Site Search:

Speak Korean Now!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Korean Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stressful Family Visit
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Konglishman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Stressful Family Visit Reply with quote

Well, I am currently visiting my parents for the holidays. And while it has been nice at times, it has also been incredibly stressful at other times. In fact, I would say this visit is on track to being my most stressful family visit. I will give a brief summary of why.

While my brother, sister-in-law, 8 year old nephew, and baby niece were here at my parents' place for about a week, my nephew threw at least four different temper tantrums in part over where he was told to sit and over his apparent reluctance to apologize to his grandmother (my mother) over breaking something. Evidently, my sister-in-law has never believed in proper discipline. It also doesn't help that probably due to him going through the holiday nicotine withdraw, my brother tends to behave in a borderline hysterical mode. And of course, just before they left (at the very last minute for the airport), I had to chase after my parents' cat who had gotten to the driveway after my nephew had left the door open.

After they left, I found myself facing some histrionics from my parents over a couple of very slight misunderstandings. For example, my mother was curious about a pre-prepared meal I had just taken out of the microwave. She wanted me to bring it to her and show what it looked like. I asked her to wait just a minute and then I put the meal on a plate. Unfortunately, she got upset that I didn't show her with it on the original microwave plastic bowl. Some of yelling of my parents at me then resulted with me doing my best to keep calm (although not perfectly succeeding). Ultimately, at the end of that exchange, my mother called me "an asshole".

And of course, my mom has asked me yet again why I am living in "Red China". I tried to explain that I enjoy my lifestyle and standard of living overseas and was only planning to stay in China several more years anyways. But basically, she concluded that she was ashamed to have a traitor in the family...

At this point due to all of the stress, I have to say I am thinking of calling the airline and getting an earlier flight back to China. I do think I need some advice.

Last edited by Konglishman on Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear about your mothers attitude regarding your job and where you're living, that would be tough to hear. Your mother should be happy that you're doing something you enjoy, not many people can say that.

Last edited by Hokie21 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Konglishman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't write all of that to make it a contest of who is under more stress. No doubt, your tight timeline for your visa and flight is quite stressful. So, you have my sympathies.

That said, I don't see you writing anything that specifically relates to family. Believe me, in addition to everything else, I am not particularly happy with my mother calling me unpatriotic. She has never before sunk that low in terms of guilt tripping.

I am not trying to snap back at you, but your post does seems a little tangential. Well, we all have our different struggles.

Anyways, as I have already said I could use some advice.
Hokie21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konglishman wrote:
I didn't write all of that to make it a contest of who is under more stress. No doubt, your tight timeline for your visa and flight is quite stressful. So, you have my sympathies.

That said, I don't see you writing anything that specifically relates to family. Believe me, in addition to everything else, I am not particularly happy with my mother calling me unpatriotic. She has never before sunk that low in terms of guilt tripping.

I am not trying to snap back at you, but your post does seems a little tangential. Well, we all have our different struggles.

Anyways, as I have already said I could use some advice.

Yeah my bad, I edited my post after I re-read it.

I don't know what kind of relationship you have with your mother but IMO a parent should be happy for their child if they are making a living doing something they enjoy. I'm sure she's missed you while you were away and maybe with you being back home for the holidays she's upset about having to say goodbye again. Regardless it's not fair to you to be treated that way and I wouldn't blame you for wanting to leave early but I'd sit down and talk to her about how she's hurt you while you still have the chance to do it face to face. You don't want to fly halfway across the world with this eating at you.
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP: Your mother is your grandmother? Interesting...

Regarding your mother querying why you "live in Red China": Yeah, my mother wonders the same for me. For some reason, she believes the entire country is still like the pictures of Beijing in the 1950s. Like my mother, your mother is holding onto her prejudices and it doesn't matter what the facts are. Do as I do and take my sister's advice: "Let her rant and don't respond to the baiting." Or you could have some fun and ask your mom why she is buying so much stuff from Red China herself thereby supporting that government!

I'm in the US now and leave for China in a week. Want some fun? Let's see if we can get both of our moms together to go out to a popular restaurant and then, even though there are Asian-Americans present, mine will just assume that "those foreigners don't understand English" and spout out racist BS, of course using all the standard ethnic slurs for Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, and Vietnamese. And she'll do this loudly. What will your mom do when she hears that crud in that setting?
Konglishman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:

Regarding your mother querying why you "live in Red China": Yeah, my mother wonders the same for me. For some reason, she believes the entire country is still like the pictures of Beijing in the 1950s. Like my mother, your mother is holding onto her prejudices and it doesn't matter what the facts are. Do as I do and take my sister's advice: "Let her rant and don't respond to the baiting." Or you could have some fun and ask your mom why she is buying so much stuff from Red China herself thereby supporting that government!

I'm in the US now and leave for China in a week. Want some fun? Let's see if we can get both of our moms together to go out to a popular restaurant and then, even though there are Asian-Americans present, mine will just assume that "those foreigners don't understand English" and spout out racist BS, of course using all the standard ethnic slurs for Chinese, Koreans, Japanese, and Vietnamese. And she'll do this loudly. What will your mom do when she hears that crud in that setting?

My mother is my nephew's grandmother, but yeah, I just caught my incorrect use of the pronoun "my" instead of "his". Hahaha.

Anyways, I am out in the town and it is snowing. So, I had better get going, but later, I will be sure to further respond to your post as well as to the previous poster. And of course, I will be sure to keep the advice in mind.

PS:
Where in China are you going to?
CentralCali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konglishman wrote:
Where in China are you going to?

Beijing this go-around.
3DR

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CentralCali wrote:

But according to Dave's, I thought only Koreans are racist and xenophobic?
World Traveler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet another great post by 3DR.
Stan Rogers

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow so many of you have hooked up with the wrong Koreans. I have no issues with my in laws. We get a long great. Tonight me and the Father in law are going to have barbecue and a bottle of whiskey.

Good times at Stan's house tonight.
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:
Wow so many of you have hooked up with the wrong Koreans. I have no issues with my in laws. We get a long great. Tonight me and the Father in law are going to have barbecue and a bottle of whiskey.

Same here, never had a problem with my Korean fam.
denverdeath

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:

Maybe he was referring to an xmas stint back home, like in Canada, or America, or wherever he's from? Most Koreans don't see much in xmas unless they're xtians (or got a gf they've got to woo), and those ones only want you to go to church at an awkward time. Also, he was mentioning driveways, and cats escaping, both of which are a rarity in Korea. Anyway. Last time I was home, xmas was great with my family. I don't get to go back all that often, so maybe that's what makes it more special, or maybe because we're getting much older. My mom's close to 80, and last time I was home, she cried on my shoulder as I walked her through the kitchen and out of the pain of a cramp she had in her foot - one of my most memorable experiences of xmases back home. We've had both great and terrible, and everything in between over the years. Anyway, xmas COULD be worse for some...
Hokie21

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stan Rogers wrote:

Which poster said it was their mother-in-law?
3DR

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did people not read the OP?
Died By Bear

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so funny Razz Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korean Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Off-Topic Forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: