Kelly said Harris "seems to have real pain" because of growing up around images of a white Santa, but argued the article "goes off the rails" when Harris suggests that a penguin serve as a new, more inclusive symbol of the holiday.

"Just because it makes you feel uncomfortable doesn't mean it has to change," Kelly said. "Jesus was a white man, too. He was a historical figure. That's a verifiable fact -- as is Santa. I just want the kids watching to know that. My point is, how do you just revise it in the middle of the legacy of the story and change Santa from white to black?"

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/megyn-kelly-for-all-you-kids-watching-at-home-santa-just-is-white-video

[There's even video at the link, but I can't swear to the quality. I didn't watch it.]
bigverne

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Science undermining the key plank in the egalitarian belief system; namely, that environmental differences (parental influence, culture, social class etc) explain different outcomes between individuals and groups.

Genetics accounts for more than half of variation in exam results

Differences in children's exam results at secondary school owe more to genetics than teachers, schools or the family environment, according to a study published yesterday.

Grades in the sciences, such as physics, biology and chemistry, were more heritable than those in humanities subjects, such as art and music, at 58% and 42% respectively.

To tease out the genetic contribution to children's school grades, the researchers studied GCSE scores of identical twins (who share 100% of their genes) and non-identical twins (who share on average half of the genes that normally vary between people). Both groups share their environments to a similar extent.

Comparing the twins' exam scores allowed the scientists to work out how much of the variation was down to genetics, and how much to environment. For example, when identical twins get different GCSE scores, the cause cannot be genetic, so it must be what scientists call "non-shared environment" effects – such as the better student having a better teacher.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/11/genetics-variation-exam-results1
Leon

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bigverne wrote:
Science undermining the key plank in the egalitarian belief system; namely, that environmental differences (parental influence, culture, social class etc) explain different outcomes between individuals and groups.

Genetics accounts for more than half of variation in exam results

Differences in children's exam results at secondary school owe more to genetics than teachers, schools or the family environment, according to a study published yesterday.

Grades in the sciences, such as physics, biology and chemistry, were more heritable than those in humanities subjects, such as art and music, at 58% and 42% respectively.

To tease out the genetic contribution to children's school grades, the researchers studied GCSE scores of identical twins (who share 100% of their genes) and non-identical twins (who share on average half of the genes that normally vary between people). Both groups share their environments to a similar extent.

Comparing the twins' exam scores allowed the scientists to work out how much of the variation was down to genetics, and how much to environment. For example, when identical twins get different GCSE scores, the cause cannot be genetic, so it must be what scientists call "non-shared environment" effects – such as the better student having a better teacher.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2013/dec/11/genetics-variation-exam-results1

Your first sentence and the article don't match. 42% variation in sciences and 58% in humanities is still a lot of differences that genetics don't explain.
Titus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leon wrote:

Your first sentence and the article don't match. 42% variation in sciences and 58% in humanities is still a lot of differences that genetics don't explain.

Interesting, no? ( 42+58 )/2 = 50. A nice round number. OKOK you win, you win, it's HALF of it, our prog utopia will use the other half!

Among those who study these topics the consensus is that between .65 and .85 G is heritable.

The problem is not solely that stupid people have stupid kids but that they raise them in environments that stupid people create. So let's say we have a family of idiots (80iq). Their kids will have the ability to outperform their parents IF the environment is proper. Dumb people don't feed their kids well, don't interact with them enough, etc etc etc. Next time you're in line behind a prole take note of food is in the shopping cart. Imagine what their house is like. Ponder how much TV they watch (and what shows).

So if you want the 80iq kid to become an 85 iq kid you'll need to remove him from his family. Which is what pre-k (and pre-pre-k {it exists!}) is all about.

xxxx

This essay is outstanding and basically a summary of what I'm on about in this thread (and most others).

http://t.co/yO0feWGEFU (opens a .pdf).
bigverne

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Your first sentence and the article don't match

Ok, I should have said that science is undermining the belief that only environmental factors explain different outcomes. The paper that Titus linked to talks about this...

"German educational psychology published its last book on intelligence testing in 1974. Despite the fact that PISA tests measure IQ very precisely (Lehrl, 2005), the terms “intelligence” are not mentioned in official German reports (Weiss, 2002). Some in positions of influence even claim that genetically-influenced differences in human intelligence simply do not exist. There are supposed to be no genetically stupid people, only poorly- educated people"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 3 of 24

Jump to: