Site Search:
 
Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry, No Koreans Allowed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Jyang486



Joined: 25 Nov 2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Fox wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
optik404 wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
Not excusing the behaviour of the idiot Korean tourists, but it seems the hotels have gone about it the wrong way. They could have just told them not do it, or put up signs saying 'don't leave your luggage here'. By banning a large section of their customer base, they are going to lose out and will probably have to relent in the future.


You really think they didn't do that? Hell, there's a park next to my house with big banners that say if you smoke in this park, you'll get a $100 ticket.


True enough, but it seems quite extreme to ban all Koreans because of a few dickheads.


Yes, it would be pretty extreme, so if these businesses are willing to give up a non-trivial amount of Korean tourist cash, it must be quite a bit more than "a few dickheads," don't you think?


Obviously must be, but surely it is the minority of Korean tourists. Banning all Koreans is a bit harsh, but like others have mentioned, it might help to bring home some of the similar policies in operation in Korea.


I have nothing to back up this statement except personal experience, but, I highly doubt it was a minority of Korean tourists exploiting the system.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lunar Groove Gardener



Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Location: 1987 Subaru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got bumped up to 1st class on a recent trip to
Hanoi. A Korea guy had the same good luck, and
sat several rows in front of me. By the end of the
4 hour flight, he had invited more than a half-dozen
people to come up and join him, they were standing in
the aisles, talking loudly, and insisting on as much
alcohol as they could get from the hostess. 1st class become
worst class and these guys were clearly drunk and just
trying to take as much advantage as possible with no
regard to the comfort or atmosphere of others.

Not surprising that this type of behavior is banned by
quality hotels that have to take other guests constant
complaints about such things seriously.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Bandito



Joined: 07 Oct 2013

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunar Groove Gardener wrote:
I got bumped up to 1st class on a recent trip to
Hanoi. A Korea guy had the same good luck, and
sat several rows in front of me. By the end of the
4 hour flight, he had invited more than a half-dozen
people to come up and join him, they were standing in
the aisles, talking loudly, and insisting on as much
alcohol as they could get from the hostess. 1st class become
worst class and these guys were clearly drunk and just
trying to take as much advantage as possible with no
regard to the comfort or atmosphere of others.

Not surprising that this type of behavior is banned by
quality hotels that have to take other guests constant
complaints about such things seriously.


Even on economy class, you'll see the Korean (usually ajumma/ajosshi on up) passengers getting as much beer as possible, even helping themselves as the cart passes by them, not bothering to drink it but stashing it away in their bags.
Also, what the hell is up with the cases of ramyeon that they take with them? Are they so cheap they're going to spend the money to go to another country and then eat crap instant food? I can understand the big 1 liter bottles of soju, but the instant noodles?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mix1



Joined: 08 May 2007

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lunar Groove Gardener wrote:
I got bumped up to 1st class on a recent trip to
Hanoi. A Korea guy had the same good luck, and
sat several rows in front of me. By the end of the
4 hour flight, he had invited more than a half-dozen
people to come up and join him, they were standing in
the aisles, talking loudly, and insisting on as much
alcohol as they could get from the hostess. 1st class become
worst class
and these guys were clearly drunk and just
trying to take as much advantage as possible with no
regard to the comfort or atmosphere of others.


Not surprising that this type of behavior is banned by
quality hotels that have to take other guests constant
complaints about such things seriously.

That'll teach them to bump up some random ajosshi. Classy. Were the people random Koreans or actual friends? Either way, that's BS behavior, even in economy class. The staff probably wasn't happy about it, but since they were probably being bullied like norae-bang hoes, they probably felt they had little choice. Too bad flights don't have bouncers to keep things in line.

As for "atmosphere", they atmosphere they generally seem to prefer is loud and chaotic, everyone else be damned.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cj1976



Joined: 26 Oct 2005

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Such a shame that people act like that and ruin it for everyone else. Koreans aren't wildly popular in the Philippines either, due to the selfish ajosshi/ajumma mentality. There is a real 'me, me, me' attitude - as anyone who uses public transport in Seoul can attest to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Smithington



Joined: 14 Dec 2011

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sad part is that next generation of adults isn't going to be much different. I adore my students but they are shockingly ill-mannered, pushy and demanding. Their mannerless parents and teachers don't teach them any different, so the mannerless traits we despair of are being passed down to the next generation unchallenged.

Refined Koreans are not.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Fox



Joined: 04 Mar 2009

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithington wrote:
The sad part is that next generation of adults isn't going to be much different. I adore my students but they are shockingly ill-mannered, pushy and demanding. Their mannerless parents and teachers don't teach them any different, so the mannerless traits we despair of are being passed down to the next generation unchallenged.

Refined Koreans are not.


If anything, I would say my current students are worse behaved than my students from even just a few years back. Students in general seem to be receiving less discipline than even in the recent past, both from parents and from teachers. In schools, it has been replaced with western-style, "Hey, don't bully, c'mon, please?" style campaigns, which are 100% ineffective, and at home, I'm not sure it's been replaced by anything.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jvalmer



Joined: 06 Jun 2003

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Smithington wrote:
The sad part is that next generation of adults isn't going to be much different. I adore my students but they are shockingly ill-mannered, pushy and demanding. Their mannerless parents and teachers don't teach them any different, so the mannerless traits we despair of are being passed down to the next generation unchallenged.

Refined Koreans are not.

If anything, I would say my current students are worse behaved than my students from even just a few years back. Students in general seem to be receiving less discipline than even in the recent past, both from parents and from teachers. In schools, it has been replaced with western-style, "Hey, don't bully, c'mon, please?" style campaigns, which are 100% ineffective, and at home, I'm not sure it's been replaced by anything.

I always wonder how some of these Korean boys manage to survive boot camp for their military service...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Bandito



Joined: 07 Oct 2013

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
Smithington wrote:
The sad part is that next generation of adults isn't going to be much different. I adore my students but they are shockingly ill-mannered, pushy and demanding. Their mannerless parents and teachers don't teach them any different, so the mannerless traits we despair of are being passed down to the next generation unchallenged.

Refined Koreans are not.


If anything, I would say my current students are worse behaved than my students from even just a few years back. Students in general seem to be receiving less discipline than even in the recent past, both from parents and from teachers. In schools, it has been replaced with western-style, "Hey, don't bully, c'mon, please?" style campaigns, which are 100% ineffective, and at home, I'm not sure it's been replaced by anything.


I agree with this. Years ago when I came here, if any student would swear or use foul language or fight in class, the would get a swift reprimand and a call to their parents. That would usually take care of the problem. These days I've noticed that the kids swear openly in class in front of the teachers and the 5th/6th grade boys will even swear at the teachers sometimes.

I asked the teachers why they put up with it and they basically said there's nothing they can do. When they call the parents, the mom's response is usually something along the lines of "Don't worry about that, just ignore him."

They really need to bring corporal punishment back into the schools here. Also in the US as well.

And cueing the pacifist discipline-haters in 3,2,1...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
John Stamos jr.



Joined: 07 Oct 2012
Location: Namsan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

0- don't hit kids with sticks. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fermentation



Joined: 22 Jun 2009

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jvalmer wrote:


I always wonder how some of these Korean boys manage to survive boot camp for their military service...


ROK Army basic training caters to the lowest common denominator. Grown men who can barely do ten pushups and run 2km pass it because the Army has to meet a quota.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jazzmaster



Joined: 30 Sep 2013

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love a Korean woman and her family have been nothing but kind to me, so I really wanted to argue the "most Koreans are fine, it's just a small minority".
Unfortunately, experience tells me differently. The Korean tour groups are among the worst groups of people I've ever encountered.
Younger Koreans who travel on their own seem to be the nicest. Strangely enough kyopos are also, in the main, a horrid bunch.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fermentation



Joined: 22 Jun 2009

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once I was in a airport in Bangkok and saw a group of asian people leaving their bags everywhere, being really loud and in general being obnoxious. I thought to myself, "Please don't let them be Korean!" Sure enough, they were speaking Korean.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
El Bandito



Joined: 07 Oct 2013

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Stamos jr. wrote:
0- don't hit kids with sticks. Evil or Very Mad


I'm not advocating that, but a swift paddling of the buttocks can do wonders
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cj1976



Joined: 26 Oct 2005

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

El Bandito wrote:
John Stamos jr. wrote:
0- don't hit kids with sticks. Evil or Very Mad


I'm not advocating that, but a swift paddling of the buttocks can do wonders


This is how it is done in the UK. At least how it should be. Maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jfowf3qePf0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International