Site Search:

TEFL International Supports Dave's ESL Cafe
TEFL Courses, TESOL Course, English Teaching Jobs - TEFL International
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sorry, No Koreans Allowed
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghostrider

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Sorry, No Koreans Allowed Reply with quote

Quote:
Korean tourists are reportedly finding new and creative methods of vacationing on the cheap at the Indonesian vacation destination, which is frustrating local business owners to no end.

Some schemes include tourists selling extra keys for their luxury hotel rooms to others who wish to use the hotel’s swimming pool without staying there, loading oceanfront gazebos with their luggage early in the morning to reserve their spaces and even launching online discussion forums to teach others how to complain and make requests for special accommodations in English.

SBS reports that these antics have prompted a number of local businesses to put signs on their doors prohibiting Korean customers from entering. It’s a bold and desperate move, given that South Korea sent around 25,392 tourists to the island last year, according to the Bali Tourism Board.

“There’s a pervading belief that Korean customers are evil,” the SBS report said. “There’s an ongoing movement to reject Korean customers. Some luxury hotels are turning down Korean tourists even when there are rooms.

http://iamkoream.com/bali-businesses-ban-annoying-korean-tourists/

It does seem like there are a lot of complaints about the way Koreans behave in Southeast Asian countries.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not excusing the behaviour of the idiot Korean tourists, but it seems the hotels have gone about it the wrong way. They could have just told them not do it, or put up signs saying 'don't leave your luggage here'. By banning a large section of their customer base, they are going to lose out and will probably have to relent in the future.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhetoric about how we're all individuals aside, to at least some extent the members of any given group are responsible for the reputation which they create and perpetuate through their actions. If expensive luxury hotels are turning down Koreans at the cost of having empty rooms, then instead of whining about, "A pervading belief that Korean customers are evil," Koreans should think about why that is and how they can correct it. Doubly so given they've already implicitly endorsed the underlying principle under which such businesses ban them by hosting "no foreigners allowed" businesses in their own country.
andrewchon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, it's that time: don't hate the people, blame the system. Laughing

Don't blame the Koreans. They are doing what the tourists have done since time immemorial: having a good time.
Don't blame the Indons. They are doing what the management tells them: make money!

Blame the system: It's a case of bad business model: of overly optimistic projections, absentee landlords, global economic downturns and staff that are not used to 'serving'. Indonesia, with exception of Bali, make poor servants. That's not a slight on people of Indonesia. They're just too proud to serve. Nothing wrong with that. Laughing

Last edited by andrewchon on Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:42 am; edited 1 time in total
optik404

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
Not excusing the behaviour of the idiot Korean tourists, but it seems the hotels have gone about it the wrong way. They could have just told them not do it, or put up signs saying 'don't leave your luggage here'. By banning a large section of their customer base, they are going to lose out and will probably have to relent in the future.

You really think they didn't do that? Hell, there's a park next to my house with big banners that say if you smoke in this park, you'll get a $100 ticket.
Mix1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are banning them, it's possible that enough guests complained about them and the business decided to take action. Or, they are just a pain in the butt to deal with as far as the management is concerned.

Usually, no business is going to ban a whole group unless the behaviors of the group starts to affect the business as a whole. Koreans have plenty of money to spend, but by banning them, hotels are essentially saying "You aren't worth the hassle."

It's a hotel, and these places are responsible for maintaining a good vibe to keep guests coming back. Koreans are often quite loud and can potentially wreck a relaxing vacation vibe pretty quickly if there are enough of them around.

In the last hotel I was at in Thailand, all the other guests would immediately bail the scene once the Koreans got back from their daily tours. The pool/bar/restaurant area went from relaxing posh... to complete chaos, complete with kids running around screaming until past midnight. Instead of ordering cocktails from the bar, they'd also bring soju bottles and litter the place up, making noise until well past closing time.

And yes, they thew luggage on all the best poolside seats trying to save them for that evening. The staff just piled it up in a corner, and when the Koreans got back, they got all huffy with the management about it. And let's not even talk about the all night door slamming and morning buffet madness... bailed that place after one night and it made all the difference.

A hotel manager we talked to once from Germany said they usually turn away Korean customers too, even if they have rooms available. It was an unofficial policy, not a stated one.
Captain Corea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a question - would you rather a stated policy like this - or an unofficial one?
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

optik404 wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

You really think they didn't do that? Hell, there's a park next to my house with big banners that say if you smoke in this park, you'll get a $100 ticket.

True enough, but it seems quite extreme to ban all Koreans because of a few dickheads.
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard a lot of complaints about Korean tourists, but I have never directly witnessed anything that bad. In South East Asia, the biggest asswipes I have seen have always been Australian or British, followed by Russians and Americans.
Fox

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cj1976 wrote:
optik404 wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

True enough, but it seems quite extreme to ban all Koreans because of a few dickheads.

Yes, it would be pretty extreme, so if these businesses are willing to give up a non-trivial amount of Korean tourist cash, it must be quite a bit more than "a few dickheads," don't you think?
cj1976

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
cj1976 wrote:
optik404 wrote:
cj1976 wrote:

Yes, it would be pretty extreme, so if these businesses are willing to give up a non-trivial amount of Korean tourist cash, it must be quite a bit more than "a few dickheads," don't you think?

Obviously must be, but surely it is the minority of Korean tourists. Banning all Koreans is a bit harsh, but like others have mentioned, it might help to bring home some of the similar policies in operation in Korea.
Scorpion

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what the problem could be. It's not as if they're loud, inconsiderate of others, make disgusting phlegmy sounds, spit eveywhere, slam doors, come home late and very drunk, speak down to staff, fill their purses with food from the buffet, smoke in no-smoking areas, eat their food in a nasty manner, bump into people, cut in line, refuse to follow stated rules, look down on south-east Asians, refuse to tip, bring their own food and alcohol to restaurants, litter everywhere, constant complain, demand special service, or anything like that. If they behave overseas just as they do in Korea, I really don't see where the problem could be.

Maybe someone can enlighten me.
Mix1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Corea wrote:
Here's a question - would you rather a stated policy like this - or an unofficial one?

For Koreans, or just in general? Obviously they can't make a stink about an unofficial policy, as they aren't likely to ever know about it; they'll just move on to the next place in their guidebook, finding a place that will take them.
Mix1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:
I don't know what the problem could be. It's not as if they're loud, inconsiderate of others, make disgusting phlegmy sounds, spit eveywhere, slam doors, come home late and very drunk, speak down to staff, fill their purses with food from the buffet, smoke in no-smoking areas, eat their food in a nasty manner, bump into people, cut in line, refuse to follow stated rules, look down on south-east Asians, refuse to tip, bring their own food and alcohol to restaurants, litter everywhere, constant complain, demand special service, or anything like that. If they behave overseas just as they do in Korea, I really don't see where the problem could be.

Laughing
Let's put it this way, when even the Chinese and Russian guests turn up their noses and bail the general area, you know there's a problem. That's what happened at the last hotel I was at. Granted, the place catered to Koreans, so they had the numbers on their side. But it is funny how they like to say how the Chinese are so obnoxious and loud, not realizing that that's how many others view THEM.
BigBuds

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scorpion wrote:

After traveling with Koreans extensively, I have noticed two distinct groups. The minority being those that have traveled on their own outside of the usual tour groups, and the majority, those that only travel with the tour groups.

The first, tend to be well behaved and mannered, polite, considerate people. Most likely because they have experienced this on their own not sheltered from the cultures and people of the countries in which they are traveling and learn from it realizing that a lot of Korean behavior is considered rude and not accepted or even tolerated in most of the world.

The second, tend to act as if they are still in Korea and the behavior you have described in your post is considered by them acceptable or at least tolerated. This is most likely because the Korean tours shelter them from the culture and people of the countries in which they are traveling so they never seem to learn any different from the experience of traveling. Plus the fact that most Korean tours are "balli balli" everywhere so they never really get the chance to truly experience or learn anything while traveling.

I really don't like the Korean tour groups but they can be handy for a quick cheap getaway. I just always opt out of the running around and meet up with them at the end to get the plane home, though. I really don't like feeling more exhausted after my vacation than I did before it.

When my wife (Korean) use to suggest travel, it was usually because she had seen a bargain tour package, the first thing I did was try and arrange the same thing on my own for near the same cost so we didn't have to use the tour groups. At first, my wife didn't like it but now she prefers it because, as she says, she can actually get to relax on vacation now.

Luckily nowadays, most of the traveling we do is because we want to travel some where not because of tour packages she sees on the Internet/TV so I don't have to worry about being on a tour group often. She still checks out the tour groups and once or twice a year she suggests somewhere because she likes the place and just lets me arrange it. We only end up using the tour groups maybe once every two years or so now.

We have at times used them though just for the airfares alone. I have found sometimes the tour package is cheaper then the return airfare to some destinations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: