Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximmm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2013/11/116_145997.html

Seoul and Gyeonggi Province are reducing the number of native English teachers.

Education authorities say they want to replace them with Korean teachers, but some experts doubt this will be effective.

The Gyeonggi Provincial Office of Education (GPOE) has halved its 2014 budget for foreign English teachers to 12 billion won from 23 billion won this year. It will hire a total of 746 native English teachers next year from 1,207 this year.

The Seoul Metropolitan Office of Education (SMOE) and its district offices plan to hire 655 foreign teachers next year, compared with 682 this year.

“Apart from costs, more ultimately, Korean English teachers are capable of providing as decent a quality of education as foreign teachers do,” a Gyeonggi official said.
YTMND

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A Seoul education official agreed, pointing out that class sizes are getting smaller so Korean teachers will be able to teach better, foregoing the need for native teachers.

So, what if they did this to begin with using foreign teachers? Someone is going to try this "bizarre" notion with foreign teachers and see better results.

It's a straw man. Big classes with foreign teacher fails? Make smaller classes.

This means BIG CLASSES WITH KOREAN TEACHERS ALSO FAILS!!!

HELLO!!!! Is any of this getting through? Play the blame game and then pretend it is a fault of foreigners.

Quote:
The official said that Korean teachers also have opportunities to learn from native teachers so as to offer better English classes to students. Korean teachers’ English ability is getting better, so there is less necessity to hire foreign teachers at schools.

And exactly how do they learn from native teachers if the native teachers are not hired and in Korea? What is proposed to bring native teacher with Korean teacher? Right now, teachers are given an apartment, salary, and classes. If you don't hire us, exactly how will they interact with us?

Someone hasn't played this out.

Quote:
He said there are students who are proficient in the use of English, but for many others a native English teacher in school is an opportunity for them to use "real" English.

Exactly. Do you want to speak real English or not?
Popocatepetl

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

maximmm wrote:
Seoul and Gyeonggi Province are reducing the number of native English teachers.

They designed the system to fail and they did everything they could to ensure it did fail. Hiring unqualified teachers based on youth and looks, and then half of the racist co-teachers constantly sabotaging them in the classroom.

Everyone knows that you can't beat a native speaker. That goes for every language on earth.

Oh well. More business for the hagwons I guess! Laughing
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

Popocatepetl wrote:

That is an assumption that very well may not turn out to be true. Last time there were public school cuts did hagwon enrollment go up? It definitely didn't. So why would it this time? English language hagwon enrollment has been on the decline since its peak in 2009. More affordable options to study in the Philippines these days I guess. These cuts mean LESS jobs for us NETs. It is a very bad thing.
ThingsComeAround

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the article- quotes taken from unnamed Korean "officials" making ambiguous statements. Popo was right- the system was designed to fail from the start. After five years when Koreans are still afraid of speaking, maybe we will be asked to return- or we will get blamed for that as well.
nicwr2002

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the hagwon I work at, they will hire anyone who has lived overseas no matter how short the time. If the potential new hire says, "I lived overseas in an English speaking country." BAM! Hired without regard to their actual knowledge or teaching ability.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then those people pose as Western born gypos to the students and parents (meaning less jobs for the real native English speakers). It's cheaper for the hagwon bosses that way. Hagwons are all about making money and maximizing profits.
TheUrbanMyth

Location: It's not a superiority complex when you really are superior

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
Popocatepetl wrote:

That is an assumption that very well may not turn out to be true. Last time there were public school cuts did hagwon enrollment go up? It definitely didn't...

Your source for your claim I bolded above?

Also

Quote:
English language hagwon enrollment has been on the decline since its peak in 2009

Nope, in fact with the end of Saturday classes there has actually been a 30% INCREASE in hakwon enrollment since then on Saturdays.

Here's an article from 2012

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=2949493
Malislamusrex

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet Korean students have higher English skills than 1/2 of the Korean teachers.
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Quote:
English language hagwon enrollment has been on the decline since its peak in 2009

Nope, in fact with the end of Saturday classes there has actually been a 30% INCREASE in hakwon enrollment since then on Saturdays.

Yes, but how about overall? (If a student is not in the school, the odds are increased they will be in a hagwon (not necessarily with a native English speaker).) Halving the number of NET public school positions and replacing them with Korean teachers is not reducing class time, however. It's not as if there will suddenly be double the number of hagwon job openings.

Incidentally, with the end of Saturday public school classes, vacation time has been shortened for the NET. How's it feel to get less vacation time, TUM?

Last edited by World Traveler on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Quote:

Yes, but how about overall?

Incidentally, with the end of Saturday public school class, vacation time has been shortened for the NET. How's it feel to get less vacation time, TUM?

If you have 100 students per day and then due to the Saturday classes you get 130 (30% increase) that is an overall increase.

As for the vacation time I wouldn't know...I get as much as I always did. But then again I don't work for G/EPIK or SMOE.

Now, about that source I asked for above...?

Last edited by TheUrbanMyth on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
If you have 100 students per day and then due to the Saturday classes you get 130 (30% increase) that is an overall increase.

Divide that number by seven. It's not an overall 30% increase. It's an increase one day of the week (which means there may be a decrease other days as things shift around).
TheUrbanMyth

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

World Traveler wrote:
TheUrbanMyth wrote:

No, it's not. Divide that number by seven.

100/7 is less then 130/7? In what world?

And plenty of hakwons aren't open on Sundays.

And since hakwons are supporting the policy...it's fairly safe to assume their numbers are gaining...people don't support a policy that hurts them.

Last edited by TheUrbanMyth on Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
Now, about that source I asked for above...?

If I find it will you kindly shut the hell up?

How's this for a deal: if I find it and pwn you, you must leave Dave's for one week. Deal?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Gyeonggi province will cut half of the NETs next year Reply with quote

TheUrbanMyth wrote:
plenty of hakwons aren't open on Sundays.

And plenty are. I have first hand knowledge of that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Job-related Discussion Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: