Site Search:
 
TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seoul to Japan by bus/ferry?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Waygeek



Joined: 27 Feb 2013

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Seoul to Japan by bus/ferry? Reply with quote

Is there such a service? Is it cheap enough to justify choosing this method of travel over just flying there?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Bandito



Joined: 07 Oct 2013

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Re: Seoul to Japan by bus/ferry? Reply with quote

Waygeek wrote:
Is there such a service? Is it cheap enough to justify choosing this method of travel over just flying there?


You can catch the KTX from Seoul Station to Busan, take the Busan subway to the harbor and catch the ferry to Fukuoka. I think the prices now for one way to Busan are about 77,000. The Ferry is about 140,000 one way.
Depends on where in Japan you want to go.

Also, you need to have a certain amount of yen to pay for 'gas tax' when you leave the harbor in Japan. You have to buy some kind of ticket in a vending machine and give that to them when you board.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jodami



Joined: 08 Feb 2013

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy prices.

Just fly Waygeek.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waygeek



Joined: 27 Feb 2013

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Jo Laughing Flights it is! Cheers El Bandito!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mithridates



Joined: 03 Mar 2003
Location: President's office, Korean Space Agency

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This site shows it as 115,000 one way. Is it out of date?

http://www.japandoc.co.kr/reserv/reserv_boat01.php
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Waygeek



Joined: 27 Feb 2013

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still a bit pricey for what it is.

Air Asia doesn't seem to be offering flights from Seoul to Narita anymore :/ I wonder what happened there. And Jeju Air is your typical Korean website (install several plug-ins in 100% Korean that you can't read because somehow we can't accept like every other non-Korean website in the world).

Grumble Grumble.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to worry about saving 100,000 won by doing all of that, then you probably can't afford to take a vacation to Japan.

You are going to JAPAN. 1-200,000 won means that Japan is too rich for your blood. Take a hike in the Korean countryside.


Also, do the math- That Ferry route probably takes 10 hours longer at least. How much do you make an hour? Now calculate how much money you would make during those 10 hours. Does it exceed the amount you would save by not flying?

Penny wise and pound foolish. Sorry OP, not to be harsh, but think things through.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Bandito



Joined: 07 Oct 2013

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
If you have to worry about saving 100,000 won by doing all of that, then you probably can't afford to take a vacation to Japan.

You are going to JAPAN. 1-200,000 won means that Japan is too rich for your blood. Take a hike in the Korean countryside.


Also, do the math- That Ferry route probably takes 10 hours longer at least. How much do you make an hour? Now calculate how much money you would make during those 10 hours. Does it exceed the amount you would save by not flying?

Penny wise and pound foolish. Sorry OP, not to be harsh, but think things through.


Nah, that ferry takes just under 3 hours to get to Japan. Once it gets out of Busan harbor, it raises up out of the water and the jet engines kick in. You have no idea you're hauling ass that fast.

http://www.ferryto.co.kr/kobee.htm

Oops. Sorry about the price quote earlier. Looks like it will run you about 180,000 both ways to Fukuoka. That ferry also goes to two other Japanese cities.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Waygeek



Joined: 27 Feb 2013

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
If you have to worry about saving 100,000 won by doing all of that, then you probably can't afford to take a vacation to Japan.

You are going to JAPAN. 1-200,000 won means that Japan is too rich for your blood. Take a hike in the Korean countryside.


Also, do the math- That Ferry route probably takes 10 hours longer at least. How much do you make an hour? Now calculate how much money you would make during those 10 hours. Does it exceed the amount you would save by not flying?

Penny wise and pound foolish. Sorry OP, not to be harsh, but think things through.


What are you talking about. Think things through? You're the one making stupid baseless assumptions!

1. I've already been to Japan; if you're smart about it, it's not actually that expensive.

2. I'm trying to look for the cheapest travel options so I can spend more cash on my actual vacation. Had that option been an overnight ferry, all well and good. I was considering that option, because I wanted to focus on the western coast for my second trip.

3. You have no clue regarding my financials.

Jesus why do I even bother with Dave's. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
matthagwon



Joined: 28 Sep 2013
Location: Japan lite

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waygeek wrote:
Steelrails wrote:
If you have to worry about saving 100,000 won by doing all of that, then you probably can't afford to take a vacation to Japan.

You are going to JAPAN. 1-200,000 won means that Japan is too rich for your blood. Take a hike in the Korean countryside.


Also, do the math- That Ferry route probably takes 10 hours longer at least. How much do you make an hour? Now calculate how much money you would make during those 10 hours. Does it exceed the amount you would save by not flying?

Penny wise and pound foolish. Sorry OP, not to be harsh, but think things through.


What are you talking about. Think things through? You're the one making stupid baseless assumptions!

1. I've already been to Japan; if you're smart about it, it's not actually that expensive.

2. I'm trying to look for the cheapest travel options so I can spend more cash on my actual vacation. Had that option been an overnight ferry, all well and good. I was considering that option, because I wanted to focus on the western coast for my second trip.

3. You have no clue regarding my financials.

Jesus why do I even bother with Dave's. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice...



Try other boards, I asked for advice and got idiotic responses too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Steelrails



Joined: 12 Mar 2009
Location: Earth, Solar System

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my vacation has me worrying about +/- 200,000 won, I need to save up more money or find ways to generate additional income.

Unless you are habitually travelling there, then there is no reason for this kind of penny-pinching.


Quote:
Nah, that ferry takes just under 3 hours to get to Japan. Once it gets out of Busan harbor, it raises up out of the water and the jet engines kick in. You have no idea you're hauling ass that fast.


Dude is coming from Seoul, and unless you're all about Fukuoka, you are REALLY starting to loose out on time by not taking a plane.

Sorry to be a stickler on this one, but a common phenomenon I notice here amongst the youngens is a desire to save money by taking time-consuming methods of transportation that if you factor in opportunity-cost, come out rather poorly. Saving 10,000 won on a taxi ride, but losing 45 minutes of your free time by taking the bus and walking doesn't come across as very efficient to me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
wishfullthinkng



Joined: 05 Mar 2010

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is one area where i'd have to agree with steel. 10 hours of my time is not worth saving 100-200k. i even value one of my hours as more valueable than that.

also, budget airlines are pretty much the worst thing ever invented. last time i took air asia they screwed me over pretty badly and i ended up having to pay around 1,500 usd extra to cover their mistake. never again. i'd rather pay a premium and get to my destination quickly with a reliable airline and i will never make the mistake of taking air asia or most budget airlines again (to be fair, jeju air wasn't bad when i took it).

plus with a regular airline you get mileage, status with that airline's alliance, lounge access (free food and booze!), compensation if they make a scheduling error, etc.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jvalmer



Joined: 06 Jun 2003

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wishfullthinkng wrote:
also, budget airlines are pretty much the worst thing ever invented. last time i took air asia they screwed me over pretty badly and i ended up having to pay around 1,500 usd extra to cover their mistake. never again. i'd rather pay a premium and get to my destination quickly with a reliable airline and i will never make the mistake of taking air asia or most budget airlines again (to be fair, jeju air wasn't bad when i took it).

Budget airlines are good for short-haul under-2 hours flights. Also, good if you're not connecting, so you won't be in too much of a jam if they cancel a flight or something.

Otherwise I'd rather pay for the convenience of not walking on the tarmac to get onto a plane. Although sometimes it does happen with the big airlines.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cabeza



Joined: 29 Sep 2012

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steelrails wrote:
If my vacation has me worrying about +/- 200,000 won, I need to save up more money or find ways to generate additional income.

Unless you are habitually travelling there, then there is no reason for this kind of penny-pinching.


Quote:
Nah, that ferry takes just under 3 hours to get to Japan. Once it gets out of Busan harbor, it raises up out of the water and the jet engines kick in. You have no idea you're hauling ass that fast.


Dude is coming from Seoul, and unless you're all about Fukuoka, you are REALLY starting to loose out on time by not taking a plane.

Sorry to be a stickler on this one, but a common phenomenon I notice here amongst the youngens is a desire to save money by taking time-consuming methods of transportation that if you factor in opportunity-cost, come out rather poorly. Saving 10,000 won on a taxi ride, but losing 45 minutes of your free time by taking the bus and walking doesn't come across as very efficient to me.


What has this got to do with you?
You were wrong about the ferry travel time. Also some people want to travel in different ways. I took the ferry from Incheon to Qingdao for the experience and the price.

You've never been to Japan (you said in another thread) you have nothing to offer here.

As usual trying to start arguments out of thin air.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yodanole



Joined: 02 Mar 2003
Location: La Florida

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seoul to Japan by bus? Shocked I don't think so.....I don't think I'd want to take a train neither.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2013 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International